How did wonyoung get so popular?

• Her it girl status in Korea makes sense, but wow she is so popular internationally too! I saw the top 30 idol chart and she’s only behind the blackpink members

What made her blow up so much? Especially since IVE debut?

Approved the thread.
  • Her it girl status in Korea makes sense, but wow she is so popular internationally too! I saw the top 30 idol chart and she’s only behind the blackpink members for gg*

Hopefully nobody misunderstood

• 4th gen kpop fans are early-mid teens rn

wonyoung is relatable to them age wise

she also looks exactly whats trending right now among the youth esp with tiktok influence + asian beauty going up in popularity

shes also really rich

she walks and talks rich and rich people are always romanticized and put on a pedestal

combination of all these factors + constant push from label too

• Her it girl status in Korea makes sense, but wow she is so popular internationally too! I saw the top 30 idol chart and she’s only behind the blackpink members

Tall, skinny, and pretty

• personally its so weird to me. when she was in izone i ould care less abt her. i think when ive was debuting, a lot of antis were just left and right bashing her for the most randomest things and those videos were trending so i ended up cheking out ives debut and i really liked it and fell for all the members including wonyoung. theres an obvious push for wonyoung but wonyoung does a really good job at everything, like i think she deserves to be center and you see how hardworking she is plus she is super pretty and has her own style so obv im going to fall for her

so basially i think its a combination of

1. when any celebrity (not just kpop) gets massive unfounded hate, it helps them in giving them recognition which allows them to gain fans

2. ive is a really appealing group to intl fans and obviously if u like the music, you're bound to like the members unless theyre horrible people

3. her personality and work ethic is admirable

4. gorgeous visual

5. distinct style (each of the it girls had a unique style/fashion that was well recieved and with ppl wanting to copy it/ be more like them, they were able to gain it girl status. suzy->girl next door, innocent style; jennie -> girl crush, cool style; wonyoung -> princess style?)

• It come with I've debuting and then having big appeal international, as we have see by their songs performance so far

Izone was nevermpopular internationally which it's not I've case, this open another door for wj as she was already popular in Korea do that help her getting even more popular bc 1 thin ifans like it's to like what it's popular in Korea

• A lot of people used to downplay her and say she didnt deserve being center of izone and only earned that because starship rigged it. But she kept showing why she is at the top of her game even at such young age she was always very professional and liked and requested by other industry professionals. After IVE's debut that just became more obvious, she obviously grew with IVE, not only she had a glow up but she also sharpened her skills, she literally doubled her followers in 6 months as an IVE member. She just have that it factor and she knows it which is why all the hate on her is useless

• same reason as most it girls, she's skinny, pretty, rich. People love those things.

and center of now two popular groups, so she obviously gets a lot of attention.

• Starship glowed up her visuals

Aka they gradually fixed her face with surgery/fillers/implants changing her lips shape from thin to plump, nose, face shape and widening her eyelids. Now she looks like a doll + her proportions + elegant luxurious image that izone and now ss gave her that every teenager can live vicariously through. That's what happened to blackpink girls. Starship making her the same "avatar" that every girl can dream about being. It's one of the main reasons bp are massively popular worldwide.

She's a very good center. WY did good in izone, now she's doing good in ive stage presence wise. She may not be a dance prodigy, but she gives her all which I find admiring. Especially when other members shared how she never complains. Just look at her recent baseball activity, she looked really tired there. Like starship is really overworking her.

She's a hard worker, ambitious and calculative which is not bad at all. Cause you will never see her slip the way other idols do(unless you are looking to hate). Other idols like twice chaeyoung are very care free, free spirits. She dgaf about catering to uncle fans/male fans/female fans. She doesn't care about korean beauty or character standards - her tatoos and weird hairstyles that make her look weird and turn off Koreans. That time when cut off her hair without jyp's permission. I genuinely believe they punished her by giver her less and less lines after that lol

Meanwhile WY is the definition of the ideal girl for them(Like Kim Tae Hee but in idol world). Her real voice is very deep but she stays doing aegyo voice (bp girls did the same too, like rose slipping on live and talking with her real voice was funny af). Her cute "unnie" went viral on twitter. Which is why she is so popular in Korea. And that's one of the reasons why international kpop stans pay attention to her, cause whoever is popular there is like a huge validation to them. Idols being popular overseas only is not enough, who else is going to give them paks bragging rights if not the general public?

Plus Ive having bops you can listen without feeling embarrassed in public lol

She's very private. In this age when celebrities overshare everything, people complained a loooot how they wish those would stfu and be mysterious. That's what makes people intrigued with WY too!

Anyway, my essay went overboard, but you get the point.

• Plus I think her being affiliated with enhypen Sunghoon helped too. Yes I said it.

South Korean government themselves shared the graph about what is the most popular product worldwide. Bts ofc were the first with Squid game. Then others like txt, iu & her drama AND enhypen! I think enhypen were the largest circles after bts and sg.

Enhypen other words were some other member? + sunghoon, an mc on music bank. Guess what word was next to sunghoon? Wy's name lol

No other 4th gen female idols individually

• I know she is one of the popular member in Izone, but since IVE she has been more popular than ever. I also don't know the reason why.

It seems she also get more hates about anything she does now, while in Izone she got hates because she became the center and later when she lost her weight. I still don't understand the reason why, because I always see her as a baby.

• The first impression from people that didn't know izone or ive to wonyoung is they stunned by her beauty.
    And maybe after getting interested, they searched ive or izone and got hooked by their songs

• first because of produce 48, she's the center/first place, every single produce series first place become popular. Then izone,she become the it girl. After that ive,idk how but her international popularity increase.

• Yeah right I still remember how people (me included) were surprised that she was crowned as izone’s center because she was like nobody in produce 48, not like somi who obviously everyone’s fav. Suddenly she just becomes popular and more popular after izone disbanded

• Plus I think her being affiliated with enhypen Sunghoon helped too. Yes I said it.

South Korean government themselves shared the graph about what is the most popular product worldwide. Bts ofc were the first with Squid game. Then others like txt, iu & her drama AND enhypen! I think enhypen were the largest circles after bts and sg.

Enhypen other words were some other member? + sunghoon, an mc on music bank. Guess what word was next to sunghoon? Wy's name lol

No other 4th gen female idols individually

Isn't the post about Wonyoung's popularity in SK?

Then that graph has little relevance. And she definitely does not need Enhyphen/Sunghoon association for her popularity.

The reasons are simple - by Produce 48 she already was a public favorite - she did win the show.

I*zone retained her popularity and built a strong fanbase. Wiz*ones and PUP is a impressive fan activism, far better than ARMY meddling with BLM anti-Trump or anti-Marcos politics.

IVE has had a great debut and a fantastic followup- where as the center, she shines the most.

And yes, hosting always increases the profile of the idol - be it from IU, Suzy or recently Arin. Inkigayo/Music Bank stints are a boost.

Starship has been good in making sure she and the group stay continuously in public eye.

She is very beautiful even among beautiful idol and can play to the camera.

Rest is fortune, which makes viral moments for its favorites.

• WY popularity doesn't surprise me at all. I was surprised WY wasn't more popular from the beginning of PD48. She was clearly center material.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!