It really is 2NE1 vs the Kpop Industry

• It's not just YG, but SM also out to erase them. 2NE1 deserved better.

gif-gretchen-escrevendo-3.gif

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Cited article:

Korean music critic talks K-pop companies maintaining absolute control over idols/media, having to self-publish for being industry critical - Asian Junkie
    Music critic Hwang Sunyeop recently tried to get an opinion piece published by media outlets, but fo
    www.asianjunkie.com

• No shit YG is pissed. They made them look like clowns and performed the song. I'm surprised they didn't start doing copyright strikes as soon as it happened. This is the same company that deleted CL's entire YouTube channel after she left out of spite.

• Why would SM do that? It's likely to be YG as that was their group. SM is used to sabotaging on their own groups anyway lol.

It's speculation, but probs because SM claimed Aespa was the first kpop group to perform on the main stage

• It's speculation, but probs because SM claimed Aespa was the first kpop group to perform on the main stage

cos their meddia play is :clown:

did blackpink release a new album today?'s tweet - "#LALISA ACAB, aquí solo  respetamos a la POLISA " - TrendsmapID BI****S

OT4 BLINKS OR JAIL

• It's speculation, but probs because SM claimed Aespa was the first kpop group to perform on the main stage

I don't know about SM, still think YG is the clearly obvious one, but that news reader though.

:pepe-peek::pepe-joy:

Fuck me he he's having a stroke on camera trying to read his autocue lmao.

• Regardless of whether it was SM or YG that didn't want the article published, the author's criticism of the Korean pop industry is valid. Companies are supremely in control of what their artists can say or do, and are often reluctant to relinquish the trademarks of the groups they've debuted when their members want to continue on outside the company. This is one of the main reasons why longevity is big issue in the industry, as that control often means the companies decide when to shelve their groups after a certain age. This also gives the companies immense leverage during contract renewals, as they can use "carrot and stick" tactics to gain favorable contract terms at the expense of the artists.

I believe there needs to be a reform starting with how long companies can keep the rights to a group they've debuted. After a second contract renewal, or 10-15 years, artists that want to continue on should have the ability to acquire the rights of their groups. This would mean that companies would have to treat their veteran groups better or risk losing them outright, instead of the other way around where they have the advantage during contract renewal.

Regarding his claims that Korean entertainment media is controlled by big companies, it's hard to validate but there are many instances where it does seem that the media are just outlets for those big companies to control narratives.

tumblr_mbacq1PDzs1rvedkto1_500.gifv

少女時代

• Is it because they do not own the rights to the name?

• You wrote everything so well!! Wow!!

• In my opinion, 2NE1 should never have disbanded in the first place. I blame YG for not investing in them enough. They were my first bias girl group and no other can replace them in my eyes, well for me anyway.

• the members never referred to themselves as 2ne1 for the performance, so I thought they'd be safe

But did the tik toks and other postings referred to them as 2NE1?

That could be the reason why YG asked to be taken down.

Still a fvcked up thing to do by YG, that greedy bastard.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!