Should companies have more than two girlgroups or two boygroups at the same time?

• I think having too many groups in a company might delude their success.

Case in point: JYP.

Twice is super-famous and still has lots of fans. I don't think they are the issue in what I am writing below this.

But they also have Itzy, which is basically their 4th gen group. Only, they then also have NMIXX.

Neither is doing amazingly. Itzy had a great debut and hype, but since there is already a newer group in JYP it makes them look more like past glory. I had hoped for them to stay JYP's new focus for a bit longer.

I feel the same if SM would debut another girl group while AESPA still is 'the new girl group' in JYP.

I don't definitely think I am right with this, but it's just a thought I have and I wonder what you guys think.

• They shouldn't. That limits each company to only 4 acts. That's very little. There's limited room for growth. On the other hand, they're really terrible at managing multiple artists, so perhaps it's for the best.

• Korean labels should be able to manage more than a small handful of acts at once... but they have proven they cannot. So the answer is no, at least in theory. The problem is I don't want older groups getting disbanded just to make way for new ones, but never debuting new artists stifles growth. So these companies can't handle new groups while still treating the older ones fairly, but they basically have no choice but to push forward anyway.

• companies are sick and greedy, love money so much that they do not care to make good music, stuck debuting more and more groups we don't need. I am not angry about what JYP are doing to twice, itzy and nmixx, because that evil company does not deserve success, they all suck, how does every artist at your company suck? doesn't make sense. not even one good group. now with SM, I hate SM! debuting this new girl group, I don't need it or want it. They are stupid, cannot manage all these groups at once, sickening. LOVE new kpop groups though, LOVE seeing WHAT'S NEW!

• So instead of growing and learning to adapt they should just put a hard limit on their artists?

The solution to this problem is super easy but kpop companies ignore it bc of their pride.

Just give alot more space and freedom of artistic and business decisions to the more senior groups.

Rookie groups can be limited to work with whoever the agency wants them to insure whatever profit margin they company wants out of them. Let older groups to work with whoever they want, choose their own staff and schedule and charge them some management fee. They can make their money and have less headaches too. But no instead they try to control older groups till they are fed up and leave the agency.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Korean labels should be able to manage more than a small handful of acts at once... but they have proven they cannot. So the answer is no, at least in theory. The problem is I don't want older groups getting disbanded just to make way for new ones, but never debuting new artists stifles growth. So these companies can't handle new groups while still treating the older ones fairly, but they basically have no choice but to push forward anyway.

Makes sense.

I think it would work for let's say a legacy group that has been there for a long time and then two more groups but with a large space of time between them.

To take ITZY again, they were part of the big 4th gen competition free for all, but now that focus has shifted to a newer generation with gen 4 (gen 4.5 if you will), it's not really clear who they are competing with.

Gen 3 is still going strong, so they're not part of that long established bunch of groups, but they are also not the next new thing anymore. Gen 4.5 has another JYP group competing now, so where does that leave ITZY?

(this is not meant as a thing against ITZY: I like the group, but it seems like they are no longer part of the conversation much anymore)

• I never said they should put hard limit on their artists.

Just about what makes it harder for groups to find success if the focus shifts within their company to another group very quickly.

I think you make a good point with the rest of your post.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!