Magnetic VS Supernova

• the biggest debut song in kpop history,

It's not bigger than Hype Boy and won't even come close. The song is already nearly out of the top 20 and Hype Boy was a top 10 song for essentially a full year. Like many hit songs, Magnetic had a powerful start but the combination of longevity and impact of Hype Boy is second to no girl group song in the history of charts.

I choose Supernova

• Supernova is a much better song. Clearly.

Magnetic has some good elements like that dreamy melodie in the intro and other things (the uk garage stuff etc) but the whole song overall is really lacking and very poorly vocally exucuted, and in a way that comes of as very annoying, flavorless and soulless. It also sounds whiny and even lame at times, like the way wonhee said 'coool' or whatver :facepalm: . Ugg...

It's a song that had potential but in the end it's just forgetable and unimpactful and the repetitivness just gets on your nerve at some point.

A skip for me.

• It's not bigger than Hype Boy and won't even come close. The song is already nearly out of the top 20 and Hype Boy was a top 10 song for essentially a full year. Like many hit songs, Magnetic had a powerful start but the combination of longevity and impact of Hype Boy is second to no girl group song in the history of charts.

I choose Supernova

You should know that remark was strategically placed to get a free bump on my thread. Like a moth to a flame. But I stand by what I said, it's on pace to pass Hype Boy on Spotify by the end of the year, or soon after. NewJeans overall debut was more impactful and Hype Boy may always be bigger in Korea but let's not act like Magnetic's performance isn't impressive, especially for a debut song.

• You should know that remark was strategically placed to get a free bump on my thread. Like a moth to a flame. But I stand by what I said, it's on pace to pass Hype Boy on Spotify by the end of the year, or soon after. NewJeans overall debut was more impactful and Hype Boy may always be bigger in Korea but let's not act like Magnetic's performance isn't impressive, especially for a debut song.

It's not unimpressive. It's also not nearly as big of a hit song as Hype Boy, which will be the most streamed song in girl group HISTORY in record time on MelOn, where it already ranks above every song but Cheer Up, and IS the most streamed girl group song in Circle history. There are levels to this.

Magnetic isn't even a year old and is about to drop out the top 20.

Hype Boy is 2 years and 2 months old and is still a top 30 song and will probably rise above the most recent hit songs with time, like it always does.

Magnetic's success was front loaded.

Hype Boy's digital peaks were suppressed by Attention, Ditto and then OMG.

And it was still the second biggest song of 2023, behind only Ditto. It was released in the summer of 2022 by the way.

I just ask that you to set the table correctly, even if you're just looking for engagement.

• Magnetic for me. It took me a bit to get into Supernova, but I got into it about a month ago. But Magnetic still hits for me. Song of the year.

I think a lot of ppls opinion would be different if MHJ (??) didn't do her smear campaign against them

• I'm in no position to be debating how much of a roll performance in Korea plays in determining the "biggest debut song in kpop", but I would wager many think it matters a lot. So as you said, only time will tell, and you may very well be right that a few years from now people will look back at Hype Boy as the biggest. But Magnetic is the biggest debut on Spotify and it's performance on there has been crazy. Let's check back in a few years. I am even kind enough to edit my OP.

• I'm in no position to be debating how much of a roll performance in Korea plays in determining the "biggest debut song in kpop", but I would wager many think it matters a lot. So as you said, only time will tell, and you may very well be right that a few years from now people will look back at Hype Boy as the biggest. But Magnetic is the biggest debut on Spotify and it's performance on there has been crazy. Let's check back in a few years. I am even kind enough to edit my OP.

I look at it like this.

Magnetic was objectively a huge hit song.

But nobody is naming it before debut/Ditto era NewJeans songs or IVE's biggest hits, and now Supernova, when we have conversations down the line about the biggest girl group hits of this era

• Yea I won't disagree with that.

However I'm convinced you spite voted for Supernova, I'm pretty sure I've seen you say you love Magnetic :pepe-hips:

I like Supernova better now :pepe-shrug:

I have a complicated relationship with Magnetic currently, but I still really like the song. It even played during my first reply in this thread...of course :eyeroll-pepe:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!