Is Spotify a real legitimate measure of success when it’s easy to manipulate?

• Even Spotify admits that it’s a problem. Unlike MelOn, which requires a Korean social security number to get a phone # connected to an account, Spotify is open to tons of countries around the world.

There will always be businesses that figure out ways to manipulate so they can profit. It’s a million dollar industry. And there are always companies desperate to get hype for their artists. So I’d put Spotify on the level of Bugs or Apple Music in terms of reliable success measure compared to MelOn.

https://artists.spotify.com/he…es-that-guarantee-streams

• isn’t it the same for youtube? should we stop considering views as a measure of success :melon_think:

Didn't Black Pink achieved 90MI through their YT channel? How its that not sucess? If anything else I think we should ask companies to clarify their spliting onto these views matters. BTS is probably the only group making the same or more IDK IDC from views but I think groups of smaller companies would benify of this

• isn’t it the same for youtube? should we stop considering views as a measure of success :melon_think:

With YouTube we all know. That’s why a bunch of stans always anticipate the loss of illegitimate views

But the consensus is that since it’s easier for regular fans to mass stream on their own, that it negates manipulation by non-fan entities

• Everything can be manipulated even concert attendance , they are robots that disguised as humans or clones , fear modern technology

But according to kpoppies , everything is false and Manipulated until my faves get it , then it suddenly becomes legit

• It's a far better metric than twitter fancams at least.

And one of the only metrics you have so deal with it.

Every form of music consumption has its cons:

1. Physicals - mass buying

2. Streaming - curated playlists and mass streaming

3. Radio - pay to play

The only thing you can't contest is touring power and the revenue and ultimately to me those are the most important component of being an artist as they bring the most money.

• Nothing is a reliable measure of success then. Spotify can be manipulated, Youtube views can be easily manipulated, charts can be manipulated, touring numbers can be manipulated(according to some people), people can bulk-buy albums, etc. Everything is a lie it seems.

I didn’t say it SHOULD’NT be used as a measure, but it’s not as reliable compared to MelOn due to MelOn having higher restrictions

• Nothing is a reliable measure of success then. Spotify can be manipulated, Youtube views can be easily manipulated, charts can be manipulated, touring numbers can be manipulated(according to some people), people can bulk-buy albums, etc. Everything is a lie it seems.

what I can't rely on spotify? or YT? or the charts? bulk buying albums? tours being manipulated?

but what is this success stan going to do? my entire being is being questioned!!!!! do I know have to resort to being a stan of a groups music now?

• The only thing you can't contest is touring power and the revenue and ultimately to me those are the most important component of being an artist as they bring the most money.

Touring numbers is undisputably a reliable way to measure an artist's popularity and success. And they're indeed the main source of revenue for a lot of artists in this day and age when people don't buy records anymore.

So I’d put Spotify on the level of Bugs or Apple Music in terms of reliable success measure compared to MelOn.

That's convenient to dismiss every mean of gauging groups' appeal on an international scale. Melon might be more reliable but it's Korea only so...

• I guess people have already forgotten how Melon was sajaegi'd the heck out of for a long, long time, how many K-pop fans denied it happening because their biases ended up high on Melon, only for the sajaegi to be proven consistently and factually correct by third parties - and even now it's not even 100% sure whether Melon has barred all the doors through which sajaegi did happen and can happen :rolleyes1:

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• I guess people have already forgotten how Melon was sajaegi'd the heck out of for a long, long time, how many K-pop fans denied it happening because their biases ended up high on Melon, only for the sajaegi to be proven consistently and factually correct by third parties - and even now it's not even 100% sure whether Melon has barred all the doors through which sajaegi did happen and can happen :rolleyes1:

Someone saying 'Melon is the most reliable chart' actually means 'my fave are charting the highest on Melon'.

Good for them, but I kinda like Spotify. It's biased as hell, but a lot of smaller kpop groups that don't make a lot of waves in Korea are actually pulling some numbers there.

• Didn't Black Pink achieved 90MI through their YT channel? How its that not sucess? If anything else I think we should ask companies to clarify their spliting onto these views matters. BTS is probably the only group making the same or more IDK IDC from views but I think groups of smaller companies would benify of this

...i was disagreeing with OPs post which is why i brought up yt since it’s such an important metric for success :pepewhat:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!