Do you think BTS rewrote the music business rules?

• I accidentally bumped my mouse at work and it selected this I thought for a second I clicked it and forgot but I have been avoiding this thread :pepeshock:

EXO - SHINEE - Nine Percent - 2NE1 - BIGBANG - ONF - BoA - HyunA - TWICE - SISTAR - SNSD - MOMOLAND - Red Velvet - ATEEZ - ITZY - TXT - BTS - MONSTA X - DREAMCATCHER - LOONA - Secret - T-ara - SUJU - After School - UNI.T - BLACKPINK - SHINGEKI

AKP-orange-theme-sig.gif

• HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA

boy group = revolution lol

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA

You're belittling them boygroup... And being a pioneer/revolution ain't related to being a bg/gg or something. It's what you did to revolutionise/lead the way. In BTS's case, they've broken down barriers to become the number 1 'boy group' in the world, opened up many doors for many of their peers etc.

Imagine a Korean group being number 1 group in the world, promoted Korea like no other. One of the huge contributers, among big corporations, in the Korean economy. Yeah, a mere boy group did that.

Hahahahaha!!! BTS has the last laugh.

:pepeshut:

• And I'll just leave this here, as early as 2018... Time magazine sure knows what is relevant and influential

FA956683-91-A9-4-A70-8920-2-F6553-CA5781.jpg

Not once but twice, Time mag gave them the nod - 'Time next gen leaders', 'Time entertainer of the year'. 2018 and 2020.

"A mere Korean boy group" did that.

• compare the beatles to a kpop act, then kpop fans wonder why people consider them idiots

The Beatles were not only a "boy group" but in 1962 England they were called an "Idol group" (funny how K-pop now uses this word). And many bands were put together back then (where do you think Ringo came from?), styled to a T (that mop top hair + suits came from their manager) with many them not even playing on their own albums (see: Session musicians for Beatles & Beach Boys) yet made great memorable music!!!

And they have said multiple times that their singing style on their first few albums was an attempt to mimic Motown "girl groups". You know the very company & their artists that have "Influenced" J-pop & K-pop all these years later.

Fun fact: Paul McCartney said he watched BTS go through what they (The Beatles) went through.

I know you will probably argue for the sake of arguing (DON'T YOU COMPARE=missing the point/misdirect) but I thought it was important for anyone who doesn't know this to not take what you wrote as fact without researching. Sources: The Wrecking Crew, George Martin, Bernard Purdie, Brian Epstein, etc.

Back on OP's point: The Industry is already copying their marketing. And those that are not copying are asking K-pop companies to make them a BTS. No those are NOT their exact words but its obvious as hell they see that IFPI list and want some of that coin.

You'd be crazy not to think that everyone in the western & eastern music industry is not trying to study just how ONE Korean singing pop group is selling everything from vinyls in the US (#1 music market in the world) to revitalizing dying magazine sales (NOT teen mags) and helping with TV ratings + social media engagement. And why editors are whispering about their fear of ARMY?

Again, they primarily... sing... in... Korean<- this will go into history books. Hell they are already in Guinness.

• for kpop, yes, of course, for music in general? LOL no hahaha they are a boy group ok ?, the BG have 0 impact on the music industry, even BSB had little or 0 impact

This is such a poor take.

Backstreet boys definitely had a lasting impact, whether or not you personally believe them to be relevant. I never loved them, but you can see their influence in the way popular music has developed all over.

People have been pulling this snobbery about pop music for years. The Beatles were dismissed as a boy group in the sixties, with manic teenaged female fans. Years later, people dream of having such a lasting impact or such critically rated music.

(Apologies if someone else said similar - I haven’t read the entire thread yet. Did this in the wrong order!)

• Absolutely. BTS/ Big Hit has changed the game forever. They pretty much did what Death Row Records was supposed to do back in the 90s.

Few labels came close, like Def Jam, but never got put in the position that BTS is in. They pretty much have the keys to the music game.

In the music industry, a lot of folks like to play follow the leader and BTS is the leader now.

This is a theory I'd like to hear more about. What Def Jam & Death Row have in common? My mind tends to relate it more to the 1958 - 62 American music scene.

• "have poetry-level lyrics", fans of one direction and BSB said the same

People don't even take kpop seriously, I really don't know how fans of this genre are so skewed as to believe that some Korean group will really have an impact outside of their country.

Now you're just literally saying anything. They most certainly did not in any universe say 1D had 'poetry level lyrics' - we won't even get into Backstreet Boys. Come on now.

So.... you think the group that was the best selling in the world last year and has beaten records held by the Beatles has no impact outside Korea? Is a top three touring act, and their only competition are these huge legacy musicians? Tell us more, I want to hear you justify this. :pepe-popcorn:

• This is a theory I'd like to hear more about. What Def Jam & Death Row have in common? My mind tends to relate it more to the 1958 - 62 American music scene.

Basically, Big Hit is living the independent label dream. They essentially own everything they put out. Jay-Z had to become President of Def Jam just so he could sniff the masters to his albums. BTS just walked right in.

• Basically, Big Hit is living the independent label dream. They essentially own everything they put out. Jay-Z had to become President of Def Jam just so he could sniff the masters to his albums. BTS just walked right in.

Yeah, it is really wild to see BTS/Hybe, who are NOT signed to a US record label, have Columbia(Sony) driving all over America to get radio stations play Butter. A lot of signed US artists don't get that kind of promo and complain about it on a regular. Blows my mind. Like, how?

• Yeah, it is really wild to see BTS/Hybe, who are NOT signed to a US record label, have Columbia(Sony) driving all over America to get radio stations play Butter. A lot of signed US artists don't get that kind of promo and complain about it on a regular. Blows my mind. Like, how?

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Columbia bought the rights to promote BTS in America....

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!