What makes western groups less appealing than Kpop groups to you, if you have that opinion?

• Western music is not really group friendly, with some exceptions. It's really hard for a group to become popular in a market driven by soloists.

What had drawn me to the K-Pop scene is the system it has. The fact that groups come from different companies, participate in music shows, compete with each other and so on. It feels like I'm watching sports but it's actually entertaining because there is music and pretty outfits.

• like sshuqi said there isn't a huge market for mainstream pop or even rock acts right now in the west; but I've never been into western bgs and only into some ggs (Destiny's Child, Little Mix) with full-grown vibes and great vocals. Groups are mostly indie pop and rock.

I love dancing tho' and great choreography as well as live performances, so the groups i like give me that along with music I enjoy.

• There are not much pop groups like 1D, Little Mix, Black Eyed Peas in the west rn. Most of them are rock pop bands. I listen all of them. Big fan of Maroon 5, Twenty One Pilots (they're duo), Linkin Park, Coldplay, 5 Seconds of Summer, Paramore etc. Actually I listen all kinds of music from all different countries.

• Little Mix & 1D are the last groups I remember. I like LM, I was a Mixer briefly. 1D had many scandals so I don't really like them tho they had some good songs

There are also Maroon5, Imagine Dragons, 5SOS etc but they are more like bands than groups as in kpop so...

A good question to ask btw

• I don't hold that opinion. I think it is more difficult for newer Western groups to be formed let alone stay together for various reasons (bad contracts, pressure to make more money solo, etc.). A lot of the newer groups, both East and West, just don't have the group cohesion, aura, and vocal talent compared to previous groups.

Overall, talented guy groups in America tend to stay together even if they have internal issues and end up kicking a member out at some point. I think some lady groups tend to have more of an issue avoiding falling apart, especially ones with potential for being legendary. There is a history of it in the Pop/R'N'B arena.

I think it is a shame that South Korea doesn't have an established international scene and platform for their best groups and artists to relish in their longevity past id0l life. I think that could help with keeping the status quo higher than just looking good.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!