Velvet's Library: Cravity's New Wave

• If you haven’t read my kinda long story post about my relationship with Cravity (you should for context), just know that I’m a Luvity now. And this album, along with other factors, made me a stan.

There is no filler in New Wave, the songs are consistently good from start to end (except for one song). I like to think there are phases in the album: the 1st phase, being bright and party rocking, the 2nd, charismatic and electronic, and the 3rd which is grounded and youthful. But all together, the album does feel like a new wave, especially for Cravity. Many of these songs could be dismissed for kidz-bop, disney channel esque boy group music. But I see more in it. Maybe it’s me being obsessed with the members, mainly Taeyoung, but this album really is no skips, all hits (again, except for one song); and if you’re thinking of getting into 4th gen boy groups, this is an essential listen. Expect 10’s for bias.

And yes, I got the physical copy. That’s how much I love this album.

Tracklist:

Boogie Woogie (pe-release)

Party Rock (single)

New Addiction

Automatic

Colourful

Knock Knock

-ChC37MWpFa9il578KJOf391jLqutxvTwk4NMddx_MQ6kBJ3OuIv1613wVTh3hbpRVS4U0QnshtVRQKTb7idP44o737skIRckyWYprIeIvYv-q1mpQYo7a3IJjZgvNz77B0gXXaFjAm4PwAuZ1lxB2QMI0Ik5G4ROy1Hgik1pFQ0L0pIJS_NX-iG6A

Boogie Woogie

Written by: Jonas Jurstom, Victor Thell, CRAVITY (yeah, I was surprised too)

Arrangement by: Jonas Jurstorm, Victor Thell

Composition by: Jonas Jurtstom, Victor Thell, CRAVITY

For many people, Boogie Woogie is a clean song that has too much energy for what it’s meant to be. I am not one of those people. To be fair, this one took a while for it to actually grow on me, but now it has, I can’t stop Boogie Wooging. The english lyrics are natural, which is something which I don’t expect from K-pop songs usually; Maybe it’s because the main writers speak english, and there’s no korean version. Cravity also sound so natural singing in english; they are very fluid.This track is meant to be catchy, and oh god is it an earworm. The chorus is very well-written, in depth yet still addictive. I don’t think much of the verses, mainly because they are so short but they are also pretty good. The production is the best part of Boogie Woogie. The verses have a driving beat whilst the bass adds a grounded atmosphere. The strings influence in the chorus along with brass blowing and the electronic chords add this nu-disco feel to the song. The piano adds house influence into the mix, and then we get this great composition and arrangement that is amazing. I’m not going in depth of the composition of Boogie Woogie since I don’t really have much thoughts, but wow it’s pretty good. It’s so sanitised and disney channel-like, but how can I not love it? It’s Cravity!

Bonus points for starting the song with the chorus.

Hooks: 8

Production: 8

Longevity: 9

Bias: 10

Total: 8.75

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Party Rock

Written by: Ollipop, Hwang Yoo Bin, Brother Su, Gabriel Brandes, Realmeee, SERIM, ALLEN

Lyricism by: Hwang Yoo Bin, Brother Su, SERIM, ALLEN

Arrangement by: Ollipop

Composition by: Lollipop, Gabriel Brandes, Realmeee

The production is absolutely the best part of Party Rock. It’s so full and lively and just so, what’s the word, party rocking? The song starts with the rhythm of a distorted guitar, which plays an addictive tune. The drums thumps along as the acoustic guitar influence adds in a rocky touch. The rap verses are surprisingly well-written; I used to underestimate the rappers a lot, but they’re pretty good lyricists. The lines are sung are also pretty good. There’s a lot of detail in them, and they flow from member to member, which is what I like to see. The pre-chorus slows to build tension. The chords add this mystical influence as the percussion builds for the chorus. The chorus slams me in the face. When listening for the first time, my initial thoughts were “oh, for a chorus that’s disappointing.” But it really grew on me. I wish it was longer, but oh my god what an earworm! This track does what pop songs do best, absolutely deteriorate your mind until the chorus is what you can only think of. The beat flies as all the components teased in the previous segments join together. An electronic rhythm, the chords, and the guitar come together to bring depth and life to the chorus. There’s also background vocals, highlighting the small bits that did need highlighting. The hooks are absolutely great as well, what a way to add to a pretty good chorus. The bridge is short but sweet, having a cliched but welcomed return to the rhythm in the introduction. I don’t think I have to spell it out: I love this song. It really did grow on me and I’ll be Party Rocking for the rest of my life.

