What do you think about Elon Musk trying to move to Mars?

• The more important question is, who tf would want to live on mars?

I cant see a big demand for that.

I would rather die on earth than live on mars.

A lot of people actually want to move to Mars. A lot of tech enthusiasts.

People that share the same ideology as him basically.

Exactly.

I would rather go to war than go to mars.

• I mean, sure.

But that money can be used to improve earth? Which cost less than launching a hundred rockets?

Tesla is literally there, Electric Cars, better for environment, and better cars in general

Also for the cost,

SpaceX has the lowest per flight cost in the industry.

One commercial Falcon 9 launch requires a mere 62 million dollars that's so much cheap considering that the booster can be reused in other flights as well.

In comparison,

Space Shuttle by NASA costs 450 million dollar per launch. Total of 136 (idk the exact figure) Space Shuttle missions has been carried out. Roughly around 196 Billion dollars in 2011 money.

You know what?

The exploration and subsequent colonization of Mars will be the most efficient and cost saving mission in the history.

Look,

SpaceX is a private company. Elon Musk created a satellite-internet project called "Starlink" which is currently is being executed, with at least 2 ROCKET LAUNCHES a month carrying 60 satellites.

Now, once this project has reached sufficient number of satellites, they will start the service and people especially in rural areas who don't have Internet connection can enjoy the benefits of Internet. Everyone signing up for this INTERNET is directly funding the Mars mission. Revenue from Starlink will be 100% for Mars exploration.

So what's the problem?

I love Pikachu.

Always have, Always will.

"Pika-Pi"

• It is not stupid. He is thinking ahead. Surely you have read about experts saying that the Earth is dying. It has been estimated that by 2050 there will be intense food and water shortages. Soon there will be a projected 10 billion people on earth. Covid19 is just the start of what is to come.

"that money can be used to improve Earth" No it can't because people are too selfish to give up their wants. They don't want to give up meat, cars or have less children. The economy is based on a neverending cycle of consumption and waste.

• Great, he is creating Tesla cars.

But what about the pollution he caused launching 100 of rockets?

Since June 2010, rockets from the Falcon 9 family have been launched 118 times, with 116 full mission successes, one partial failure and one total loss of spacecraft.

Upon reaching orbit, the world’s heaviest operational rocket will have burned about 400 metric tons of kerosene and emitted more carbon dioxide in a few minutes than an average car would in more than two centuries. That kind of shock to the atmosphere is stoking concerns about the effect that launching into orbit has on Earth, and it’s about to get worse.

There are so many reasons to be excited by this development. But one thing we’ll need to consider as space travel becomes more regular is how these vehicles might affect the Earth’s atmosphere at scale. Of course, right now we want to be clear: these emissions represent a tiny fraction of the human race’s yearly CO2 output. But if 1000’s of rockets per month carrying scientific or governmental payloads as well as a steady stream of space tourists: the environmental impact will be much greater.

Yes, he is trying to help the environment by making Electric cars. But, he is also launcing rockets. No matter how much you try to save the environment, that doesnt justify you to cause more pollution.

Yeah and also about the Mars exploration. May I ask, do you have a religion, and if yes what religion? And would you be willing to move there if you they somehow make it happen?

• It is not stupid. He is thinking ahead. Surely you have read about experts saying that the Earth is dying. It has been estimated that by 2050 there will be intense food and water shortages. Soon there will be a projected 10 billion people on earth. Covid19 is just the start of what is to come.

"that money can be used to improve Earth" No it can't because people are too selfish to give up their wants. They don't want to give up meat, cars or have less children. The economy is based on a neverending cycle of consumption and waste.

The earth is the best and only place for human. Aliens? That is just bullshxt. Theres no living creature in any other planets than earth. Because its uninhabitable. Moving away from earth wont make humans less greedy. And if they really moving there. The rich would be moving there, the greedy.

What I have to say is. God exist, The end of the world is near. We will all die.

• It's his money :peperich: he can do what he wants lol

Sherlock, No shxt.

This thread is about what do you think of the idea of him using his money to explore the Mars and possibly inhabit it? Is it a great idea or not?

What is your take on the matter of possibly him moving to Mars? Is it even possible for humans to survive up there?

• I hope he goes

So i won't have to deal with my tesla crazy frienda anymore

I hope we won't hear from him for a long long time, like.... If he's that rich then he can spend his money by buying vaccines for 3rd world countries

• lol, what does "exploring the space" have to do with "non- religious"? He is a scientist and he has a dream then he wants to make it true, it's just that simple.

I think exploring space is a good idea, earth is gonna be a doom in a few generations.

• I didn't wanna write a wall of text on this as this can be a touchy subject, but that's just one of my hot takes on the whole Elon Musk Mars Mission. From the perspective asked here in this topic, this is my 2 cents:

I guess it's not that different from anyone who dreams to move to another country. For the sake of comparison, it's like someone has a dream or aspiration to move to Japan or SK. It is complicated and it is a long term commitment. You need to dedicate your life for that and people may think it is foolish as well.

For Elon Musk, this would be similar. However, because he is a uber billionaire with so much personal wealth and (more important) access to shit ton of money from investors, his dreams and aspirations is going to Mars and try to build an exploration colony there. It can be looked as foolish or inspirational like having an average joe with average budget trying to move to a complete different country.

He is a fucking billionaire. At that point, their dreams and needs are over the top. Every one has their ego, wants, and dreams. It just a matter of scale.

I have aspirations and desires to help in environmental causes. I can volunteer in a non-profit and maybe donate 3 figure amounts yearly. That's what I can do with my resources. Bill Gates can fund an entire genetic project to store genes and seeds of countless species for the future. Same sentiment, just different scale.

Someone may like to have a gardening hobby and keep a 100 square feet one. Meanwhile Assyrian kings in Antiquities could bring big fauna animals and big flora for their vast gardens and hunting grounds from all corners of the known world when the fucking Bronze Age Collapse was happening.

It's a long way to say "it's his money, he does all he wants". However, what he is doing isn't really strange. Just the scale of what his resources can get is different.

My only problem I have would be the narrative of saying this is for humanity, or we need because Earth is fucked, or some idealistic bullshit. It is his ego project and it is a for potential profit project. It is for prestige and profits. The real intentions are being masked as a common good than for what it is. I understand that this is needed in this case as this type of project isn't an easy sell in any investor's table.

Personally independent of the philosophical, political, and moral implications this has, it is a cool project and aspiration to have at the end of the day. If I had this kinda money, I'd do something as outrageous to have my name marked throughout history. That's what a lot people with obscene amounts of resources did.

On the matter of can we make humans survive there? In theory it is possible. There is a YT channel called Isaac Arthur which deals with some math and available science knowledge and try to gauge the possibility of such mega projects. In theory we could Dyson sphere our whole solar system, it just would take the will of the whole planet and probably millenniums for that. The Cold War got us to the moon with basically Gameboy tech. With commercial tech and a madlad's dream we may be able to put a foot on Mars in a decade time frame. A self-sustaining colony on Mars in 100 years time frame seems doable.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!