My thoughts on "Duty After School" (a long post)

• (this might contain some spoilers so, I advise you to watch the series before reading all of this op)

((tldr: This is All of us are dead, but with aliens instead of zombies. Scores: 9/10))

Honestly, this series reminds me about All of us are dead.

A bunch of highschooler fighting and chased by inhuman things, with a bit of drama of romance and friendship. It just that I will give Duty After School a +5 point more because of the way they justified how the students can fight the monsters.

In AOUAD, the students somehow can fight the monster, a pet peeve of mine whenever a movie about monster that should've been dangerous but could be beaten by the main cast. While I must admit that, yes some people are just gifted/talented by being naturally strong or have a good constitution, somehow it just feels that they got a plot armor or buffed for the sake of plot.

In this series however, all the cast are forced to have some military training and wield a weapon. So at the very least, all of their agility and durability can somewhat justified (even tho I'm not quite sure that a short training can improve much of one's physical). Also, they still can manage to show talent like Nara's marksmanship. Their strength is just more believable.

alright, done with the comparison and let's start with what are the things that I love from this series so far...

besides their way of making the student's fight and survivability more believable, I must say that they offers a quite solid story.

For real, I'm coming to this series simply because I want to watch how will Sohee's acting gonna be. But I'm staying simply because I want to see more, I'm curious about what shitty things that will happen next and how they gonna survive it.

The monsters.

or the aliens in this series. They are deadly, and not just some mindless zombies like AOUAD, THEY CAN COORDINATE AN ATTACK, SCOUTING, HIDING AND AMBUSHING?

Aliens man, Aliens.

I like the drama aspects, the struggles. A story that safety is a thing we took for granted, and when the world wants to f*ck us, they must fight for that, no caring about whether you like it or not. It's a survival, they must struggle.

They also use many tropes that I'll cover this later on with their respective characters.

Speaking about the characters, the cast are also quite good.

Idk much about Korean actors and actresses, but I feel like all of them are nailing their role in this show. So let's start with the "Hero" of this story, our commander(? I forgot is he a commander or lieutenant) Lee and his loyal right hand, Wonbin

pasted-from-clipboard.png

I found that these two's dynamic are somewhat cute. Yeah, their bromance is fun to watch and not annoying.

Lee Chon-Ho plays the Paragon of this story. He nails that "Stoic Military Guy" roles to the point that (spoilers!) when he laugh and having some fun at their last supper, it's kinda cute to see it because every superman needs their vulnerable side ain't he?

On the other hand, Wonbin really complement him. A more outgoing guy and somewhat loved by the male student. He plays the "Good Cop" role and I love him when he gives the students a box of bread, subtly showing that he don't harbor ill intention and simply care about them, while pointing out that Lee Chon-Ho is actually stern because Lee wants to protect the children. He really the perfect foil and his loyality for Lee? 10/10.

before I continue to the students, I must mention the honorary ones, which are the military higher ups.

They are annoying :) (which means that the actors nails their role!)

Next! The students!

I might skip or compile some of them because they simply don't stand out much. But that's understandable because the it's a large casts (heck almost all of this class are surviving) so if they flesh out each of the character's story then it could hinder the plot progression.

starting with these three annoying character (yes there are a bunch of annoying characters in this series, it's fun actually)

pasted-from-clipboard.pngpasted-from-clipboard.pngpasted-from-clipboard.png

Yes, there are a bunch of annoying characters in these series. But actually that's good because our real life is also filled with a bunch of annoying people right? And there was a saying that a real person's character will show up when they are in crisis.

And these three show it.

Hana, dubbed as one of the class popular girl, is an egoist person, contrasting her "kind" side at the first episode.

Seeun... oh no, don't let me start with a list about how annoying she is. Just watch it and you'll know it.

and then Soonyi.

Yes, I've said that I come to this to watch Sohee. And she nailed Soonyi's annoying character as the crybaby, and she plays that "weak, dumb, helpless girl" trope. Thumbs up to her!

the next four is my favorite female characters

pasted-from-clipboard.pngpasted-from-clipboard.pngpasted-from-clipboard.pngpasted-from-clipboard.png

Yoojung is the class president. Calm and collected, smart, but still empathizing her ass classmate. A typical class leader. You might feel that in the after a few episodes, she becomes more mature. Yes she is, it can't be helped because she is her class' representative, she carries her whole class live as a weight on her shoulder. It's way worsening because (spoilers!!!) their homeclass teacher is dead and the class had no one aside from her. She shows that it way harder to face a bunch of humans, rather than facing a bunch of aliens. Keep going class press! I'm rooting for you!

Soyoon! While maybe her character are made as the comic relieves, I think that she is one of the most realistic person in the entire class.