Hooks: 8

Production: 9

Longevity: 8

Total: 8.75

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

New Addiction

Written by: Alawan, Kim Anna, Andy Love, Kyler Niko, SERIM, ALLEN

Lyricism by: Kim Anna, SERIM, ALLEN

Arrangement by: Alawan

Composition by: Alawan, Andy Love, Kyler Niko

We are now onto phase 2 of the EP, the electronic stuff begins! As I love electronic influences, it’s pretty obvious that I love this track and the one after, it’s bouncy and energetic and bold. The verses let the glitch-esque rhythm do the work, as the beat jumps occasionally. I usually don’t like this approach, but the rhythm and the vocals are so strong and cover up the weak percussion. The beat picks up in the second half of the first verse. The chords pick up in the pre-chorus, as the song-writing builds the bulk of the tension. The song-writing’s quick, and jumps from new melody to another, and this is most present in the pre-chorus. There are (I think) distorted background vocals in the second part, and oh my god the level of depth they give is just so atmospheric like I love that addition. The energy built up is now released immensely in the chorus. A wave of banging beats, electronic chords, and a more detailed rhythm adds this playful and charismatic energy into New Addiction. The blend of glitch-pop and electronic influence makes an amazing production. Don’t underestimate an amazing chorus though. Though the song-writing in this segment gives way to the composition at large, it does wonders in aiding the song and making impact with the lines, especially “I can’t wait, baby come and play.” The breakdown at the bridge is not what I expected, and I think the slow down of the drums does lessen its impact, but that is quickly made up by the electric guitar solo holy shit. Believe it or not, New Addiction is not my favourite track, but if this was on another group’s discography, it probably would be my favourite.

Bonus points for well-written rap verses!

Hooks: 9

Production: 9

Longevity: 8

Total: 9

Automatic

Written by: Brother Su, Ludwig Lindell, Johan Gustafson, SERIM, ALLEN

Lyricism by: Brother Su, SERIM, ALLEN

Arrangement by: Ludwig Lindell, Johan Gustafson

Composition by: Brother Su, Ludwig Lindell, Johan Gustafon

Despite reviewing synth pop tracks, Automatic is the first actual synth wave track I’ll be doing. It goes to show how common pop can twist another genre.

There’s this subtle build up in the intro. Sure, the rhythm is in the spotlight, but we hear this bass synth lift the atmosphere. The verses are not predictable first time round: If anything it’s a refrain. The writing of the hook is moody, charismatic, maybe seductive if that’s the word, and the vocals do much of the work. Serim and Allen do a great job setting the mood of this track with their voices. The percussion bangs right out of the gate, driving along the rhythm. The bass synth works on the chords, adding a darker tone to the production. There’s some hints of a guitar in the repeat of the refrain which I find really unexpected. The pre chorus slows things down, with the beat breaking up and something muffled in the background bringing this influence of mystery. I’m not usually a fan of slowdowns or trap breaks, or the clapping sounds in the second half, but for some reason Automatic makes it work. I think it’s due to the members. Like, I know, I shouldn’t be this biased, but the head voices in the first two lines really makes the song flow. The chorus is absolutely surprising. The writing’s detailed yet simple, careless yet addictive, and it’s the best part out of Automatic. The synth piano chords add a dreamy vibe, whilst the rhythm and beat drive along. After the refrain repeats, we are surprised again by the quick rap verse. And the repeat of the chorus is where we discover the second part, and the bridge slows down to contain the energy which will release at the final chorus and the outro. There’s a lot of surprises in Automatic, and I think that’s why I gravitate to it. Though the production isn’t perfect, I find the structure of this song to be perfect, and the song-writing to be amazing too. It’s just so dreamy yet seductive and moody, like it’s no wonder it’s my favourite track off New Wave.

Hooks: 9

Production: 8

Total: 9

External Content youtu.be

• Colorful

Written by: WOOBIN, SERIM, ALLEN, Saimon

Lyricism by: WOOBIN, SERIM, ALLEN

Arrangement by: Saimon

Composition by: WOOBIN, Saimon

I’m not gonna write much since I don’t have much thoughts.

I’m not a fan of tropical house, unless done right, and I think Colorful falls into the first category. Like, what it does is alright, but I’m not as passionate as I am with the last four songs. The verses are alright, they’re minimal, adding the right beat, rhythm and effects when needed. The song-writing is pretty good. During the verses, they are homey and cosy and just warm. The pre chorus builds subtle tension through the guitar and head voice (nice, btw). But something about the chorus I can’t get behind. Maybe it’s just surprising that the vocalists are belting when the verses are so quiet. The writing itself is good. It’s nothing to talk home about though. The production also explodes out of the game with clashes of the drums and electronic synths. The rapping is fine. But I think, even with my distaste of tropical house, Colorful just works? Like, yeah I can’t have it on too high, but I think the chorus does bring me in. And I think the lacklustre two minutes is all worth the last minute. Like, when I get settled into the flabbergasting belts, the final minute is actually pretty good. The bridge is also pretty warm and just nice to listen to. Until the rapping, but it sets up the final chorus nicely. So yeah, I do like Colorful, but I absolutely can tell why other listeners may not like it.

