Would Z-girls and Z-POP been received better by Kpop fans if these changes were made?

• I agree. However, if they would have gone with lineup I made and debuted with a more stronger song despite singing in english, the impression of the group and their looks would be better received. Especially for Vietnam's part. Like knetizens and korean companies would have a second thought about vietnamese appearance. ''Oh she looks like a baby Irene'' for example. That could change koreans perceptions of vietnamese and maybe open the door for trainees. With Queen, I don't think so many were impressed. She is pretty, but average. Some say she looks like Joy, but that's just it.

Hien Anh.jpg

It's hard to catch attention in a nugu group, especially one that is not considered part of KPOP. Even if the visuals included a baby Irene.

For a Vietnamese to open a path, they need to debut in a Big 3 group like Nichkhun did with 2PM or appear in major survival show like Yiren did at PD48 (where she was elected visual center.) Hanbin did the second by appearing on I-Land becoming a fan favorite (was ranked as high as 4th in the votes.) Hanbin doesn't have the same level of visuals as Nichkhun but he definitely had the charisma to get that many votes.

Despite Roy and Queen debuting with Z-Boys/Girls, Hanbin has far greater exposure despite not debuting (yet) because of I-Land.

The situation to put that defining visual for Vietnam should be on I-Land. Hopefully for the girl version next season!

Why do I watch survival shows? This!

• Can we just state the obvious that the majority of members (apart from Mahiro & Joanne) are from poorer countries that Korea looks down on. So obviously, Koreans aren't going to easily stan them.

This group was basically made for Southeast Asian people who were dying to get a representative from their countries in K-Pop, but they too were seeking validation from Koreans, so although they were super enthusiastic (on social media, not financially) about supporting the group initially, the enthusiasm died down after the group failed to make any waves in Korea (for obvious reasons.)

• I think the reason Hanbin got a lot of attention isn't because Roy & Queen are less good, but because they're from a nugu company, whereas I-Land is from Big Hit. I think people aren't dying to get foreign K-Pop idols, but they want their foreign K-Pop idols from the Big 3. I think that's the only thing that made Thai idols relevant - the fact that Nickhun & Bambam are in JYP, Lisa in YG, Ten & Lucas in SM, and Minnie & Sorn are in Cube, which is seen as a Big 4/5-ish company.

If Hanbin debuted with a nugu company like Isaac Voo from Malaysia or Loudi from Indonesia, I doubt he'd be as big. Same with Lisa. If she didn't debut with YG, she'd probably be another Dita, whose group is doing well solely on the basis of fans from her own country. If Dita wasn't Indonesians, I think Secret Number would be another Laboum or Cignature.

It's not just about talent or charisma, but having that platform of a big company & publicity.

• I think the reason Hanbin got a lot of attention isn't because Roy & Queen are less good, but because they're from a nugu company, whereas I-Land is from Big Hit. I think people aren't dying to get foreign K-Pop idols, but they want their foreign K-Pop idols from the Big 3. I think that's the only thing that made Thai idols relevant - the fact that Nickhun & Bambam are in JYP, Lisa in YG, Ten & Lucas in SM, and Minnie & Sorn are in Cube, which is seen as a Big 4/5-ish company.

If Hanbin debuted with a nugu company like Isaac Voo from Malaysia or Loudi from Indonesia, I doubt he'd be as big. Same with Lisa. If she didn't debut with YG, she'd probably be another Dita, whose group is doing well solely on the basis of fans from her own country. If Dita wasn't Indonesians, I think Secret Number would be another Laboum or Cignature.

It's not just about talent or charisma, but having that platform of a big company & publicity.

whats wrong with laboum and Cignature? Also I don't think SN is doing any better than those 2 groups it's just mostly I fans

• I think it's too gimmicky and wants to be everything at the same. Like, they want to jump on the k-pop bandwagon but in an all-Asian way with zero Koreans; they want to be invited and promoted in Korean music shows but don't sing in Korean. At the end of the day, who does it cater to?

• Maybe they would have been received better but I believe the reason they failed or are currently not doing well is because they were just not good, I'm sorry to any fans.

As for being banned from performing... I think that just goes back to Korea's dislike of Japan mostly and many other countries

• I really liked Z-girls tbh. “What you waiting for” and “Streets of gold” were very good imo.

I just never listened to z-boys. Their music wasn’t really my style. I don’t understand why they were banned from music shows though. That doesn’t make any sense at all. Did something happen?

• Well these Boys are really good looking. Might have to check their music too as Well 🥰

• A bit off-topic, but this is the girl who is rumored for I-Land Season 2. To be honest, she's even more average than Queen.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Maybe they would have been received better but I believe the reason they failed or are currently not doing well is because they were just not good, I'm sorry to any fans.

As for being banned from performing... I think that just goes back to Korea's dislike of Japan mostly and many other countries

I think they tried to cater to international Kpop fans. Especially from SEA. That's why I made my fictional lineup and what type of sound they should have debuted with.

Here is a quote from the once CEO and manager of Zpop groups Jun Kang:
    In an interview with the Korean JoongAng Daily, producer Jun Kang, who founded the Z Pop Dream Project stated that the groups "really want to appear on Korean TV music programs, but the barriers for entry are too high". He continued to state: “I’ve been working in the industry for 30 years and have many connections, but music shows tell us that they want K-pop and Korean songs and that our groups don’t fit in.”

• I really liked Z-girls tbh. “What you waiting for” and “Streets of gold” were very good imo.

I just never listened to z-boys. Their music wasn’t really my style. I don’t understand why they were banned from music shows though. That doesn’t make any sense at all. Did something happen?

In an interview with the Korean JoongAng Daily, producer Jun Kang, who founded the Z Pop Dream Project stated that the groups "really want to appear on Korean TV music programs, but the barriers for entry are too high". He continued to state: “I’ve been working in the industry for 30 years and have many connections, but music shows tell us that they want K-pop and Korean songs and that our groups don’t fit in.”

• A bit off-topic, but this is the girl who is rumored for I-Land Season 2. To be honest, she's even more average than Queen.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Well, those pictures are of her on the street with CAC, her cover dance crew. There was no profession styling or makeup so I don't think we can make proper judgement on looks yet. If she were picked by BH, they would have seen potential in skills and visuals.

Why do I watch survival shows? This!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!