Only a K-Pop label would let a potential smash hit die because it didn't 'fit the original plan'

• Mini-rant time.

The rigidity and brevity of K-Pop promotions doesn't allow for things like virality, surprise hits, or anything that strays from the original, strict plan to happen.

This is mainly inspired by HYBE's radio silence re: 'Like Crazy', which has been showing true hit potential way beyond fans. They seemingly are really just done with it...because 'that was the plan!' as if plans can't adapt and evolve — especially given that they pride themselves on their ability to keep up with the top labels worldwide lol.

But we could extend this other examples: Lisa's 'Money' showed viral potential but YG took forever to do anything about it (it did get added to Today's Top Hits eventually and, to their credit, they did send it to radio, albeit way too late for it to really do anything). I saw some people complaining about KAI's 'Rover' also ending its promotions way too early.

I'm sure there's many examples, but 'Like Crazy' feels like the most relevant missed opportunity right now. It's just really sad to see how myopic and stubborn HYBE is being.

Imagine if the virality of The Weeknd's Die For You (a 7 year old song!) and Lady Gaga's Bloody Mary (a 10 year old song!!!) had been ignored by their labels??? But instead, the labels saw the opportunity there and did something about it: DFY has the Ariana remix and hit #1 at radio while Gaga belatedly has her biggest hit in years.

I don't know what it will take for K-Pop labels to 'get it' and understand we live in a singles-driven world. That's not changing any time soon. (Even the success of 4th gen GGs is proving this). "Cupid" is a great example of a SONG taking on a life of its own and the label pushing it accordingly (though they really need to send it to radio to make that fully impactful). Most artists/labels dream of a moment like this happening -- a breakout surprise hit falling into their lap -- and yet it feels like, in K-Pop, it's an inconvenience to them, because it 'violates the plan.'

Anyway: rant over. I hope these labels get their shit together!

• I know I said this a lot of times...Run BTS...took them 5 months... I thought we were getting an MV cause it felt like BH was pushing the song but just left it again.. We also had the Namjoon's solo at the same time so it got push aside... ;judgingpepe:

• It's doing well on its own

Jimin's not getting radio in the us but he is getting it in UK

Dynamite become a hit in European radios so that potential is still there for like crazy ...

yup fortunately radio in europe works a bit differently and is more about the charts placement than direct label push.

just hoping Stateside it keeps its buzz and new people keep checking it out organically -- who knows, maybe by June BH will give Geffen permission to send it to radio 💀

• kpop is too inorganic. We have never seen older 2nd/3rd gen kpop hits getting love now. It's too fandom driven or should i say company driven. It's always "what's next? the next hit. and then again next. There's no appreciation for kpop music. kpop is not about music it's about idols that's it. Why is there no revival in interest for a bigbang or snsd song? Or a older twice or blackpink song? even a older bts song? why do these events not happen? ask yourself that.

• kpop is too inorganic. We have never seen older 2nd/3rd gen kpop hits getting love now. It's too fandom driven or should i say company driven. It's always "what's next? the next hit. and then again next. There's no appreciation for kpop music. kpop is not about music it's about idols that's it. Why is there no revival in interest for a bigbang or snsd song? Or a older twice or blackpink song? even a older bts song? why do these events not happen? ask yourself that.

This is not true

Twice's what is love was viral on tiktok at one point and there were sooo many wedding videos with brides and grooms dancing to it

A Bside from BTS' first album in 2013 went viral in ~2021 and the song rose to 100-110 in melon chart, something their debut title track hadn't achieved way back in 2013

I'm sure there must be something similar for bp too...

• This is not true

Twice's what is love was viral on tiktok at one point and there were sooo many wedding videos with brides and grooms dancing to it

A Bside from BTS' first album in 2013 went viral in ~2021 and the song rose to 100-110 in melon chart, something their debut title track hadn't achieved way back in 2013

i already know twiceand there is also rollin.idk about bts one. if u can't name the song then it's not what viral.Anyway, it's almost close to nothing compared to what happens in western music. so many older hits getting love now.

• This is not true

and BST sped up last year! even Charli D'Amelio and other top influencers did the dance for it

• i already know twiceand there is also rollin.idk about bts one. if u can't name the song then it's not what viral.Anyway, it's almost close to nothing compared to what happens in western music. so many older hits getting love now.

Western labels also know how to react to these moments better so yeah these older songs that show promise then get a new lease on life because the labels capitalize on the moment and go hard (Kate Bush on pop radio in 2022!!!)

• i already know twiceand there is also rollin.idk about bts one. if u can't name the song then it's not what viral.Anyway, it's almost close to nothing compared to what happens in western music. so many older hits getting love now.

Ignoring the shade... u can't expect an old k-pop song to get as big as a western hit when k-pop isn't as big as western music in general

I would argue that even nct dream and aespa doing well on kcharts with remakes of 1st gen/2nd gen songs is proof that there is appreciation for music in kpop

• Western labels also know how to react to these moments better so yeah these older songs that show promise then get a new lease on life because the labels capitalize on the moment and go hard (Kate Bush on pop radio in 2022!!!)

Western music is consumed very differently. It has a long history. It's easily digestable. Kpop and even latin music are still babies compared to them. The language barrier makes it even more harder for the anamolies you point out. Having a rigid schedule saves time and effort to deliver multiple albums in a year.

• Ignoring the shade... u can't expect an old k-pop song to get as big as a western hit when k-pop isn't as big as western music in general

I would argue that even nct dream and aespa doing well on kcharts with remakes of 1st gen/2nd gen songs is proof that there is appreciation for music in kpop

u r talking about korea? older songs get love in korea. not too much idol music tho.

Oh boy, you've uncovered a very deep phylosophical theme that can't be explained just by Kpop being inorganic.

• Bighit and Jimin didn't want to pay for the payola promotion (radio / playlisting). That's it. If you had physical promotions like more tv appearances on shows (western tv) and touring, and promoted one of the other members during another's promotion schedule, people then would complain about undercutting the previous member's release. These solo songs/ promotions are essentially an extension of the "BTS" group promotion to keep them relevant during their group hiatus (it's working btw). It also seems they are holding content and solo albums back for the time when they are all enlisted. Pretty much no lapse in "BTS" music.

• Bighit and Jimin didn't want to pay for the payola promotion (radio / playlisting). That's it. If you had physical promotions like more tv appearances on shows (western tv) and touring, and promoted one of the other members during another's promotion schedule, people then would complain about undercutting the previous member's release. These solo songs/ promotions are essentially an extension of the "BTS" group promotion to keep them relevant during their group hiatus (it's working btw). It also seems they are holding content and solo albums back for the time when they are all enlisted. Pretty much no lapse in "BTS" music.

None of this is actually a satisfactory answer. This all just screams "failure to see reality and adapt." Which is the point of my thread.

And you can drop the tired payola angle -- they have literally not even made it available for airplay, which 16+ BTS songs to date have received. (Check allaccess.com, which archives all this info.) This has been confirmed from multiple sources.

A song that isn't even uploaded for official radio use is at a massive disadvantage. Yet To Come never got an impact date but it was available for airplay and managed to chart. And no, you aren't entering some sort of deal with the devil for uploading your song for radio use, ffs.

• this is more of an issue with solo releases. yg fumbled the bag pretty hard with MONEY and i bet it was because there was the entire group to consider. you cant go full force with a single solo song and promote it maybe even more than a group one.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!