Hook: 7

Production: 7

Total: 8.25

External Content youtu.be

Knock Knock

Written by: Woo Sung Jun, 129, The Name, Han Gil

Lyricism by: The Name, Woo Sung Jun

Arrangement by: 129

Composition by: 129, Woo Sung Jun, Han Gil

You know how I said this is an all hit, no skip album? Yeah, I hesitantly typed that knowing full damn well that I don’t like Knock Knock. Well, I like it, but it doesn’t make grip with its full potential. Though the first verse is minimal, it’s easily one of the best segments of the track. The beat is sustained, the bass is fucking awesome, and I like how we just get into the song with Wonjin leading off. The guitar goes off in the second part of the verse, and the electronic chords catch up to Hyeongjun as the pre chorus then leads way into building tension. It’s short but sweet, and I like the work of the guitar. Then it all goes downhill from here. I can do anti drops, when they are done right, they are not done right here. The (wayyyyyy) over processed backup vocals and the lazy song writing doesn’t help the too of a simple beat and the rhythm can’t even aid us through this. Knock Knock kind of recovers during the second part of the chorus, when the electronic synths enter and the beat picks up, but I feel like we're missing something. Then the trap break appears, oh god it stands out. I do not like trap breaks, and unfortunately Serim can not save it despite their best efforts. I think the biggest problem with Knock Knock is that it loses its energy too easily, and does not contain it during the anti drop and trap break. The bridge is okay, it’s short so it’s alright. The final chorus doesn’t add anything new. There’s so much going on in this track, that I wish it just hit its potential and contained all its energy to be released but that doesn’t happen. If anything, this is kinda a disappointing closer for a great album.

Hooks: 7

Production: 7

Longevity: 7

Total: 7.75

Total: 8.5/10

Credit to TheBiasList for the rating system

• great review!!!! :red-heart: glad to see the appreciation for this amazing album, and written so wonderfully, with many great points x :finger-heart: :red-heart: && i see were your coming from, but i also find it kinda funny how we're the opposite on the way i prefer colorful and knock knock over automatic and new addiction lolz

BEYBLADE Tagging you since you may enjoy this review!

thank u ! i was already reading before the tag heheh. i c cravity, i click immediately :spammerpepe:

imagewe are the two as oneimage
    tumblr_87c871885fc1b1ac179f7fad3f66c807_97657e41_540_5.gif

• great review!!!! :red-heart: glad to see the appreciation for this amazing album, and written so wonderfully, with many great points x :finger-heart: :red-heart: && i see were your coming from, but i also find it kinda funny how we're the opposite on the way i prefer colorful and knock knock over automatic and new addiction lolz

thank u ! i was already reading before the tag heheh. i c cravity, i click immediately :spammerpepe:

Danke <<3 I probably enjoy new addiction and automatic more since I'm electronic/dance oriented. And I have a feeling that I rated Colourful too low even though I have problems with it.

Yeah I should've known that you'd be reading despite the tag ;( I'll remember not to next time!

• Danke <<3 I probably enjoy new addiction and automatic more since I'm electronic/dance oriented. And I have a feeling that I rated Colourful too low even though I have problems with it.

Yeah I should've known that you'd be reading despite the tag ;( I'll remember not to next time!

that's valid! automatic is such the jam fr fr, i do love it a lot. i love a good high energy song, but ive always been more drawn to more softer/vibe-like sounds.
    as for colorful, i think you made fair/valid points, all good. i may have high bias for it personally because it's woobin's song, but i really do think it's so beautiful ~ like you've said, very warm ~ x.

omg wait nooo worries, plz tag me in anything cravity related if ye wanna, is okay~ i may miss it who knows :eyes::eyes::eyes:

imagewe are the two as oneimage
    tumblr_87c871885fc1b1ac179f7fad3f66c807_97657e41_540_5.gif

• that's valid! automatic is such the jam fr fr, i do love it a lot. i love a good high energy song, but ive always been more drawn to more softer/vibe-like sounds.
    as for colorful, i think you made fair/valid points, all good. i may have high bias for it personally because it's woobin's song, but i really do think it's so beautiful ~ like you've said, very warm ~ x.

omg wait nooo worries, plz tag me in anything cravity related if ye wanna, is okay~ i may miss it who knows :eyes::eyes::eyes:

Understandable!!!!

And understandable as well. Personally, I try to not let the production credits get to me, and I try to remain unbiased. Of course, Hwanghyun exists

I will then <<3

Moved the thread from forum KPOP to forum KPOP.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!