Economics of YouTube views according to Billboard

• A billboard article about the Economics of YouTube.

How Much Is a Billion YouTube Streams Worth?
    For the 10th anniversary of the Billion Views Club, Billboard breaks down how much cash the milestone can bring in for artists.
    www.billboard.com

Some numbers.

Obviously some countries will earn more revenue per view, for example you can charge Coca-cola more money pew view/click in say Germany than in Ukraine.

YouTube music video for a major-label artist could generate a blended average of $0.0038 per stream in the United States, globally — which is how YouTube counts its views — Billboard estimates that rate at $0.0026 per stream. YouTube Premium video streams (views from customers who subscribe to YouTube’s ad-free video-watching tier) are also higher than plays from users on the ad-supported tier, both in the United States and globally.

The main topic of the article how much would a company earn for 1 billion views, well...

Consequently, for major-label artists, 1 billion video streams on an official music video would generate about $2.6 million globally. That’s, of course, before the label takes their cut of royalties,

But the average is slightly lower when the song is used in unofficial videos, but still.

For non-official videos that use music — like a user-generated video of someone’s visit to the zoo, set to a song by a major-label artist — that global blended stream estimate would drop down to $0.0021

So for a major-label song on YouTube that generates 1 billion views across all videos that use it, the label and artist would generate closer to $2.1 million.

So it does not necessarily scales down cents per view.

But just to estimate.

100 Million may get a label 250,000.

My faves that barely get 10 Million views are getting 25,000 Dollars but the company takes their cut, so maybe around 12,000 go to my faves. If the group is 6 members, then each gets around 2,000 dollars for the 10 million views. :-(

• Inspired by

• BEG4DAWIN

Changed the title of the thread from “Economics of YouTube according to Billboard” to “Economics of YouTube views according to Billboard”.
  • You also have to factor in how much was spent on making the MV. Plus paying for the ad-views.

MV's typically lose a bunch of money for companies and are supposed to build buzz around the song/group to make money elsewhere.

• You also have to factor in how much was spent on making the MV. Plus paying for the ad-views.

MV's typically lose a bunch of money for companies and are supposed to build buzz around the song/group to make money elsewhere.

That was always the original plan.

I guess getting any revenue out of it is just a plus.

But yes, before YouTube was a thing, companies were not really making any money out of their music videos, it was just promotion.

The only thing where this may hurt them, is that some people will just watch the video and never pay money to buy the album or download the song, some people use YouTube as their streaming platform.

• The big money is usually made with all of the ancillary revenue streams made from having a big YouTube Channel.

They're just counting the check that Youtube cuts here. Advertisers go directly to the big content creators and cut brand deals with them directly. They skip YouTube as the middle man.

Ever notice product placements in a BLACKPINK MV? Yeah, that's a deal YG makes and it's for infinitely more money than a YouTube check.

Moral of the story, this article is talking about just YouTube checks.

TREASURE has done deals with about 5 or 6 companies directly and created content for them specifically...3 that come to mind is Gentle Monster, Korean Tourism Organization and Emart, the largest convenience store chain in Korea.

And TREASURE is only a 2 year old group but has about 7 million subscribers.

That's why YG makes individual artist channels and puts content there...to build the group's individual brands rather than releasing it on the label's channel.

YG Family

1080x360

*Disclaimer I don't read responses to my posts unless I've replied to you before. If that offends you BLOCK ME. It's not my job to police your feelings.

Edited 4 times, last by Blue2012 ().

• Streaming is just a shitty way to make money these days. That's why while so many on here and other locals love to make fun of Kpop and Kpop's fandom culture, you can bet your ass that these antis are seething behind close doors when they see B tier Kpop bands selling hundreds of thousands of 10-20 dollar albums while they're sitting there trying to scrounge fractions of a penny from streams.

Moved the thread from forum KPOP to forum KPOP.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!