Is NMIXX doing better than we think?

• I was struck watching last night/this morning's Gayo by a trend I've been seeing in awards season. For a group that everyone says is "flopping", there sure are a lot of big cheers in performances for them - and particularly around the concept that people complain the most about - the "NMIXX change up" which the audience cheered for in both Korea and Japan. I first noticed this during cb shows for Dice that there was a loud and vocal contingent of fans. Of course, that's the fandom but I was surprised to see them some loud and boisterous compared to other new or "less popular" groups.

In the case of MAMA, the bulk of that audience is not NSWRS (did I spell that right, fans?) nor were AAA nor was the recent Gayo (the last had an audience of Czennies, so possibly a more receptive group to the style. ^^)

I've timestamped the change up reactions. In some the crowd starts cheering because they know it's coming, when they say NMIXX change up or once the change starts happening. They also sometimes cheer when the song goes back out of the change up and into the song.

KBS Gayo in Korea: (cheering at the beginning of the changeup - timestamped - and when the change up ends at 3:25 and 3:33, they are cheering again)

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

MAMA in Japan (again cheering at the beginning of the changeup - timestamped - and at the end of 1:38 ahead of Lily's big note):

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Similarly on O.O and again at the beginning and end of the change up.

I'll be interested to see if I keep seeing this in awards shows and gayos but thought it was pretty interesting. (I chalked it up at first to maybe them being popular in Japan but heard the same thing last night).

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• From what I know, the change-up is considered a "killing point".

I'm not surprised that fans of KPOP like NMIXX. I think it's more that people who aren't necessarily KPOP fans do not know or follow them.

Also you were very close, lol, it's NSWER.

PGDPGT PRETTY GIRLS DOING PRETTY GIRL THINGS

417aa1c7e1372f9ae29d8e2f659d3f12cf0db4d9.gifv0d1493f18550d15d02f4c2bba44c12bdc01f518d.gifv

• If nmixx are flops then wtf are my nugu faves?!?!?!? ;(;(;(;(;(;(

NMIXX is selling 550k albums. They’re hardly flops, agreed, and it cracks me up when people say they are just because their songs don’t chart very long or they don’t personally like the music (“if NMIXX just made this style”), but I did think it was really interesting to see the enthusiastic response.

I'm not surprised that fans of KPOP like NMIXX. I think it's more that people who aren't necessarily KPOP fans do not know or follow them.

Also you were very close, lol, it's NSWER.

That’s true of most Kpop groups tho. :pepe-shrug:

Where does the fandom name come from? I would’ve thought there’d be a mix component in it.

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• NMIXX is selling 550k albums. They’re hardly flops, agreed, and it cracks me up when people say they are just because their songs don’t chart very long or they don’t personally like the music (“if NMIXX just made this style”), but I did think it was really interesting to see the enthusiastic response.

That’s true of most Kpop groups tho. :pepe-shrug:

Where does the fandom name come from? I would’ve thought there’d be a mix component in it.

They are supposed to be on a journey to MIXXtopia lmfao.

So, NSWER stands for NorthSouthWestEastRoute and is pronounced like ANSWER. So, basically their fans are the answer to help guide them. Complicated, yes.

417aa1c7e1372f9ae29d8e2f659d3f12cf0db4d9.gifv0d1493f18550d15d02f4c2bba44c12bdc01f518d.gifv

• They are supposed to be on a journey to MIXXtopia lmfao.

So, NSWER stands for NorthSouthWestEastRoute and is pronounced like ANSWER. So, basically their fans are the answer to help guide them. Complicated, yes.

Nothing like those overly expository fandom names that you have to explain. ^^

I didn’t even know they were on a journey to mixxtopia.

• Nothing like those overly expository fandom names that you have to explain. ^^

I didn’t even know they were on a journey to mixxtopia.

It's JYPE's attempt at a metaverse ala Kwangya, but they are failing to get much buy in. But some of the fans have fun with it so... :pepe-shrug:

• It's JYPE's attempt at a metaverse ala Kwangya, but they are failing to get much buy in. But some of the fans have fun with it so... :pepe-shrug:

It only works if you randomly insert into songs for no reason so people get outraged and keep talking about it.

:pepepizza:

• I think it's because there are various definitions of the word flop

I've said it before that (only in relation to kcharting)

1. to not chart at all - fairly obvious that if one fails to enter the charts at all then it's a flop

2. to not chart as well as previous songs - this is fairly understandable that if a group had a PAK for one song but the next song only made it (let's say to the top 20) then one might argue that since the song didn't do as well as previously then it's a flop

3. to not chart as well compared to their peers - the question who one's peers are is important since charting is by it's very definition about who one is higher or lower than...some people will say if x charted worse than y then x is a flop

4. to not chart as well as expectations (this is the most subjective) - here a group flops because there is an expectation that certain groups will perform well whether based on prior success or company reputation...this generally applies to the larger or more popular groups - ie. if IU failed to chart (maybe) in the top 5 then one might argue that because of IU's prior successes then her level of expectations is much higher than a lesser known artist or group...

Moved the thread from forum KPOP to forum KPOP.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!