Like there are some banters about she is like Joonhee, but Soyoon is just a sane neutral-aligned person that simply wants to survive with the others.

No Ae-Seol. Now, why is she one of my fav?

Simple, she is like Sohee. She nails her act as a loser. The expression, the tone, the clumsiness. She really felt as a dead weight.

And that's why I love it. She is doing a great job to deliver the characters.

THE LEE NARA

asdfghjkl;'lasdljsalkj my #1 in this series.

The cool girl trope.

fr, she is just cool. And when she wield a gun? +100 pts.

and now she is acknowledged as the team's sniper? +100000 pts.

and (spoilers) when she is confronting Bora? +100 pts.

Yes, she is even way more cooler than the military guys.

And how did they find Moonhee as the cast? She nails it.

Also she seems had more story to flesh out in the part two of this series, so I'm quite curious on what will unfold upon her?

NEXT, before we quick-rounding the guys, I'll mention the two characters that are somewhat interesting to me!

yes, the "bullies",

pasted-from-clipboard.pngpasted-from-clipboard.png

While they might actually bullies someone (mainly Aesol), I... don't know. I just find it weird on how the series write their characters as the bullies.

The first few episodes write Bora as a "bully" but I feel like it kinda drops later on. I perceived Bora herself as a rebel and egoist(?) person, idk even know if I can coin her as an egoist because she still cares about her classmate, she is more like outspoken and will do her own thing, not caring about what will people do.

The scene that gives me is, (spoilers?) Her small talk with her mother. It looks like she grows without much of her parent's care and even her mother seems like a carefree person, the "just do whatever you wants to do"-type. She is also coming from a rich family because her mother is a, iirc, lawyer. And that scenes are somewhat contrasting with her attitude in school, it felt lovely... that's why I find her "bully" persona are a bit weird (even tho this didn't justifies all the bad thing that she might done to Aesol).

Also she somewhat showing the opposite of Hana, when Hana is turned out to be selfish, Bora is still saving other people. Another dynamics there..

The same thing also happened with Ilha. For me he is a guy with anger issue. At early episodes, he is pictured as the head bullies, full of violence, yadayadayada, the typical high school bully behaviour. But he also got this one scene (spoiler) with here mother. Her mother is kinda good person and a hardworking ones. In that scene, Ilha seems like can't fight back on what her mother said and it looks like all of those emotion are bottled up in him. This might be the reason why he is so short-tempered. (That scene might makes me empathize him a bit, because it kinda cute that a "bully" can't fight her mother).

That thing also didn't justify all the shit he had done. For him I kinda agree that he could be called as a bully. But there are also another two thing, one when he seems can't accept that Younghoon called him as a bully, and two, for a bully, he is kinda a team player in the mid episodes? Still a jerk tho, and maybe all of that thing I mentioned is his drama.

talking about bullies, the real bully so far to me is this jerk

next, I should also mention another interesting trope, which is "when the bullied fights back",

He actually plays some tropes, The #1 academic guy, the "parent expectation", "fighting the bullies back", so on, so forth.
    His life is rough, mate.

• The next three is my fav male students,

forum.allkpop.com/suite/attachment/268265/

Deokjoong. Every class needs this funny big guy types. Honestly, he is one of the reason why I compared this show with All of Us are Dead. They had this same guy as the comic relief (but this series had Wonbin too so +1 pts). I just love his antics.

Jangsoo. Coming from the military family, He is a cool man, a team player, a soldier at even the first crisis. (spoilers!!!) he is also somewhat Yoojung's relief and yes I shipped them.

and last, Youngshin. I love this guy. Objective, rationale, collected, he didn't give a fuck and when he did, it must be serious.

I'M AFRAID THAT HE MIGHT DIE IN THE PART TWO, BECAUSE HE IS F*CKING LOGICAL, AND IF IT MEANS BY HIM DYING HE COULD SAVE MORE, 1 LIVES AT THE COST OF SAVING MANY, THEN HE IS FINE DYING.

Alright, that long-text above is just the pros, now the cons:

"Kimchi"

forum.allkpop.com/suite/attachment/268264/

This guy is also weird. For a main character he didn't felt as a main character at all.

And Idk if I should applaud him or not, because his character is the non-important guy in the class.

Yes, usually this kind of character are dying off screen, or dying in the background. Though, Ilha kinda implies that this guy is the sneaky-guy.

This guy.

forum.allkpop.com/suite/attachment/268266/

While the show picturing him as the odd-ball, but almost the entire show I didn't notice he was there?

At the first episode, I thought he was gonna be the most athletic guy, even tho he is kinda weird. But nope, just an average guy.

