Does Anyone Else feel this

• i got into kpop really young

i found the personalities of the idols very charming and entertaining and consumed a lot of content, atleast of the groups i used to follow ( i never followed too many at a time and never super active groups )

they seemed so funny and witty and bestfriend material

but now at 21, i simply cannot see idol's personalities as anything but extremely cartoonish and childish

no im not judging them as people, its clearly for the cameras, but i simply cannot consume much non-music kpop content anymore even though i want to

i still like the music of course

and no im not talking about younger idols or generations

the personalities of idols has stayed consistently very similar since 2nd gen to 4th gen

the gen i really grew up loving was 3rd gen

most 3rd gen idols are slightly older than me in age

but they still act the exact same way as they did when i was 15

and that really messes with my head, they seem like caricatures of people

i wish i could relate to them as people but i cant anymore

in a way it helps me see the actual musical content with less bias, but the actual music is only a part of the overall entertainment value of kpop

why doesnt kpop let its idols grow up?

u r m o m g a y

1e1282e4806e9f6f1080ccc53055ea21c0a98974.gifv6cc52730ebd88d19753cac6a9c1436f129e99705.gifv

• I love variety shows and still do.

But we must remember that "idoling" is a job and unless we see them in an uncontrolled environment, you'll always have to assume they have a certain character they have to play.

There were many idol who outted the industry and confirmed that they had to play a certain personality.

With that said, I do always think they're only acting this way or saying this because they know they're in front of a camera but for me it doesn't take away from the entertainment factor than say watching actors and actresses perform and loving certain actors and actresses for their role.

I'm not sure I agree with everyone having the same personality. Some idols are more playful, some aren't. I've seen idols with more youthful playful personality at debut but has grown in their certain aspects such as their humor style.

• I've never perceived any idol's personality as cartoonish

We all know idols are expected to maintain a very clean and proper image though,so maybe that's why you feel that way?

• i don’t watch variety shows that often

im not really talking about variety shows

even radio appearances and youtube videos

dont you ever feel like they're talking like you'd talk to someone half your age?

i guess it also depends on your age

i have no idea what any of your ages are lol

u r m o m g a y

1e1282e4806e9f6f1080ccc53055ea21c0a98974.gifv6cc52730ebd88d19753cac6a9c1436f129e99705.gifv

• Hmmm....I'd probably need an example because it's not too often idols talk directly to us...the last few times I've check anything that was directed at fans specifically, it's usually heartfelt messages regarding either struggles, things they're excited about, or just random check up.

I love watching vlives, since there's no production team behind it, what they say us pretty much unfiltered minus the obvious things idols can't talk about and I definitely dont feel it there.

And I can probably think of a few times where they talk to fans like were kids, such as "did you eat yet?" but that might be more cultural but overall thing, I can't say I feel that way.

If you have a few example, I might be better able to understand it.

• oh good example

since you brought up vlives, which are the least factory produced

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

names of groups i searched who are known for being less filtered on camera and went with pretty recent vids

kinda hard with the yves one you have to be really patient

but anyway

searched for a twice one too

interestingly, Nayeon is an idol I've found always acting very raw although she's known as a childish person

looking back on it, it could be that korean language and way of thinking/speaking itself might be what's making me think this way

but ive never been there so i cant confirm

you'll notice they often pull a fake smile for no reason ( never seen adults irl do that ), often pronounce their words with more aegyo ( not always because they were asked ), and other stuff im sure you can figure out by now

and of course not to mention, most of the content seems to be about food appearance mbti etc.

u r m o m g a y

• Hmmm I can see what you're saying but you might be over thinking it lol

I think some aspect is just them wanting to be "cute" (who doesn't want to appear cute and youthful) and that it's just fun being cutesy sometimes. And then some of it is just appealing to fan and have to on camera for business butit just comes down to whether it seems natural to viewers or not.

Growing up, all the girls acted that way, of course they toned it down as they got older but I still have co-workers who would do that from time to time.
    May also depend on culture, growing up it seems pretty normal for Asians I know to be like that so I guess being exposed to it my whole life, it seems pretty normal to me.

• Back then I used to watch the variety shows of every other group, even of those i never stanned but now I find them really annoying. They overreact on everything.

• Back then I used to watch the variety shows of every other group, even of those i never stanned but now I find them really annoying. They overreact on everything.

yeah the overreaction to everything is a massive part

although, it always used to be the same

its just not as entertaining at this age anymore

u r m o m g a y

• I used to consume alot of variety shows before, but tbh I can't be bothered to now. They're generally very lengthy and full of loud reactions etc, and often recycle concepts so I see no point. I mean I don't even watch my faves variety stuff. I just prefer music and to read a couple of interviews every now and then. Also as I became older, I just don't have the time to watch all these shows.

• I haven't watched any variety shows for ages but some of the things they get the groups to do on them are a little bit childish especially SJ reality shows. They are grown men and it was a bit cringey to see them doing activities that seemed really juvenile. I know it wasn't their idea, more the producers of the show but still.

• I think some aspect is just them wanting to be "cute" (who doesn't want to appear cute and youthful) and that it's just fun being cutesy sometimes.

Growing up, all the girls acted that way, of course they toned it down as they got older but I still have co-workers who would do that from time to time.

I am like this sometimes, but typically only in private and almost never in public. I'm not quite shameless enough for that. I just find being "cute" a lot of fun. Of course, different strokes for different folks, but I enjoy it. Funnily enough, as a child, I was childish, but not really in that way if that makes sense (more so in an adventurous and silly way).

Anyway, long story short, I guess my point is that I do it sometimes (in private), but I find it odd how I didn't do it as a child. I guess because I didn't know people did that when I was young. I probably derailed the thread on accident going this off topic and tangentially, but just figured I'd share my thoughts on it.

• I am like this sometimes, but typically only in private and almost never in public. I'm not quite shameless enough for that. I just find being "cute" a lot of fun. Of course, different strokes for different folks, but I enjoy it. Funnily enough, as a child, I was childish, but not really in that way if that makes sense (more so in an adventurous and silly way).

Anyway, long story short, I guess my point is that I do it sometimes (in private), but I find it odd how I didn't do it as a child. I guess because I didn't know people did that when I was young. I probably derailed the thread on accident going this off topic and tangentially, but just figured I'd share my thoughts on it.

I think we all do it a bit from time to time and more so girls because it's more socially acceptable.

Many probably like you said, do it more in private but for an idol who's used to being recorded frequently may even choose to do it more publicly.

• I am like this sometimes, but typically only in private and almost never in public. I'm not quite shameless enough for that. I just find being "cute" a lot of fun. Of course, different strokes for different folks, but I enjoy it. Funnily enough, as a child, I was childish, but not really in that way if that makes sense (more so in an adventurous and silly way).

i mean its fine to act cute in front of friends or parents for fun

but thats different from idols hrowing 99 facial expressions and the tiniest of things and laughing at elementary school jokes

u r m o m g a y

• i mean its fine to act cute in front of friends or parents for fun

but thats different from idols hrowing 99 facial expressions and the tiniest of things and laughing at elementary school jokes

That is very true. I don't do the exaggerated facial expressions (if I do, it's always on instinct and completely natural, not forced, but I don't think I do it a lot). I laugh at fart jokes in children's movies and pieces of bread falling, so definitely the latter one applies to me though. Sometimes I'll even laugh at nothing.

Edit: Just want to make it clear that I'm not trying to be argumentative or disagree with you, and I do apologize if I may come across that way. I'm more so just trying to explain why it's not weird to me by explaining how I act myself, but then again, not everyone is like me, so I don't even know what I'm doing at this point.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!