Is there too much emphasis on looks in kpop?

• Well I don't mean this in a mean way, I feel like Tzuyu is a good example of this. She has the look that koreans like and was very popular despite being shy, young, a foreigner, AND one of the Twice members with the least lines, so she couldn't really show any skill she had. And it happens with a lot of idols, they don't have that much presence but they're popular and well-liked for their looks

out of service

• I think kpop is different due to the extent that they focus on visuals. Western music isn't quite as laser focused on it.

Oh, I'm talking in general. Here in Brazil to get some jobs if you need to be in "shape", pleasing to look at least etc or you won't get the job. The world itself it's still like this.

But yes, kpop is way more focused bc as i said they (companies and even some idols) create this weird relationship with fans.

• I think so. To me the main reason for following is the talent of a group, sure some of the groups I have stanned over the last 11 years have had visuals - SJ for example, but that wasn't the only reason I liked them. I've never really been a visual stan. Yes, it's true a nice looking face will get you a long way in music or any entertainment, but as one ages they will lose some of that visual appeal and then have to compensate for something else in their repertoire.

• Oh, I'm talking in general. Here in Brazil to find get some jobs if you want in "shape", pleasing to look at least etc you won't get the job. The world itself it's still like this.

But yes, kpop is way more focused bc as i said they (companies and even some idols) create this weird relationship with fans.

Wow. In my organization, we have strict rules against hiring bias. I mean, there's always going to be some unconscious prejudice, but we work hard to overcome it.

I know that kpop is an industry that lives in looks but I feel bad for the idols that are clearly talented and hardworking, but don't get the love due to their visuals.

• not going to lie there are those who really have awesome singing skill but are snubbed by visuals.

so yes, I feel like kpop may be too skewed towards visual.

That being said, visuals sell and ultimately the skew is determined by customer spending.

• Well I don't mean this in a mean way, I feel like Tzuyu is a good example of this. She has the look that koreans like and was very popular despite being shy, young, a foreigner, AND one of the Twice members with the least lines, so she couldn't really show any skill she had. And it happens with a lot of idols, they don't have that much presence but they're popular and well-liked for their looks

Yep, i see people willing to overlook other drawbacks if the looks are there. They will even defend bad deeds because the idol is good looking. Pretty privilege is real.

• I mean in the years i've really been into kpop it's evident that they have this huge wack ass standard of beauty. I really think everyone is different for a reason no one is perfect, and that they shouldn't be expected to be paper thin and have all kinds of work done just to fit some narrative, the more natural they are, the more handsome/beautiful they appear to me. Of course we know our faves may have had something done or nothing at all a good make up artist can do all sorts of tricks, but i really hate how everyone comments on someones weight and what not.

• I think I've said it before that the visual of the group may not be the most popular but very rarely will they be the least popular...

is that right? wrong? does it matter? it is the way it is...

it's no different in real life so why would it be different in kpop?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!