BTS' PROOF album would sell 10M copies if released in a 'regular' Kpop pricing

• So, I checked out the new Hanteo feature wherein we can see the physical record index when considering the price of every albums sold. I can't help but notice the gap and difference compared to the rest of the albums listed below it.

This list is for the month of June.

IMG_20220730_124023.jpg

So, I did some math and came to the conclusion that it had a huge potential to reached 10M copies at a minimum if we consider WW sales at the end of the year.

Let's use the second album as an example;

988,204.06 x 10.468 = 10,344,520

(#2 album record index x the formula = Proof's record index for the month of June)

760,157 x 10.468 = 7,957,323

(#2 album sales x the formula = Proof's album sales based on Hanteo's record index for the month of June)

Note: The formula is the index gap between the second and first album, then I used it to get the Proof's 'supposed' album sales in Hanteo if it was released at the same price as the second album.

Source: http://www.hanteochart.com/chart/album/monthly

• the compact ver was pretty cheap so it will probably do huge number on its own

i was kinda surprised how well the standard ver was selling in some countries almost as much as the compact ver(europe + japan)

it made me realize bts have a huge rich collector fanbase

no wonder their merch keeps selling so much

• I think the formula is based on average kpop album selling price for that particular month. So I think the index will change every month. Next month's update will give clearer idea.

But yeah we can see the possible results if BTS were doing gimmicks like other kpop groups. But I guess that is what separates BTS from others. They don't need to look for other alternatives to increase album sales even if it means selling cheaper albums....

After learning that 'Proof's standard version is selling as much as compact version which is very rare (I mean we can see how other kpop group's cheaper versions sell significantly more than regular versions), I think it would have easily sold more than 6m even with only 2 regular priced versions by now....

• the compact ver was pretty cheap so it will probably do huge number on its own

i was kinda surprised how well the standard ver was selling in some countries almost as much as the compact ver(europe + japan)

it made me realize bts have a huge rich collector fanbase

no wonder their merch keeps selling so much

Actually, the standard ver has been outselling the compact ver now. Idk the exact sales for each versions. But this is what the sales look like not even a day after Proof got released in Hanteo charts.

IMG_20220730_135402.jpg

I'm pretty sure both versions will sell at almost the same copies at the end of the year. I expect a small gap with Standard version edging the Compact ver a bit. We shall see on Gaon Year End chart on Dec.

Also, does the Oricon sales do not count in Hanteo/Gaon chart?

Edited once, last by call-911 ().

• I seriously believe that BTS don’t feel the need to break more records for album sales. They have moved on. I’m glad now charts are looking at these parameters and calculate points based on them though.

I know. This is just something I came up for fun after checking the Hanteo chart. The important thing is that BTS get to keep large amount of money from album sales. Breaking album sales is just the top of the cherry, atp.

• Ehh this is a bit of fallacy. There will surely be more sales than what it is now. But it’s difficult to gauge how much. For example whether it’s $5 or $30 I’m going to buy only one album. Lol.

MOTS:7 sold 5M copies and that was in 2020 before their huge global breakthrough and huge demand for kpop album overall.

• Ok? I just explained you can’t directly compute based on revenue. Demand and revenue are not interchangeable.

Really? Majority of kpop fans buy albums within their means. They are maxing their 'budget' for albums to support their favorite group/s and even if it means buying it multiple times with the same version (with the push of photocards). You might only buy one album, but a lot of fans especially collectors buy in bulk or multiple copies within their budget. And this is how the kpop industry thrives in. It's like saying that groups who's selling cheap digipacks will stay million sellers if they tripled the price next release. So yes, album pricing has a big effect in Kpop sales.

And although I did this to gauge their 'supposed' album sales for Proof due to Hanteo chart- I still believe that they can definitely do 10M copies with this release if they were doing the same as the rest of the groups.

Also look at the jump of album sales for every groups in 2020 VS. 2021. Everyone doubled their sales due to gimmicks and demand of kpop album overall except BTS. That's because after Mots7 they stopped doing the usual Kpop releases and HYBE somehow tripled or quadrupled their album pricing.

IMG_20220730_141810.jpg

IMG_20220730_141851.jpg

• I wonder how many they would sell with a regular release. But I guess I will never know.

10M copies with 4 versions, cheap digipacks and fanmeet. But they can do 7 - 8M copies with 4 versions alone and a 25 USD album price (still quite expensive if we compare to other groups lol).

• 10M copies with 4 versions, cheap digipacks and fanmeet. But they can do 7 - 8M copies with 4 versions alone and a 25 USD album price (still quite expensive if we compare to other groups lol).

Speculations are speculations. They mean nothing. Unless they do a regular release we will never know.

• Not surprised about Standard outselling Compact. It contains all the pcs and that’s what collectors wanna have. At least this in a way minimize bulk buying and make BTS sales look realistic and less inflated

Even so I’m still pissed we don’t get regular rollouts anymore

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!