most followed idol groups on melon — 1 year later

• saw this thread from a year ago & thought it’d be nice to see how these groups growth progressed this past year with melon losing followers and kpop acts not getting much attention from the public.

updated ranking:

ranking group current
    followers
    change from
    2021 stats
    1 [=] BTS 781,392 (+8,637)
    2 [=] EXO 503,651 (-26,206)
    3 [=] BIGBANG 284,222 (+22,403)
    4 [=] RED VELVET 262,801 (+6,130)
    5 [+4] SEVENTEEN 254,011 (+43,311)
    6 [-1] WANNA ONE 231,563 (-2,760)
    7 [-1] MAMAMOO 228,696 (-4,051)
    8 [+2] BLACKPINK 222,251 (+15,515)
    9 [-1] WINNER 215,358 (+3,990)
    10 [-3] TWICE 210,769 (-4,177)

looks like seventeen had the biggest growth jumping from positions 9 to 5. exo lost the most followers yet maintained their position. twice didn’t lose much but dropped down three spots. bts cement their status as the top artist in korea despite not having much a gain but that’s probably because everyone and their mother on melon already follow them lol

• Well, based on these numbers, I think it's obvious that Melon followers is a poor measure of success.

Are we really supposed to believe that Wanna One is bigger than Blackpink, or that Winner is bigger than Twice?

Mamamoo and RV have always had more followers than Twice, even during Twice's peak years in South Korea.

I think there's a lot of factors that play into it that make it a harder gauge to analyse. Older groups lose out due to deactivation so the net gain/loss is hard to understand. I'm sure the biggest fandoms have their fair share of duplicate accounts. I think volume of music matters as well and not just in the way people would generally think. I liken it to someone you followed on twitter due to a tweet or two but then their content takes over your feed.

I used to track it a bit but outside of the outlier results (i.e. someone massively jumping up during a hit comeback), it didn't show too much.

UHYEzP8.png

• Ah I'm glad to see that at least someone is keeping track of Melon follower trends. It'd be nice to be able to graph follower counts over time, but we'd need more data points for that.

Now your case of Mamamoo and Red Velvet having more followers than Twice (or Blackpink) is a better example than mine, since it deals with girl groups only. But from what you're saying, it seems that there's no obvious reason why that would be the case--there are a "lot of moving parts", so to speak.

Now in Twice's case, I've seen people on this forum claim that Korean ONCEs have "boycotted" Melon, so that could be a factor.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!