Forbes: The Grammys Once Again Did The Bare Minimum For BTS (discussion)

• The Grammys Once Again Did The Bare Minimum For BTS

The 63rd Annual Grammy Awards took place last night, and no, BTS didn’t win.

If that feels like an abrupt way to start an article, then it matches how the Recording Academy unceremoniously dispensed with the Best Pop Duo/Group Performance award, for which BTS’s “Dynamite” was nominated, early in the evening. Before the telecast even started, Lady Gaga and Ariana Grande’s “Rain on Me” snagged the trophy, beating the Korean pop septet’s record-breaking hit. But that didn’t stop the Grammys from relentlessly hyping BTS’s live performance all night in a desperate bid to keep viewers tuned into the show.

Viewers griped on social media about the Grammys incessantly teasing the Korean pop septet’s performance, with many joking that the show was holding BTS and their fans hostage. It was a shameless and apparently unsuccessful attempt at ratings bait, as Variety reports that last night’s ceremony averaged an abysmal 8.8 million viewers, by far the least-watched telecast in Grammy history. It was a disappointing but predictable end to BTS’s 2021 Grammys saga, which once again found the Recording Academy doing the bare minimum for the biggest pop group in the world.

Who actually won the Best Pop Duo/Group Performance award last night is fairly inconsequential—“Rain on Me” is an infectious, chart-topping dance-pop anthem that made for a legitimate contender by Recording Academy standards. I would have preferred to see “Dynamite” take home the prize, but it makes perfect sense why “Rain on Me” triumphed. The real problem began the moment the Recording Academy announced this year’s nominees.

The momentousness of BTS earning their first Grammy nod this year was tainted slightly by the nagging sensation that the Recording Academy only nominated “Dynamite” as a conciliatory gesture to placate fans. It’s no surprise that BTS’s first nomination went to their most palatable song for casual Western listeners: a disco-pop anthem performed entirely in English that was engineered for mass consumption via streaming, radio play and TikTok dance challenges. “Dynamite” is an irresistibly catchy song and landmark achievement for BTS, but by design, it lacks the disarming vulnerability and musical nuance of their best work.

And they released a lot of top-tier work in 2020: two No. 1 albums, Map of the Soul: 7 and BE, and their accompanying singles, including the haunting emo-trap opus “Black Swan,” the multilayered arena-rap anthem “ON,” and the uplifting pandemic ballad “Life Goes On.” BTS’s staggering 2020 output saw the group at the peak of their creative powers and commercial dominance, and they would have made legitimate contenders for any of the major Grammy categories, including Album of the Year, Record of the Year, Song of the Year or Best Pop Vocal Album. Instead, the Recording Academy nominated BTS’s least adventurous song in a relatively minor category, as if to say to their fans, “Fine, we’ve heard your complaints and we’ll give you what you want, now will you please shut up about BTS?”

This also comes as little surprise, given the Grammys’ historically tenuous relationship with race. Since 1959, only 10 Black artists have won the Album of the Year award, while non-white artists are often relegated to genre-specific categories or tossed into the all-genre category as if to fulfill as diversity quota. BTS’s odds of winning last night were always slim, as I suspect they and many of their fans understood. But giving the Best Pop Duo/Group Performance to another nominee while relentlessly hyping BTS’s performance made their loss feel especially sleazy, as if the Recording Academy knew from day one that it had no intention of giving BTS the win—but hey, it would still milk their appearance for ratings, and they should feel honored to even be invited to perform on the (virtual) Grammys stage.

BTS, as always, accepted their loss with class and went on to deliver another spellbinding performance that ended with them on a rooftop with a gorgeous shot of the Seoul, South Korea skyline behind them. They made the most of the opportunity to perform on the Grammys and once again proved that they’re some of the hardest-working and most charismatic performers in the business. Not that their star power was up for debate, seeing as last October’s “Map of the Soul ON:E” virtual concerts brought in nearly 1 million paid viewers from 191 countries and regions around the world. (Quick rhetorical question: Do you think 1 million people would shell out $50 to $100 to watch the Grammys?)

