Which is more profitable kpop or jpop?

• More profitable/devoted/popular? 12

1. Kpop more profitable (8) 67%
    2. Kpop popular (5) 42%
    3. Jpop is more devoted (5) 42%
    4. Kpop is more devoted (5) 42%
    5. Jpop popular (4) 33%
    6. Jpop more profitable (3) 25%

Firsr I seriously can't wrap my head around how the Japanese music market is the second largest in the world.

Influence and soft power wise I feel kpop is more popular. Ofc how popular the group is matters but putting that aside which one has more devoted fans?

• Official Post

KPOP does have more influence and soft power mainly because of it's international appeal and popularity.

However, JPOP is definitely more profitable as Japan has the 2nd largest music market in the world WITHOUT having to rely on other markets.. There's a reason both Western and KPOP artists approach Japan for extra cash, they still have a strong physical market which again, is very profitable especially when most of the world has adapted to streaming. With the right fandom/GP interest, you can sell thousands over there.

• Firsr I seriously can't wrap my head around how the Japanese music market is the second largest in the world.

Influence and soft power wise I feel kpop is more popular. Ofc how popular the group is matters but putting that aside which one has more devoted fans?

Japan still buys primarily physical albums and most of the population collects CDs and Vinyls so they are a key part of the market. They tend to support every artist they like even one song from as they view music as a artform that is required to live so they want to support them where they can. However unlike some of the obsessive fans in K-Pop most do not care if their idols get married and ask before touching them or even giving them a gift. There are a few bad apples in fan groups (AKB48 :eyes: we see your fans), but most fans are more respectful.

So, although K-pop really has focused on the west recently Japan is still their most important market as they are such an supportive country when it comes to music and other arts. I do not think that will change anytime soon. Especially since in Japan entertainment is everywhere from TV to collectable stores to album shops to anime figures to video game themed parks. Many people do not leave their own country there so they will always be looking for new things and buying more albums

Micah Forever

Benny's Smoll Bean

Utada-Hikaru-Blue-Stay-Magical-Sig.png

• K-pop probably has a higher ceiling of profit (BTS and BP probably rival if not make more than top j-pop acts) because how much popularity the top groups have worldwide, but J-Pop is probably more profitable on average across acts. So I would say J-pop is more profitable because we don’t really know if BTS/BP fame is a one time fluke for Korea or if another generation will continue.

• idk what there is to explain? Jpop groups seem to have more dedicated and borderline obsessed fanbases, even more than kpop acts. But again thats from an uninformed and unfamiliar perspective

Most fanbases are actually quite respectful however a few of the J-Pop artists, have questionable fans which have now made the groups infamous. :sweatr::siptear:

Micah Forever

Benny's Smoll Bean

• I thought Jpop fans were chill.

International wise we are. And most Japanese fans are too!

A lot of J-Pop groups have fandoms that mimic K-Pop group fandoms.

It's just that because of the AKB48 incidents, you hear a bad rep about J-Pop fans.

I would say 46/48 groups definitely have some of the more extreme fans but it would be like if everyone judged K-Pop based on Army/Blink.

Some fandoms are chill, some are loud, etc.

~ ω

• I'm not familiar with Jpop but from an outside perspective the fans seem more extreme

I am a fan and we are not extreme we just spam alot (hahaha like alot we broke the live stream chat once) but it depeds on the fandom

When I'm with you, a magical thing happens

• K-pop is more popular since it's more open to and targeted towards the worldwide audience. J-pop is heavily domestic and not that open to nor targeted towards the worldwide audience. Some Japanese songs are geo-blocked on Spotify and the ones that aren't are written in Japanese, so they're hard to find. There's a lot less missing tracks from K-pop artists and almost all have English-translated titles.

Anisongs (songs from anime) are probably the most popular because of the worldwide exposure anime has. But not all anime fans listen to anisongs and these are almost never officially released outside of Japan. They're there for the animes, not for the music. So even if anime is more popular than K-pop, K-pop is still more popular than anisongs.

J-pop is still the most profitable, since Japan is the 2nd biggest market.

• Official Post

recommend some groups so I can stop being uneducated and uncultured :eyes:

Stan FAKY :eyes:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Stan FAKY :eyes:

YESS

Micah Forever

Benny's Smoll Bean

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!