Multinational Kpop group concept is a failed idea.

• It won't because the debut group will include no foreigner.

I don't understand, you said they will be foreigners on the show and suddenly the debut will have none of them? I thought there is contestant at least from China or Japan.

Nonetheless, the debut group probably will face the same results as other mbc survival show. I don't like mnet but their survival show is the one with high successful rate.

• Some groups from big 3 are multinational, but they don't have a multinational concept per se. They work either way, with some foreigners or going full Korean. Building around a multinational concept is a hard sell. Did this ever worked anywhere in the world? Where this concept would sell? I think it is a concept fated to not work in the first place.

Also, the examples given are from small companies that may not have adequate capital and know how to pull off a regular group let alone this unsaleable concept.

• This feels like this is more an issue of small groups trying to execute a complex concept. As others have mentioned in the thread, NCT is a multinational group with each sub-unit having a varying amount of diversity in members and content.

For example, NCT 127 not only has Korean, Japanese, American and Canadian members but has recorded in Korean, Japanese and English and during promotions will speak in interviews/create content with subtitles or spoken in any of these languages, as well as Indonesian, Thai and Spanish (that I've seen).

WayV has members from Korea, mainland China, Hong Kong and Macau and Thailand. They have also recorded content and done promotions in Korean, Chinese, English and Thai.

NCT Dream has members from Korea and China and has recorded content and done promotions in both languages.

One of the key aspects I think is that you have to tailor the content to the multinational market you're trying to reach. You have to make sure content is rapidly subtitled (or preferably, posted with subtitles already ready to go), which is one of the biggest changes I've noticed over my years following NCT. Additionally, many members focused on expanding their skills in other languages to not just know a stock phrase or two but to be conversational, notably in English and Japanese and to provide content in these languages.

Within Korea, I think it's possible for a "foreign" member to be successful if they have the other key skills (or at least a combination of a few of them - dance, vocals, rap, variety, visual) and work diligently on their Korean because if not, it seems to limit their promotional opportunities. (I can see how WayV members are getting more variety and hosting opportunities in Korea partly because their Korean has improved.) NCT is very candid and has running jokes around members correcting or praising other members' pronunciation or language skills and can work through this as an issue, as I imagine they could with other new members.

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!