Why do male soloists not get a lot of hype (internationally at least)?

• Do male Kpop soloists deserve more hype? 9

1. Yes (5) 56%
    2. No (1) 11%
    3. No opinion (3) 33%

Question: Other than the soloists who are from active or famous groups, there aren't a lot of famous male soloists who are well known for their music internationally. Other than like Taemin and Jackson, I don't think people can easily name a song from a male soloist. I personally believe a lot of them are still super talented and make really good music so I was just wondering if anyone had any theories to why they aren't that famous.

Examples:

• A lot of post wanna one soloists are barely getting any hype internationally (or even in Korea). Here are some of my favs:

하성운 (HA SUNG WOON) - '스니커즈 (Sneakers)' M/V
    ♬ HA SUNG WOON 5th EP Album 'Sneakers'Itunes : https://music.apple.com/us/album/sneakers/1570578377Spotify : https://open.spotify.com/album/7p7iWEcSq10ObZvuM...
    youtu.be

김재환 (KIM JAE HWAN) _ 찾지 않을게 (I Wouldn’t Look For You) Official MV
    김재환 (KIM JAE HWAN) _ 찾지 않을게 (I Wouldn’t Look For You) Official MV #김재환 #Change #찾지않을게 #KIMJAEHWAN#FANCAFE : http://cafe.daum.net/KJHOfficial​​​​​...​TWITTER ...
    youtu.be

I know Ha Sungwon and Kim Jaehwan aren't the most famous wanna one members at all, but they were still relatively known. Other than Kang Daniel (literal wall in popularity), I don't think any of the post wanna one soloists are well known at all.

• Or even Eric Nam isn't that famous for his music at least, which is really shocking to me. Like if you asked a Kpop fan if they knew who he was, they would probably say yes but couldn't name one of his songs.
    • Gaho:
      External Content youtu.be
      Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
      Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I think Gaho also deserves a lot more hype than he gets as well. I know he gained some fame for the ost he did, but he still isn't well known at all.

• Woodz:
      Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
      Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

And the reason I made this post, woodz. I know his songs are kind of popular, but I don't think he has a dedicated fanbase just for his music, which is something I think majority of Kpop male soloists lack for some reason.

• Question: Other than the soloists who are from active or famous groups, there aren't a lot of famous male soloists who are well known for their music internationally. Other than like Taemin and Jackson, I don't think people can easily name a song from a male soloist. I personally believe a lot of them are still super talented and make really good music so I was just wondering if anyone had any theories to why they aren't that famous.

Baekhyun

• Most soloists do not get much hype internationally. The hype is only for groups. When they do get hype, it's mostly from fans of their groups. It gets even worse when their groups disband and the fans leave.

• But Dean, Zico, Mino and Jay Park are pretty popular too. Imo its just your perception but there isn't that much difference about them. A lot of female soloists go under people's radar too.

I don't think there are as many ex-members of girl group soloists who consistently release music compared to boy soloists. For example, a lot of ioi members joined girl groups or became actresses, except for Somi and chungha. While wanna one has kang Daniel, Kim jaehwan, Ha sung woo, yoo jisung (and those are the only ones I know for sure). As for the soloists you listed, while they are popular, it's still only a small number compared to the amount of male soloists.

• Most soloists do not get much hype internationally. The hype is only for groups. When they do get hype, it's mostly from fans of their groups. It gets even worse when their groups disband and the fans leave

That's what I noticed as well. I just don't understand why as many of them continue to release consistent music that sounds good

• This thread is just an excuse to plug gaho and woodz in all honesty sooooo

• tbh maybe its what you surround yourself with? Most kpop stans like boy groups and males in general (at least in the west, also this is just my experience) so whenever someone tells me they like kpop and I ask them what they like they always reply with boy groups and male soloists like jay park, zico, taemin, etc. its super hard to find western fans who like female soloists more than just casually listening to one of their songs (see: taeyeon being the token female soloist of bg stans in the west LMFAO)

source: trust me bro, for real

That makes sense. A lot of Kpop fans I know irl are usually into boy groups more, but I think it's hard to find dedicated fans of a Kpop soloist, no matter the gender. The reason I think male soloists are especially underrated is solely cause I know more, but that could just be me needing to expand my playlist more.

• Wait seriously? I just don't think they're that many girl Kpop soloists which is maybe why it seems that way?

There's many. Sori, MiSo and Alexa for example. Alexa is active while the other two flopped.

Most gg solos that get hype are usually artists that come from big3 or a popular group. But look at 2ne1 members solos. Many male solos that get hype for the same reason, but even if they had a relatively bad start they still have advantage. They usually sell better than even more popular female idols.

If it looks like female solos are more popular, then it's probably because of the same reason why ggs are often more liked and appreciated than bgs, but the sad truth is that a male solo have bigger chances at being successful than female solos.

narcissistic, my god i love it

JCsIq3Q.gif

• There's many. Sori, MiSo and Alexa for example. Alexa is active while the other two flopped.

Most gg solos that get hype are usually artists that come from big3 or a popular group. But look at 2ne1 members solos. Many male solos that get hype for the same reason, but even if they had a relatively bad start they still have advantage. They usually sell better than even more popular female idols.

If it looks like female solos are more popular, then it's probably because of the same reason why ggs are often more liked and appreciated than bgs, but the sad truth is that a male solo have bigger chances at being successful than female solos.

I 100% agree that male soloists are more privileged in the sense they get consistent releases, while girl soloists don't get a lot of songs and usually take huge hiatuses. But I think even with that privilege, male soloists aren't reaching the levels of popularity they easily could.

Unrelated note: I approve of your taste, babyface slaps (just like the rest of WJSN's discography).

• That's what I noticed as well. I just don't understand why as many of them continue to release consistent music that sounds good

From what I've seen, for most people, soloists aren't that much different from what they have at home. Groups are. That's why most stan groups, not soloists.

• Exactly! Thats why I'm a super rare pokemon card and you too can be one by stanning beautiful talented BIBI!!!! BIBI is not from a big 3 company, but she is an amazing female soloist with songs that are sure to make you stan until death!

External Content www.youtube.com

I don't know much about her, but I really like a couple songs by her. I think kazino is my favorite song by her.

• Y'all should stan Wonho and Wooseok too btw :pepe-heart-eyes:

narcissistic, my god i love it

JCsIq3Q.gif

• Y'all should stan Wonho and Wooseok too btw :pepe-heart-eyes:

YES. Kim Woo seok's music is sooo good. Feel free to just plug your favorite soloists (no matter their gender)

• External Content youtu.be

As the giant n.fia I am, I can't believe I forgot to plug Seunghyub's solo.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!