TWICE Singles' Charting Performance on GAON Digital Top 100 (debut - 2021)

• I was waiting for the forum to reset before posting this. Here's a graph showing the charting performance of all TWICE Korean title tracks on the GAON Digital Top 100 chart.

TWICE Singles Charting performance.png

This chart shows you how long a song stayed on the GAON Digital Top 100 chart. (Note that this only tracks digital performance - streams, downloads, etc., not physical album sales.) The solid lines are for title tracks of albums / EPs with new songs, the dashed lines are for title tracks of reissue albums / EPs, or for pre-releases like I Can't Stop Me. There are some interesting points that I spotted while doing this:

• Dance the Night Away is actually TWICE's second-longest-charting song, exiting the Top 100 just three weeks less than Cheer Up. It was saved by a last-minute rally once Fancy was released, and then built into the next year's summer.
    • Like Ooh-Ahh had some surprising longevity for a debut song. Much more of a sleeper hit than you would think. Even though it entered the chart at the lowest position for their title tracks, it actually rose much higher, even outcharting Cheer Up occasionally at similar stages in their life cycle.
    • TWICE's summer releases are particularly interesting - TWICE released Cheer Up in summer 2016, Signal in summer 2017, Dance the Night Away in summer 2018, and More & More in summer 2020. Cheer Up and Dance the Night Away, both bright songs, had incredible longevity on the charts, while Signal and More & More were darker songs and didn't last all that long. (However, you can feel free to argue whether it was due to the mismatch between the season and the song's theme, or whether it was due to the songs' poor musical compositional structures or MVs.)

Here's a chart showing their more recent releases, with some notes:

TWICE Singles Charting 2018-2020.png

• TWICE's newer songs are definitely not charting as well as their older songs - part of this might have to do with the chart reforms implemented recently, but it could also be taken as an indication that Bright-and-Young TWICE is more popular and listenable-to than Dark-and-Mature TWICE.
    • In general, we can see that releasing another song while the first is still on the charts tends to result in a bump (or at least a slowing of the decline) of earlier songs. Also, good end-of-year performances tend to make songs stay on the charts a little longer as well.

Some interesting statistics:

Song No. of weeks on Top 100 chart
    Like Ooh-Ahh 49
    Cheer Up 63
    TT 43
    Knock Knock 30
    Signal 22
    Likey 38
    Heart Shaker 36
    Merry & Happy 4
    What is Love? 29
    Dance the Night Away 61
    Yes or Yes 42
    The Best Thing I Ever Did 3
    Fancy 38
    Feel Special 22
    More & More 22
    I Can't Stop Me 10 (ongoing)

Average of all Title Tracks that charted in the Top 100 = 33.5 weeks on Top 100 chart*

Average of all (non-reissue) Title Tracks = 36.2 weeks on Top 100 chart

Average weeks on Top 100 Chart for Young TWICE (pre-Fancy) = 35 weeks

Average weeks on Top 100 Chart for Mature TWICE (Fancy & later) = 27.3 weeks*

* Note that these statistics do not take into account I Can't Stop Me's numbers, since that is still ongoing.

Thoughts? Comments? What else do you spot that is interesting to you?

• Oh nice graph!! I need to really look at this soon but one of the things I noticed is that ICSM and Feel Special has been performing relatively the same. I wonder if ICSM is actually doing better tho since ICSM is during the Melon reform.

• Oh nice graph!! I need to really look at this soon but one of the things I noticed is that ICSM and Feel Special has been performing relatively the same. I wonder if ICSM is actually doing better tho since ICSM is during the Melon reform.

Wonder how many weeks ICSM will last, hope for just 1 more then FS :wink:

Yeah, I think it would most likely follow Feel Special's trajectory, although given the recent bump, possibly it may last slightly longer. (I don't know though... I have the feeling Cry for Me is actually eating a little into I Can't Stop Me's hype). Still, both are amazing songs. I think this kinda shows there's a clear difference between what's popular and what's good - personally, I think both of those songs are extremely well-made, but it's clear that they're charting lower.

• Digital Queens!

Surprised that DTNA was the second longest (after, obviously Cheer Up) - always thought that it'd be TT

also cool to see how Like OOH AHH never really started off that high but then continued to grow and grow and became a HUGE hit especially after Cheer Up was released

• Cry For Me didn't chart at all in Gaon?

Not in the Top 100. There was a minor blip on the week of 20-26 Dec 2020 where it landed on position 164 on the chart, but it disappeared off the Top 200 the following week. It's possible it might chart again once whatever album Cry for Me is a pre-release of gets released this year.

• Their Christmas songs didn't do as well, sadly. I loved Merry and Happy. They only did official Christmas singles in 2017 and 2018 and now they just do members covering Christmas songs.

I was surprised to see Merry and Happy rise during Christmas and it peaked in the top 130 after they performed it. Not DTNA level of seasonal hit but nice to see people listen to it during the holidays

• ICSM bigger hit than M&M, yes.

It wasn't at first, but now it seems to be catching up and possibly surpassing it. :)

Here's the updated chart, as of 1 Feb 2021. I Can't Stop Me is the solid dark red line. Looks like the end-of-year performances in the last few weeks really gave it a solid boost.

TWICE Singles Charting performance Debut - 2021.png

• It wasn't at first, but now it seems to be catching up and possibly surpassing it. :)

Here's the updated chart, as of 1 Feb 2021. I Can't Stop Me is the solid dark red line. Looks like the end-of-year performances in the last few weeks really gave it a solid boost.

TWICE Singles Charting performance Debut - 2021.png

Is there update?

Interested to see how is ICSM performing

It might have missed top10 but it is stabilising on top50

• Is there update?

Interested to see how is ICSM performing

It might have missed top10 but it is stabilising on top50

Well, it's only been a couple of weeks (two data points) since my last update, but sure... here's the latest chart as of 19 Feb 2021.

TWICE Singles Charting 19-Feb-2021.png

We can see that ICSM has definitely surpassed More and More and is in Feel Special / Signal territory now.

• dizzcity

Changed the title of the thread from “TWICE Singles' Charting Performance on GAON Digital Top 100 (debut - 2020)” to “TWICE Singles' Charting Performance on GAON Digital Top 100 (debut - 2021)”.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!