Lmfao Little Mermaid flopped in Asia and Reddit is wondering "why racism"

• Despite having a good 100mln opening in US, it flopped all across Asia. And by that I mean flop flop, literally pennies.

For comparison Aladdin did 1 billion worldwide and around 250 million of it came from China, Japan and Korea alone.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• eh

Didn't Mulan also flopped really bad in East Asia?

Aladdin did well bc princess Jasmin actress is beautiful and her custom designs were also top notch despite not being so accurate.

They were more Indian inspired than Arab.

External Content www.youtube.com

• Aladdin did fantastic thanks to Naomi Scott in China. And Naomi Scott only. Speechless was a massive hit and turned people's minds around. The rest of the movie was kind of mismatched to the original vibe and while cnetz/knetz were okay with Will Scott he's no Robin Williams. Also one thing - Aladdin is a Disney Classic, which means it did far better in the BO originally than movies like TLM, who actually didn't gross as much in comparison overseas. TLM is going to do far better in America than originally expected, which is a tradeoff the investors were likely okay with.

• East Asian cultures are open about their colorism and will just outright say to each other that it's a shame the protagonist is darker skinned. Once again it comes to Lookism. The appeal to them of Western culture is WHITENESS, so if they don't see it they will be disappointed or sometimes even angry, especially the Chinese netizens, as they are more brazen with it.

• this is not racism it about faithful to the original adaptation
    because we( they) want an aesthetical pleasing disney princess
    or at least closer to the original Ariel 90s Little Mermaid

and that good it flop all over asia
    Hollywood push too much other agenda making a movie
    they better make a new disney princess or make an exact copy of them if they like to remake

also look at the

sailor moon

rouroni kenshin

gintama
    ranma

prison school
    death note
    Kakegurui
    and other japanese live action

the fans worried about the likeness to the anime
    but thankfully it close to the original adaptation
    and some of them exceed the anime

like Kakeguri and 1st three movie of Death Note

then compared to the

cowboy bepop netflix
    the dragon ball evolution

doa live action - from video game dead or alive

it flop because it not look alike ..

the west is not faithful to the original

that why they flop

Edited 4 times, last by Michael-6 ().

• I wonder what they're gonna do once they've remade everything... Start the next round of remakes? And they aren't even particularly good remakes at that. They're neither faithful to the source material nor do they add anything new or interesting to those well known stories.

I was also far from impressed by the trailer. I saw it in 3d when I went to watch Guardians of the Galaxy and all the characters looked like a bunch of floating cardboard cutouts.

• I wonder what they're gonna do once they've remade everything... Start the next round of remakes? And they aren't even particularly good remakes at that. They're neither faithful to the source material nor do they add anything new or interesting to those well known stories.

I was also far from impressed by the trailer. I saw it in 3d when I went to watch Guardians of the Galaxy and all the characters looked like a bunch of floating cardboard cutouts.

Hollywood makes a new Cinderella movie every other year

I dont understand how it is still profitable

External Content www.youtube.com

It is not that remakes and sequels are necessarily bad, it is just that they are making stupid changes to update them to "modern audiences". Like for example with this particular film from what I am hearing they removed all the agency from prince Eric, he is unimportant in this.

They are also about to drop a new Indiana Johns movies where a younger female counterpart is better than him in every way and lectures him about stealing from indegenous people. Like who's gonna want to watch a movie where your favorite hero is being brought down constantly.

• snow flakes all around

It is not that remakes and sequels are necessarily bad, it is just that they are making stupid changes to update them to "modern audiences". Like for example with this particular film from what I am hearing they removed all the agency from prince Eric, he is unimportant in this.

And this is why we don't go off hearsay. He is important, he's just not the only motivation for her. They honestly have better chemistry and interests in the movie. The only major difference is he didn't kill Ursula, she did

Complex is over-rated, Ill go up higher and shine brighter than anyone else

BLACKPINKJESSICANEWJEANSSEJEONGTHE ROSETWICEYERIN BAEKYUKIKATHE VOLUNTEERS

ee868cb541261094eb3c49077579820d9d2684ef.gifv259551f29b1b419b0910ccd1ffe7a59b3ca03dbb.gifv9179a574e42e68a00c37635d5151fe4ebba30003.gifv9fbbfdae9fd592cc7858e29f534e290375563da9.gifv

• The only major difference is he didn't kill Ursula, she did

That's exactly what I am referring to, it is weird you're trying to undermine it as if it is nothing. In the original he kills Ursula, saves Ariel and her family and by that changing Triton's view of humans and allowing Ariel to go and live with him a human life. In this, the arcs of Triton and Eric are both ruined because of that scene.

• It is not that remakes and sequels are necessarily bad, it is just that they are making stupid changes to update them to "modern audiences". Like for example with this particular film from what I am hearing they removed all the agency from prince Eric, he is unimportant in this.

They are also about to drop a new Indiana Johns movies where a younger female counterpart is better than him in every way and lectures him about stealing from indegenous people. Like who's gonna want to watch a movie where your favorite hero is being brought down constantly.

Sounds suspiciously like the Star Wars sequels.

• That's exactly what I am referring to, it is weird you're trying to undermine it as if it is nothing. In the original he kills Ursula, saves Ariel and her family and by that changing Triton's view of humans and allowing Ariel to go and live with him a human life. In this, the arcs of Triton and Eric are both ruined because of that scene.

Because it's nothing and that's not stripping agency and making him useless? He still goes there to fight for her.

And Eric killing Ursula was never the reason Triton changed his mind, it was always about acknowledging Ariel's desires even if it ran counter to his

External Content youtu.be

Complex is over-rated, Ill go up higher and shine brighter than anyone else

BLACKPINKJESSICANEWJEANSSEJEONGTHE ROSETWICEYERIN BAEKYUKIKATHE VOLUNTEERS

ee868cb541261094eb3c49077579820d9d2684ef.gifv259551f29b1b419b0910ccd1ffe7a59b3ca03dbb.gifv9179a574e42e68a00c37635d5151fe4ebba30003.gifv9fbbfdae9fd592cc7858e29f534e290375563da9.gifv

• East Asian cultures are open about their colorism and will just outright say to each other that it's a shame the protagonist is darker skinned. Once again it comes to Lookism. The appeal to them of Western culture is WHITENESS, so if they don't see it they will be disappointed or sometimes even angry, especially the Chinese netizens, as they are more brazen with it.

To an extent - Black Panther did fantastic abroad.

• To an extent - Black Panther did fantastic abroad.

The expectation was a white produced IP with black protagonists, which is what they got. Very different from their idea of the mermaid as a white young girl. And Black men tend to be more accepted in East Asian media than black women in general, like Hyunmin, Sam Okyere, Jonathan, Jerry in Korea, but fewer recognizable black women.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!