Faker and Team Korea earn military exemption after winning gold medal in League of Legends at the Asian Games

• On September 29, Team Korea emerged victorious in the League of Legends competition at the 19th Asian Games, thereby securing the coveted gold medal. A significant win, it bestowed upon star player, Faker, and the rest of the team, the rare privilege of exemption from compulsory military service.

Under South Korea's conscription system, all able-bodied men are required to serve in either the army, navy, or air force. This mandatory service, usually seen as a rite of passage, is a significant commitment. However, there are certain exceptions. Individuals who have brought national prestige and honors internationally can be exempted from this obligatory duty.

Athletes fall into this special category. Those who win an Olympic medal or a gold medal in the Asian Games can have their mandatory service waived as an acknowledgment of their contributions to the country's stature on the global stage. This recognition extends not just to traditional sports, but also to eSports, due to its recent recognition as a medal event.

Faker and Team Korea earn military exemption after claiming the gold medal in League of Legends competition at the Asian Games
    On September 29, Team Korea emerged victorious in the League of Legends competition at the 19th Asian Games, thereby securing the coveted gold medal.…
    www.allkpop.com

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• :pepestare:

"Don’t judge a book by its cover. Everybody has a reason and everybody has a story. I hope people don’t judge a person based on what they see." Kim Taehyung

b9067265d2fcc30fa3ee1ba591881fc0865471a4.jpg

• Unpopular opinion, but they'd be serving in the interest of S. Korea better if they lost and enlisted rather than winning the medal. As an unpopular man once said, "From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs."

The skillset that top esports players possess is among the top skillsets that will be required to defend countries and win kinetic wars in the future. For example, kinetic military action will require rapid reflexes and hand-eye coordination when remote controlling advanced drone systems and reacting to the large amounts of data compiled by AI. In fact, it wouldn't be surprising to see militaries start new special forces units specializing in the operation of these types of technological systems, if they haven't already.

In the "higher phase of communist society" for talent not to go to waste, esports medalists would volunteer to serve and award winning idols would continue to release music and tour. The former would fulfill the need of national security. And the latter the need of national soft power. Too bad utopia only exist in theory.

• Unpopular opinion, but they'd be serving in the interest of S. Korea better if they lost and enlisted rather than winning the medal. As an unpopular man once said, "From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs."

The skillset that top esports players possess is among the top skillsets that will be required to defend countries and win kinetic wars in the future. For example, kinetic military action will require rapid reflexes and hand-eye coordination when remote controlling advanced drone systems and reacting to the large amounts of data compiled by AI. In fact, it wouldn't be surprising to see militaries start new special forces units specializing in the operation of these types of technological systems, if they haven't already.

In the "higher phase of communist society" for talent not to go to waste, esports medalists would volunteer to serve and award winning idols would continue to release music and tour. The former would fulfill the need of national security. And the latter the need of national soft power. Too bad utopia only exist in theory.

In reality it is probably way more beneficial for society to get rid of forced conscription all together. All those men would contribute way more to the country in the civilian workforce than the military.

With the way modern warfare is, I don't know how useful any military assets stationed on the Korean peninsula would be anyways. Military bases in South Korea and even Japan would be taken out easily and probably first thing in the event of a hot war in the Pacific. Australia is actually a far more important ally for the US in the region as large portions of it are out of range of Chinese and North Korean misses etc.

Also, the capital of South Korea, Seoul is near the border with North Korea and within the range of conventional artillery and could be shelled by artillery barrages at any time.

╬ Life Has Meaning ╬

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Edited 3 times, last by Yseki ().

• In reality it is probably way more beneficial for society to get rid of forced conscription all together. All those men would contribute way more to the country in the civilian workforce than the military.

With the way modern warfare is, I don't know how useful any military assets stationed on the Korean peninsula would be anyways. Military bases in South Korea and even Japan would be taken out easily and probably first thing in the event of a hot war in the Pacific. Australia is actually a far more important ally for the US in the region as large portions of it are out of range of Chinese and North Korean misses etc.

one con of what you said

is that Russians also said they will take Ukraine in 3 days

and here we are...

• one con of what you said

is that Russians also said they will take Ukraine in 3 days

and here we are...

Ukraine is over 500% larger than South Korea.

Russia failed to meet its objectives early in the invasion more from their own incompetence than anything. They made a ton of mistakes even with basic planning and coordinating ground and air forces etc. If they had not bungled things up it would a lot different.

Iraq lost the conventional war to the US in a month for example.

France had the most powerful military in the world before WW2 but it had bad leadership and was very poor at the tactical and operational level which is why it lost to Germany in the manner it did.

It would be much more useful for SK to have a professional volunteer elite military than a conscript army in my opinion.

╬ Life Has Meaning ╬

Edited once, last by Yseki ().

• Wow, you know a lot!?

Are you a history buff or something? :check-bee:

PGDPGT PRETTY GIRLS DOING PRETTY GIRL THINGS

417aa1c7e1372f9ae29d8e2f659d3f12cf0db4d9.gifv0d1493f18550d15d02f4c2bba44c12bdc01f518d.gifv

• 6 times not 500 :)

overall also remember that there were Russian people already living and working there as well in most east parts of the country

also I get your point don't get me wrong but overall the whole attack on military bases will only work if it's atomic bomb

current conflict in Ukraine already proved that just sending some regular rockets doesn't; work anymore

overall also remember that there were Russian people already living and working there as well in most east parts of the country

also I get your point don't get me wrong but overall the whole attack on military bases will only work if it's atomic bomb

current conflict in Ukraine already proved that just sending some regular rockets doesn't; work anymore

I made a mistake haha, I meant over 500% not 500 times haha.

╬ Life Has Meaning ╬

• Wow, you know a lot!?

Are you a history buff or something? :check-bee:

I do like history, but my main interests are actually economics and linguistics lol.

╬ Life Has Meaning ╬

I think it's going to be a really long war because both sides are entrenched now, but I think a war of attrition is slightly in Russia's favor, as Ukraine really does need Europe and the US to keep supporting it win. I don't know if there is the political will to do so in Washington and Brussels. Both the EU and the US are democratic in general and if the voters get tired of spending tax dollars in Ukraine and paying higher energy costs it could prove to be highly unpopular like Vietnam was.

╬ Life Has Meaning ╬

• I think it's going to be a really long war because both sides are entrenched now, but I think a war of attrition is slightly in Russia's favor, as Ukraine really does need Europe and the US to keep supporting it win. I don't know if there is the political will to do so in Washington and Brussels. Both the EU and the US are democratic in general and if the voters get tired of spending tax dollars in Ukraine and paying higher energy costs it could prove to be highly unpopular like Vietnam was.

I believe it doesn't work this way in European Union tho

especially that elections to government are once in 4/5/6 years depends on country

so gov themselves decide what to give and to do and people have no say in it

as for US you can clearly see that Biden is signing more and more 'aid' packages, the same goes for EU countries

honestly would be best if just Ukrainians somehow get to Crimea and create some stalemate which would at some point cause the 'peace talks'

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!