Dear BigHit producers, please stop doing this

• Making us strain our ears to hear the adlibs

People think BTS don't do them when they do

They're nice, turn them the fuck up

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I can hear them in the original but not enough

Stream mine and JK's favourite solo, Serendipity

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Love the adlibs! But yeah, BH producers tend to overprocess their vocals at times which drowns out their vocal inflections and adlibs. They have beautiful voices and much better skills than people give them credit for.

• I really wish the hidden vocals were a bit easier to pick up on even my studio headphones I barely hear anything

External Content www.youtube.com

I guess that's why they're called hidden though :waterr:

• The adlibs are so muffled sometimes

Staying on the topic of the problems with bh's production, I have two grievances:

- not utilizing well members with lower voices (taehyung in bts beomgyu in bts) and tending to like high pitched songs too much (looking at you pdogg lol) even when it's not as comfortable especially with choreo like the bighit ones

- it's specifically for txt but I didn't have as many problems with the processing as much as the overlaying of voices. There are two songs where taehyun's voice doing the background is actually more heard than Beomgyu's (in Blue Hour and We Lost the Summer). I barely heard him at first listen and it's frustrating. It comes back to Bighit not using lower voices well sometimes

• yes their vocal processing is so annoying

i was surprised that i enjoyed telepathy live performance, giving the fact that I can't tolerate the studio version, the autotune hurts my ears

• yes their vocal processing is so annoying

i was surprised that i enjoyed telepathy live performance, giving the fact that I can't tolerate the studio version, the autotune hurts my ears

Not as extreme, but we are in the same boat about Telepathy. The first thing I thought while listening to it was 'can't wait to have a live performance of it so I can listen to it instead'.

• ^^^ i agree

i feel the same for 20cm as well tho, txt's voices matches the song really indivisually and the vocal processing blends them more than needed

• Sounds like mixing problem?

Definitely a mixing problem. There’s a problem with the balancing of the instrumental and backing vocals. It’s like they’re putting the backing vocals on the same ‘level’ as the instrumental which results in the instrumental overpowering the backing vocals naturally.

And what’s even more of shame is that once the vocal processing is added, the track sounds too unvaried and flat because you can’t hear any sounds that ‘pop’ out.

It seriously doesn’t do BTS’s skills justice.

Edited once, last by kidsgonestray ().

• I don't have an issue with how they use lower voices, because both Taehyung and Beomgyu are singing healthily and aren't straining to get into their upper registers. I've actually been pretty impressed by Big Hit's vocal coaches, you'll see a lot more strain from singers in other companies sometimes, but the BTS and txt boys really don't seem to have that problem because they've been well-trained. As long as they're not hurting their voices, I don't have a problem with them doing higher parts, but still using darker tones. Namjoon and Suga are both deeper too, and don't try to get into the upper register like Tae, which is fine (not vocal line), and usually just harmonize the lower register for the ballads. See also the recent Fix You cover.

They do seem to process txt more, and I'm not sure whether it's that they don't trust their vocalists as much there yet (since BTS are older men and have vocal chords that have stabilized, whereas txt are young enough that their voices are still developing some) or if that's just them bringing a house style to the music. My guess would lean towards the former, and I'm kinda guessing we'll hear less production on them as they get older and have a chance to do more concerts and/or acoustic or unplugged performances.

• Sounds like mixing problem?

Plenty of songs have hidden vocal, harmonies stack vocals etc. not everything is MEANT to be heard or prominent.. but to just add a layer to the song.

If BTS wanted those vocals to be prominent they would be especially because some members often co-produce and engineer the songs/aswell.

I’m just saying this is normal. Although I would say I would love for BTS to do more runs riffs and belts in their songs.

External Content youtu.be

Edited once, last by wendii ().

• Definitely a mixing problem. There’s a problem with the balancing of the instrumental and backing vocals. It’s like they’re putting the backing vocals on the same ‘level’ as the instrumental which results in the instrumental overpowering the backing vocals naturally.

And what’s even more of shame is that once the vocal processing is added, the track sounds too unvaried and flat because you can’t hear any sounds that ‘pop’ out.

It seriously doesn’t do BTS’s skills justice.

For you it's a problem but for producers it's their choice...

• BH producers use synthesizers a lot which makes even low voices sound higher than usual, they should lower it cuz it can't show the member's vocals to the fullest

High songs are easier to identify because our ears are more sensible to high frequencies (1K-5K Hz).

So for marketing standpoint it's preferable to sing high...

But I would like more chest voice vocals from them ;(

• Ps BE Hidden vocals

• Agreed

• BTS' are more 'hidden' than these examples

They do some of this stuff it's just less perceptible in their songs, compared to everyone else

Serendipity was not co-produced a member I don't think, but I'm not sure about the recording engineering, I'll have to look at my album

• For you it's a problem but for producers it's their choice...

That’s true. I’ve come to accept that their producers have a certain style and it doesn’t stop me from enjoying their music from time to time.

• Official Post

damn I didnt even notice Jimin was going off in this song

:cryingr:

I wish to end this winter, how much longing must fall like snow before that spring day arrives?Spring Day

160837-for-gif

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!