Posts by Disevidence

Garam rumours started the day of her announcement. It preceded debut of them a fair way. Why that is confusing to so many people beggar's belief (a more cynical person would say bad faith actors)

Therefore, when the Law Firm sent the documents and request for retraction, it had been weeks of the Garam speculation flying about already, and was still pre-debut.

An extremely cynical take is Hybe are handling this pretty well, considering they have a "confirmed" perpetrator of school violence in their group.

• Initial rumours - they just responding saying "no u".
    • Actual Victim sends via representation request and information pre-debut
    • They sit on it entirely, have a successful debut and get their promo all out there, songs in people's playlists and minds.
    • Yunseo and their Law Firm is forced by the clever but sneaky way Hybe just sat on the initial request to go Public.
    • Hybe then pull out the "woah minors we can't talk about that" card despite no response for almost a month to legal documents (intern lose that mail too Hybe?)
    • Hybe then release a bunch of completely unsubstantiated "whataboutisms" related to the case,. but enough to succesfully muddy the waters and provide plausible deniability. This has worked a treat given all the Garam shooters suddenly re-appearing and populating threads the last few days

So yeah, dealt a bad hand by actually you know, having a confirmed perpetrator in their midst, they've done a great job of providing enough fandom cover so that she'll rejoin in 3-4 months right in time for their next comeback.

What really happens is up to the Korean Public, but I bet in a few months time the anger wont' be enough to stop them having a decently viable comeback, albeit with probably less promos.

So yeah, while everyone's been dunking on Hybe, I think a cynical take is they've handled this pretty well. Shelved the accusations enough to basically reach critical mass on debut.

To inject a personal opinion for a moment, I'm less interested in the Garam scandal affects it and more along the lines of what is a pretty "meh" song climbing the charts. I thought they misfired with the song but just goes to show that Hitman does know what he's doing still.

Of course, a massive wave of promo and 2 popular izone members goes very far, but still, impressive debut (outside of all the other factors).

I don't think the Garam scandal will affect the song overly much on the digital charts- it's already on people's playlists, they've listened to it etc.

What's more likely to occur is a bigger uphill climb next song, as their promo opportunities are limited by the scandal/cloud still above their heads, and therefore less opportunity for a listener base to get it in front of a general audience.

That's essentially what happened with Idle - they had hardly any promo's the first few weeks and preceeding I Never Die/Tomboy, but once it hit Daebak and given the lag of time to book and prep their appearance, they started popping up everywhere.

LSF will have to get over that hurdle next song which could deeply impact their digital charting.

So what did she do? What school violence? We don't know what she did to the victim. That's why I said there's no evidence. I'm waiting for the actual context to come out.

What a twist on the word evidence. The fact of the school committee occuring is a verifiable document not in dispute. Facts not in dispute (legally) are accepted by both sides as evidence. This isn't some weird classification you made, this is specific legal procedure.

exactly. ppl are blowing this out of proportion without even understanding/knowing what truly happened. we can't believe everything we see on the internet.

You just completely agreed to someone and I quote - "exactly" who said that Hybe's unsubstantiated version of the story is "the facts".

I'm getting a clear idea of what the criteria is now, for yourself. And it's not a good look -

Official school document = Not Evidence.

Unsubstantiated statements and allegations released by Hybe = "Facts".

no facts or evidence.

There's a literal document confirming the school violence committee took place and Kim Garam being the perpetrator named in the document. Hybe have inferred it's real (but dispute the facts surrounding the case), the Ministry confirms it's real.

Actually, Source Music directly confirm it's real too, as they quote the Kim Garam's mother.

How is that "no evidence"? Christ almighty.

People doubted Tomboy every step of the way to be honest.

This thread alone is littered with some of these ill-fated predictions.

"Oh Pop Rock it won't chart well"

"Oh it'll peak sharply and then fall"

"It won't get RAK"

"It won't get PAK"

"Once Still Life goes past it it'll drop rapidly in the charts"

Just goes to show how wrong prognostications can be.

Onto digital news - LD and Tomboy look like they're going to continue their shootout at around 420k ULs. Last week has been incredibly even for both of them, and I honestly expect to see a bump to all top 3 thanks to recent University Performances.

As discussed earlier, looking at the rate of Gaon accumulation for albums, even with Taeyeon's massive head start I think Hero will overtake and be top Gaon by the end of the year. His ahjumma's are very, very consistent so far.

I think we can expect Top 3 to be Hero, INVU, and then a combination of IU/BTS or maybe Idle if the very interesting climb of "never stop me" continue unabated. The songs risen from low teens to 30k ul's over the last few days and shows no sign of slowing, the reason for which is unclear. If it also enters the top 100 and My Bag and Tomboy hold their positions I never die will climb up the album charts again.