The next con is maybe my pet peeves with all human vs non-human movies/series, which is the inconsistency.

Maybe this is just a problem when a movie adapting from a webtoon, because from most webtoon adaptation, somehow they cut off many details about the world, one of the thing might be the details of the alien...

on the show, it seems like there are some type of aliens. The ball, The big one, The small one, and The mid-sized one that acts as a transmitter (but could also kills).

The inconsistency is on the small aliens. At the very first episodes, they showed us that this little damnation is very deadly. One pierce and you dead. They also shown to have a strength greater than 1 or 2 human combined.

But later on, they seems less deadly. Where are your piercing appendage?? You guys outnumbering the squads, more faster than the squad's average. Why? At least use your thing to grab the main casts? You've done it in the first 2 episodes, why you didn't do it again?

There is also a baby variant(?) that Taeman and Heerak encountered in the stores.

Also when Lee stated that this aliens are resilient, could only be weakened by cold temperature, and be killed by using a special type bullet that are limited in resource...

BUT SOMEHOW many of them just spraying it, wasting the only thing that could keep them alive. Even Lee (that are dubbed by his superior to be top-skilled) are spraying too much bullets. This is when I see Nara is cooler, she one taps, just like the aliens.

Speaking about Lee, while I love his character dynamics with Wonbin,

Lee is the thick and though on the shell but somewhat very soft in his heart, while Wonbin are more warmer on the outside but he literally will die for Lee.

The last episode (the 6th one) are somewhat too predictable for me. I even skipped the most of their dramatic talks.

Also how the heck did Lee survive in the first place??? Did they ever mentioned it?

If somehow I can rewrite the story, I will write it as, Lee survive because his commander told him to flee and reports, along with Wonbin.

Yes, I'll introduce Wonbin as a character not in the class, but early on at the camp.

Lee refuse to leave, because of he is soft-hearted, but Wonbin will drag him to the car, flee to the HQ.

As they leave, Lee witnessing all the massacre that happened. This way it still leaves him some trauma, the same way as the series showed to us, but in more reasonable way.

Alright that's it. Didn't know that this will be very long.

But I can't wait to see the part two released because some students gonna die for sure.

• I into this drama because it
    cast Kim So Hee and Im Se Mi

but watching the series
    my favorites
    are Soon-yi and Yoo-Jung (she a cutie w glasses )
    hopefully at least these two survived toward to the finale

• you really wrapped this review nicely it even made me remember a lot of plot when we are just few days before part II drops :)

I can't wait for it

as for Choi Moon Hee

she won JYP audition

she was in GOT7 'Stop, Stop It' MV as well as SM Station 'Lemonade Love' MV

and she was also in MixNine

Choi Moonhee (ex-myB, ex-BonusBaby) Profile & Facts (Updated!)
    Choi Moonhee Profile & Facts Choi Moonhee (최문희) is a member of BONUSbaby and an actress under Maroo Entertainment. She was also a member of myB. Choi Moonhee…
    kprofiles.com

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I thought they gonna kill Soonyi when they are fleeing from the school... (The one when everything are slowmo-ed)

And I was readying myself saying, "well good luck Sohee, you've done your act well!"

But they didn't ^^

For Yoojung, idk man, she could be killed because it would heavily impact the team... But also not because now she really becomes the team's mother after what they lost in 6th episode

• Yeah somehow when I see them, I thought, "wow where did they get them for the cast? They are gorgeous and looks young?"

And turns out some of them are idols :sweat:

Even the teacher is an idol too iirc

• Yep, can't wait for Part II to drop too!

What about Choi Moon Hee, I haven't seen any of her other performances? But I heard she is not doing very well with the scene last time... :(

• why did i got no quote on this thread?

i generally agree. its a awesome series.

the one annoying thing is that the kids got their "really check" only after the big attack on the school. the death of their teacher and most their "parenting" soldiers should have been enough to take the war serious. If they would have prepared for the incoming attack instead of whining and trying to get home. that would have explained much better how 80% of their class survived while the others had 80% losses.

they had kdrama like plot amor there.

i like the aliens. they are completly different to humans. dangerous and smart. but beatable with the right weapons.

im rooting for ae-seol and jang-soo.^^

so funny how deok-joong is the thirdwheel in won-bins and choon-hos bromance. lol

also rooting for yujeong. of course she is the class president and platoon leader. yujeong litterally means commander.

woo-taek is so annyoing. its the only one i hope the aliens will catch soon. lol.

• watched the 2nd part and now im very disappointed. episodes 8-10 was a total skip for me.

its basicly the first drama i watched that i didnt like. dont know how you can mess up such a great start that hard.

Nothing made sence.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!