Progress in the music industry happens at a glacial pace, if it happens at all. One can hope that BTS will continue to receive more high-profile Grammy nominations—and wins—after getting their foot in the door this year. It would certainly behoove the Recording Academy, which has been recently plagued by boycotts and accusations of bribery from several high-profile musicians, to recognize BTS more, if only to save face and slow its own death march into irrelevance. But if that doesn’t happen, neither BTS nor their fans should lose sleep over it. It’s only the Grammys’ loss.

Source (reward him with clicks): https://www.forbes.com/sites/b…-for-bts/?sh=5bf9600d6129

Facts only. Grammys does need BTS more than BTS needs Grammys.

What I think maybe is something a lot of the commentary misses, is that Grammys as institution might be somewhat trapped by its conservative middle aged white male voter base. Even of Grammys would like to nominate BTS more, the voters (like many of that dempographic group) may be too threatened by BTS to come through with votes.

:pepe-tea:

Discuss!

Edited 2 times, last by myaza ().

• Never forget

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• as Variety reports that last night’s ceremony averaged an abysmal 8.8 million viewers, by far the least-watched telecast in Grammy history.

i find it hilarious that the pre-show livestream had over 12 million and the actual event had 8,8 million viewers.

great article. i don't care about grammys and bts should stop caring about it too

• The whole thing left a bad taste for me. I have a hard time seeing people I care about being taken advantage of. I’m just glad it is over and the boys can move on to making more music and planning a record breaking tour (hopefully soon). The boys continue to be better people than I can be.

• Never forget

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

This will never not be funny

• Never forget

LMAOOOO

ღ Happy Birthday / 10.18.2005 ღ

6f2600f9ca710c96c5228757df28dbe5d21c9ff1.gifv giphy.gif 84e36da9f196e239f5a3bc0d2103c8cce10f4953.gifv

• myaza

Changed the title of the thread from “Forbes: The Grammys Once Again Did The Bare Minimum For BTS” to “Forbes: The Grammys Once Again Did The Bare Minimum For BTS (discussion)”.
  • nothing but the truth.

our outrage is about the obvious abused of their power and fandom, while ignoring their art and humanity. im SICK of seeing american shows using them as their cash cow but turning the other way when is the time to give them the respect they deserve.

they deserved that ONE nod. at the very least.

• The way they teased them all night, even CBS saying they're gonna be in SOTY period but then prolonged it even further to give them a very short time was shameless and blatant disrespectful towards armys and BTS.

I'm glad they're losing viewers, the whole thing was mostly a huge snoozefest which feels like a circle-jerk where buddies give each other awards. I had the event mostly on mute, only watched BTS and Bruno Mars's performances fully.

• Wasn’t the producer of the show the fella that SUGA was sitting next to during the hide and seek game on the James Corden show? I thought that was posted right after their appearance. Anyways the Grammys are on their death bed waiting for the plug to be pulled

• 200.gif

"Don’t judge a book by its cover. Everybody has a reason and everybody has a story. I hope people don’t judge a person based on what they see." Kim Taehyung

b9067265d2fcc30fa3ee1ba591881fc0865471a4.jpg

• CNN’s piece

But it was Korean superstars BTS who had perhaps the most anticipated number of the night -- celebrating the group's first-ever nomination with a rendition of their English-language megahit "Dynamite." Their number was sleek pop perfection, with the polish of countless hours of practice -- but sung and danced with a sheer joy that made clear that they put in the work out of love, not duty. It was the kind of performance that clearly reminded us how music transcends boundaries, connecting us despite differences of race, language, culture and identity -- when we give it the chance to do so by giving a full spectrum of performers time in the spotlight.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/15…e-opinion-yang/index.html

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!