I can't see any neutral in their right mind think hybe should have bought the shares offered by Lee Soo man

• The inception of hybe has brought nothing but nonsense in its wake. To take over competitor companies is a gross display of arrogance, which they have shown by incorporating source music and pledis. Pledis was an awful company on its own, but having it under hybe isn’t much better. As the cfo has stated, hybe is steadily attempting to monopolize the whole industry, and sm is just the next one on their list. Monopolization is a disgusting side effect of the free market and even though capitalism and consumerism continue to ruin society, monopolization puts ultimate power into the hands of one Big Boss to exercise at their will.

We have already seen how hybe treats artists from “subsidiary” companies, with the disbandment of nu’est and gfriend. Disbanding gfriend was an obvious tactic to create room in the industry for hybe’s own girl groups like lesserafim and new jeans. Thus hybe has already shown that they do not care for the interests of the groups under subsidiaries, with the only exception being seventeen, who are wholly self producing and thus need lesser resources from the company itself.

The industry has already become more cutthroat in the 2020s and it’s become even harder for smaller companies to maintain their groups, which are then put on indefinite hiatus due to lack of money (bvndit is one example). All in all what hybe is doing is to me reminiscent of European nations colonizing the rest of us. The korean government needs to intervene to stop this takeover.

• The inception of hybe has brought nothing but nonsense in its wake. To take over competitor companies is a gross display of arrogance, which they have shown by incorporating source music and pledis. Pledis was an awful company on its own, but having it under hybe isn’t much better. As the cfo has stated, hybe is steadily attempting to monopolize the whole industry, and sm is just the next one on their list. Monopolization is a disgusting side effect of the free market and even though capitalism and consumerism continue to ruin society, monopolization puts ultimate power into the hands of one Big Boss to exercise at their will.

We have already seen how hybe treats artists from “subsidiary” companies, with the disbandment of nu’est and gfriend. Disbanding gfriend was an obvious tactic to create room in the industry for hybe’s own girl groups like lesserafim and new jeans. Thus hybe has already shown that they do not care for the interests of the groups under subsidiaries, with the only exception being seventeen, who are wholly self producing and thus need lesser resources from the company itself.

The industry has already become more cutthroat in the 2020s and it’s become even harder for smaller companies to maintain their groups, which are then put on indefinite hiatus due to lack of money (bvndit is one example). All in all what hybe is doing is to me reminiscent of European nations colonizing the rest of us. The korean government needs to intervene to stop this takeover.

seventeen is also very profitable.

let's see what happens when fromis_9 is up for renewal.

• well from hybe's point of view they certainly considered the situation and made a business decision to buy SM shares and decided that was the best use of their money

whether it's a good business decision and whether it's good for the artist and whether it's good for us fans - well we don't know that until and unless things play out no?

hindsight is always 20/20 - if hybe takesover SM and SM and hybe and SM artists succeed then it's was a good decision no?

if it doesn't pan out then it's a bad decision no?

same thing for CL and SM 3.0?

• LSM spreading LSM propaganda shoo shoo

K-pop fans really have zero shame :sweat:

• u will love it if you are a hybe stan. It's smart but shameless. We don't need to wait for things to play out. sm doesn't win even if their artists succeed. hybe gets the credit. The perception of being owned by hybe is far more damaging to sm brand than sm changing their structure on their own. goes againt company values and competition in kpop. I don't see any neutral in their right mind supporting takeove or even entertaining the idea of hybe owning sm.

• plasticrose

Changed the title of the thread from “I can't see anyone in their right mind think hybe should have bought the shares offered by Lee Soo man” to “I can't see any neutral in their right mind think hybe should have bought the shares offered by Lee Soo man”.
  • I’m neutral and I don’t think it was WRONG for HYBE to buy shares offered to them by LSM. I personally Don’t think it was a good idea and SM is definitely NOT a good investment especially with its current inflated price. HYBE making a stupid decision doesn’t surprise me. They always come out looking bad in any issues/ scandals made public. This reminds me of the whole Garam scandal. They always keep silent at the wrong time about the wrong things and then make tone deaf statements at the wrong time. If CL and and Kakao want to destroy HYBE they can make the BTS members offers that they can’t refuse. That would make me happy because HYBE has lost any loyalty or affection from me with how they have chosen to treat BTS and continue to make money off of them and not even doing their job.

• u will love it if you are a hybe stan. It's smart but shameless. We don't need to wait for things to play out. sm doesn't win even if their artists succeed. hybe gets the credit. The perception of being owned by hybe is far more damaging to sm brand than sm changing their structure on their own. goes againt company values and competition in kpop. I don't see any neutral in their right mind supporting takeove or even entertaining the idea of hybe owning sm.

I'm neither a hybe stand nor a SM stan

does that perception matter as long as the sales continue to roll in and SM remains as successful???

that's why I said hindsight is 20/20 no one can say at this point whether hybe is a good thing or bad...we can each have our own opinions on it but time will tell if it's good or bad IF the deal goes through...

and whose company values? yours? mine? hybe? SM? each company has different values

• I mostly agree with You. I'm quite concerned for the more established groups, TVXQ, SUJU, GG, SHINee & EXO. I do think that if Hybe messes with Any of them, that fans will be furious, if not they should be!! I think there's a difference from Pledis & Source in that Hybe is not completely taking over SM. They have the largest share, but 14% should not be a controlling interest. They would have to have a majority in agreement, over 50%, to make major changes. I hope their investment is stabilizing & beneficial. The deal LSS made with Kakoa was far worse & damaging to SM & other Shareholders. I think LSM was trying to make things right.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!