Question to SEA fans..

• I always see people say x group is popular in SEA countries bc they have a SEA member.. Is this true? Do Indonesians relate to a Thai idol and prefer them over Korean/Japanese etc idols? Because in my mind Thais and Indonesians for example do not share similar culture So idk it feels like saying Japanese like y group bc they have a chinese idol (both East Asian)

Your average ggs enthusiast...

• I always see people say x group is popular in SEA countries bc they have a SEA member.. Is this true? Do Indonesians relate to a Thai idol and prefer them over Korean/Japanese etc idols? Because in my mind Thais and Indonesians for example do not share similar culture So idk it feels like saying Japanese like y group bc they have a chinese idol (both East Asian)

I often find the people who gloat about “SEA views / sales” etc are the same people who haven’t even comprehended that SEA consists of different countries.

So..

• I am not from sea but it feels like people who say that just use it as a drag... like because you have member from sea all countries from there will like the group and that's the only reason they are popular, makes no sense. They also diminish sea numbers and sales, funny that these are usually the same people who scream racism and C.A for stuff involving them

• I often find the people who gloat about “SEA views / sales” etc are the same people who haven’t even comprehended that SEA consists of different countries.

So..

Maybe companies even help with this narrative. They always group the countries together.

• I am not from sea but it feels like people who say that just use it as a drag... like because you have member from sea all countries from there will like the group and that's the only reason they are popular, makes no sense. They also diminish sea numbers and sales, funny that these are usually the same people who scream racism and C.A for stuff involving them

True..

I just wanted to ask sea fans bc for example I’m arab and if say a Turkish idol debuts maybe they’d have more popularity in the Arab region bc we share similar culture religion etc.. but to me SEA consist of very diff cultures so I wondered if there is something that I’m not seeing

• Yup but does bp having a Thai member play a big role in bps popularity in Malaysia ? If Lisa was chinese will bp be less popular at least at the beginning?

I actually think that Lisa being Thai only helps in popularity of BP in Thailand.

After all, SEA is super diverse. I particularly can care less about Lisa being Thai or not. It is the girls as a whole who attract the fans in Malaysia. Honestly, i think being able to communicate in English helps a lot since it break down the usual language barrier between kpop idol and overseas fans

• Lisa is really popular in Indonesia (afaik). Like blackpink is popular too but even many of my friends and acquaintances who don't stan blackpink or any kpop groups in general, when asked about whether they like blackpink or not most of them answer that they only like Lisa, so in a way she helps blackpink be even more popular here.

But it can be different for other group so it's definitely not the rule.

• Lisa is really popular in Indonesia (afaik). Like blackpink is popular too but even many of my friends and acquaintances who don't stan blackpink or any kpop groups in general, when asked about whether they like blackpink or not most of them answer that they only like Lisa, so in a way she helps blackpink be even more popular here.

But it can be different for other group so it's definitely not the rule.

But do they like her bc she happens to be a fellow south East Asian? or just because she’s Lisa lol.. like do groups with thai member do better in Indonisia bc of the sea link that’s what I’m trying to understand

• But do they like her bc she happens to be a fellow south East Asian? or just because she’s Lisa lol.. like do groups with thai member do better in Indonisia bc of the sea link that’s what I’m trying to understand

I think for Indonesia, the only idol that they support truly just because they're SEA is Dita (since she's indo too) and that's it. Other thai idols like Minnie, Lucas, Ten are not really popular on their own, let alone make people stan them just because they're SEA. In their home country, they might be supported bcs their thai too (just like Dita in Indonesia). So yeah, depends on their home country too.

• But do they like her bc she happens to be a fellow south East Asian? or just because she’s Lisa lol.. like do groups with thai member do better in Indonisia bc of the sea link that’s what I’m trying to understand

Pretty sure not because she is SEA but because she is LISA. You dont see the same kind of support people give to Bam Bam, Minnie, Sorn who are also Thai

• True to some extent for me. Like all my friends have Lisa as their favourite member (I'm from Singapore) but that's only from my small sample of friends.

But having a SEA-sian member does help boost the group popularity a lot especially for the home country, whether or not it applies to the rest of the countries in SEA I'm not sure.

• They also diminish sea numbers and sales, funny

Introducing my controversial opinion #1

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!