Is the word "girlie" offensive?

• I've seen people on this forum throw this word around to refer to some female k-idols. Since English is not my first language, at first I thought it was just another word for "girl", but I decided to look it up on Google and this is what came up:

term1.PNG

term2.PNG

Is it really an offensive/degrading word? If so, why are people fine with its use?

• If Im calling someone girlie, Im implying they are child like when they shouldnt be

So yes, it can be used in an offensive manner

idk about its usage in kpop though

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• it depends on the context.

i personally don't like using the word because it deepens the gender-stereotype idea by calling certain activities meant for girls.

but also, it can simply be referring to the traditional idea of what a female was to make a comparison.

like i don't like it when people refer to me as "girlie", but i know they just mean i like a lot of things that have been considered as things that only girls do/can do.

that's just my takeaway from it, though.

• I've seen it quite a lot lately, especially in heated arguments.

As in "worry about your girlie", "your girlie" and things like that.

ohhh that's just a slang way of saying girl lol

kind of like saying hun or darling, kind of a way to address someone other than their name

• it depends on the context.

i personally don't like using the word because it deepens the gender-stereotype idea by calling certain activities meant for girls.

but also, it can simply be referring to the traditional idea of what a female was to make a comparison.

like i don't like it when people refer to me as "girlie", but i know they just mean i like a lot of things that have been considered as things that only girls do/can do.

that's just my takeaway from it, though.

I'm talking about its usage as a noun, not as an adjective.

Yes, it depends on the context, but if you're going to use it in a fight to belittle women you don't like, maybe it should be avoided.

I've seen it being used by WOMEN to belittle... women, if the meaning based on dictionaries is correct.

• I'm talking about its usage as a noun, not as an adjective.

Yes, it depends on the context, but if you're going to use it in a fight to belittle women you don't like, maybe it should be avoided.

I've seen it being used by WOMEN to belittle... women, if the meaning based on dictionaries is correct.

in that case, ig using girlie is usually said to indirectly tell them you're weak/naive because you're a girl.

soo not good at all :pepenomad:

• it always depends on the context of how the word is used...

in some contexts it can and does belittle women

in others it's not

for example: if parents are buying dresses for their daughters and one parents discusses dresses and the other might say my daughter isn't a very girlie girl (for example) which in this case just means it's another word for feminine

• I know it depends on the context, I just didn't know it had an offensive usage as well (as a noun, not as an adjective). :|

• I know it depends on the context, I just didn't know it had an offensive usage as well (as a noun, not as an adjective). :|

like if i called you hey girlie...it has the connotation of belittling you as a girl...

but again if two friends (F/F or F/M) said hey girlie that's just being friends like some friends called each other b**** you know?

personally growing up in Australia I would say most of the time it's used it's as an adjective

in the context that you mentioned like "worry about your girlies" the word there is really just synonymous for worry about your girls

• As an adjective, it's more often spelled as "girly" it seems and since we're on the internet, spelling is important to distinguish words and context.

If we are not friends and I start calling you "girlie" out of nowhere, I have the impression it might sound I'm trying to belittle you. It sounds very ironic.

• I didn't know it was offensive, I sometimes use it in a positive or teasing way, but most definitely never negative. Time to think even more about every word I write :|

• I mean just as google said, as a noun it has two meanings positive and negative. The positive one is just another way of saying girl but more in a cute way. I might still use it cos i never mean it as an offense idc, ppl are too gentle nowadays

Drop some moneY

erosezgif-com-gif-maker.gif896e43bc70930fa93538987bcf98568f828dbdc4.gifv 4ed3672a47d5a1db609af94f6965ecb4df788778.gifv 1569dce42941a2054232901ca03faba39b1d1fb5.gifverosezgif-com-gif-maker.gif

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!