I Never Die: An Ode to Soojin

• yes i'm back and with an analysis thread!

So, this thread may be controversial.

Very controversial.

But I am here to say that from the first listen through of “I Never Die” by G-IDLE, I knew I had to write about it, this is long overdue. Certain lyrics caught my eye after everything that went down and I think that it’s a possibility some of these songs have very Soojin-esque undertones. Before I begin I’ll clarify this is all speculation, not confirmed, and these are all my own opinions! Each person can have different interpretations and that's okay! Yes I know this is long overdue, let's hop into it!

Never Stop Me:

Did you want me to be a stupid angel until the end?

Scolded by daddy, out of company

Looking forward to your wedding

Mama, don't ever, ever stop me

Regardless of what I've done

Get rid of it, that's a good ending

I know, I do not regret kicking the blanket (Screw you dummy)

Since then, you probably don't know it

I almost interpret these lyrics as if they’re from Soojin’s perspective on the whole thing. The “looking forward to your wedding” line has a double meaning for me- it can be seen as a line from a scorned ex, or a long lost friend that you want to meet up with again years down the line under different circumstances. Obviously the “out of company” and “get rid of it, that’s a good ending” are pretty on the nose as it is, almost as if it’s from her POV and how she feels as if it was easier to get rid of her than to keep her and see her through until her innocence was finally pronounced. Especially the "did you want me to be a stupid angel until the end?" line, she knew she did something wrong but not something along the lines of what she was being accused of, and maybe she was sick of playing a "stupid angel".

Villain Dies:

If the villain dies

Okay, bullet, love, die

Heroine is mine, I'll never die

Even if it's your sad ending

You put me down and want me dead

In fact, you don't even know me that well

I never cry, but I was in pain

Yesterday as well 'cause of her

Who is the villain? That villain was me

I hated her for ruining everything

I'm goin' to Hell, but not alone

I'm depressed by the villain's laughter on the last chapter

Oh, right, oh, right, write

"Never die"

This one is interesting to me because I could see it being from the members or Soojin’s perspective. For the members, it might be the effect her scandal had on the group after their big breakthrough with “Hwaa”, especially the “I was in pain, yesterday as well, ‘cause of her. I hated her for ruining everything”. Though I think it fits better from Soojin’s perspective if she were to sing about the accuser in this situation. Especially the “I’m goin’ to hell, but not alone” line, she realizes she fucked up but not enough to warrant this collosal reaction where the narrative is twisted and she feels hopeless and depressed over how the accuser seemed to continue their life just fine (+ the laughter part).

Already:

My phone rings at this late hour

Why did you say sorry now?

Even a second is too late (Too late)

You didn't tell me that lie

If I had endured that last word

Would we still be together? (But now)

The beginning and the end of the relationship (Yeah)

That always depended on you

The way you talk pretending to be nice, stays the same (Uh)

I'm sick and tired of knowing who you are (Uh)

There's an idiot who's satisfied with the seat next to me now

I wanted to cry and hang on

I know in the end, it won't be us

It can never be the same as before (Again)

Minnie shared during the group’s comeback showcase:

~‘Already’ is a song about after breakup. When love is over and you embrace the end, only then you realize that your story’s just like a movie.~

So this is definitely more of a breakup song regarding a romantic relationship, but it could be viewed as the members perspective of Soojin when everything first came out. Of course some of them would be angry, but in the end, even though they wanted to cry and hang on, it wouldn’t truly be them and things can never be the same as they were before.

Polaroid:

Can I take out the polaroid

And then we smile brightly

I won't cry even if I get sad

Let's make a funny face

Take out the polaroid

We shouldn't forget this, please remember

In our picture, that smile at that time

Let's make a funny face

This one is self explanatory.

Escape:

Shaded time, every lonely night

Don't endure it alone, just take my hand

I like the sound of laughter better than crying

I'll run with you, run with you, you

I'll be right by your side

It's supposed to be a hard deal for everyone

As if I'm being fussy

I looked at you and thought if I could just endure it

Throw it away, It's too much for me

Do you want to be happy at this moment?

Even if you are late, will you stop for a bit and rest?

I have to take responsibility for the reality and future life

Again another song which I feel like could be interpreted from either the members or Soojin’s perspective. Though this time I feel like it’s both, almost like a conversation. The members are trying to let her know that they’ll be right by her side, to run with them as long as this lasts, and to not endure this pain alone. Soojin replies with how she feels as if she’s being viewed as fussy even though this situation is hard for everyone. She has reached a point where she thought she could look at the members and they’d give her the strength to hopefully stay and endure, but it’s hopeless and she can tell, hence her asking them if they want to be happy and telling them she has to take responsibility for now and the future.

Liar:

You keep calling me a liar (Ah)

I don't feel any desire (Ah)

Yeah, say whatever you want, yeah, I'm a crazy tomboy

Again, passport, dyed my hair blonde like her

Again, I'm not satisfied

Be sure to tell your mom I wasn't satisfied either

Saying what you're good at, those manners

Take the front instead of talking behind my back

Of course, you wouldn't have the guts

Yuqi shared during the group’s comeback showcase:

~‘Liar' is a song for people who tell us that we’ve changed. The song says that we were always like this, and we want to show more of ourselves to the people.~

Again, another song that could be interpreted as the end of a romantic relationship, but the “dyed my hair blonde like her” is interesting (though it could be referring to dying your hair to match the color of the person their s/o is interested/cheating with). Though the “take the front instead of talking behind my back, of course you wouldn’t have the guts” is interesting! Definitely seems like another song that could be seen as from Soojin’s POV, especially with the “you keep calling me a liar” part.

In conclusion, a lot is up to speculation here but I feel like it was an interesting route to take (especially considering the album title) after the scandal. They really proved that no matter what they went through, they would never die- and there's some unspoken power in that.

Look forward to their new comeback, I Love! (they better be selling that vinyl)

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

- Vi/Fe :borahae:

Moved the thread from forum KPOP to forum KPOP.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!