LSF will be fine, and Garam won't leave.

Garam will go on hiatus to "reflect", pop back up in 6 months, any fans will still buy stuff saying "I support the other 5 girls" if they have issues with Garam.

Hybe's latest statement gives the die-hards enough plausible deniability to dismiss the claims and continue trucking on.

What about Choown though?

So what happened is this -

Chowon performed too well in P48, and had to be rigged out.

This caused the makeup and scandal of Izone to be what it was.

Sakura and Chaewon, scarred from the scandal, chose to sign with the biggest label they could. Minju, also frightened, decided to exit the Kpop space.

Thus, HYBE, having 2 Ex-Izone sign on to them due to the P48 scandal, had to finish a group - so they stumbled across Garam. Having saw that Mnet made millions of dollars of the back off the rigged Iz*one group, they thought it didn't matter what occured, and went full steam ahead.

It all starts with Chowon!

There's no option in the poll that they just continue to steam ahead while putting out non-statements every-time it flares up in the media.

Hybe are basically more or less calling the bluff of the Korean Public, it appears. Their songs will still chart well, their albums will still sell well, because fans will delude themselves into supporting then going "well i'm supporting the other 5 girls" and members of the GP will forget about the scandal quick smart.

Long story short - Garam will stay, LSF/Hybe fans will tie themselves in cognitive dissonant knots to continue supporting the group/label, and the members of the public will forget about it.

Kpop stans in general will never have the moral fortitude to detach themselves from a group based on the companies actions.

HYBE needs to cut its connection to Source Music.

What?

There was a massive thing with Bang and a photo of Chaewon and Sakura, and then the news that he would be officially involved in their group etc, and now the turn around is implied to be - "Cut Source adrift, not Hybe's problem" ?

Hybe have pretty clearly been steering this ship from day 1, anyone trying to act like this is all just Source is kidding themselves.

(Not commenting on the allegations to or for, I don't know enough for any judgement on those).

Hann is such, such a good song. That wordplay, the rhyming scheme is legitimately off the wall good. Simple but effective melody that haunts the backline of the song. The inspiration and the callbacks to a well known Korean Poem.

Still Soyeon's best song, what a masterpiece.

Latata was my cup of tea but I can recognise it's strengths, Latata/Hann is a one-two combo of excellent musical establishment and top tier songwriting from a debut idol.

SOTY contenders for what award? Afair, different awards have different requirements :melon_think:

Well I was being quite broad, but let's break it down.

MMA - 60% digital, 20% judges, 20% online Votes. Digitals *so far this year* that are strongest Still Life, Tomboy, and looking like That That, as noted only one so far to get above 500k. Love Dive and FMR, and INVU are the next tier who could take it away with strong judge and online votes. This is only looking at songs released, and BTS could get it again this year, strong possibility.

Mama - 40% judges, 30% Gaon, 10% Gaon Album, 10% YT, 10% Apple - This is in a way the hardest to predict due to the 40% judges vote. 10% Gaon will go for BTS - and all 3 current front runners, Psy, Big Bang, Idle have relatively low to no album sales. At this stage their ahead but it's hardest to predict

Asian/GDA/Seoul - all roughly follow a sales/judges/fan vote, but the breakdowns I don't have close at hand. They roughly follow the patterns above - stay in touch, and then a big judge or fan vote score can push you over.

For many of these, the frontrunners (*so far this year*) are those - but I'd say any of the ones that have stuck around the top - Idle, Psy, Big Bang, Red Velvet, IVE are in with a shot with fan/judge scores going their way.

This is only song of the year where mostly physicals aren't so impactful. If it's album or record then That That or Still Life aren't in play, and Idle will struggle against the big sellers of BTS/RV/IVE.

Of course if BTS release another dynamite, or IU comes back, then it all changes completely. This is just a very early mid-year prediction to it all (cept Melon and Gaon, who tend to use length of the year as scope).

Tomboy back at #3 all daily charts. It's very strong on weekends. I expect it to drop back to number 4 during the weekdays.

Still Life dropping more than I expected, That That is stabilizing at 500k, but could still rise next week.

At this rate That That, Still Life, Tomboy appear to be the 3 frontrunners for SOTY. Of course that depends on That That's longevity at bit, but those are the only 3, unless I missed something, to break 500k on Melon.

Music bank is just random first they say physical sales only count for 5% but we all know sales are carrying the score now you participate in one broadcast and suddenly you pull 5000 making no sense

The digitals and physicals are easily calculable however. In some ways it's weird, but in other ways it does kind of make sense their calculation system (in isolation) for those 2 scores.

What's the factor is their broadcast score appears to be scaled to the "max" digital score, and because the digital score criteria is what it is, the broadcast score has an outsized impact on the results. And that's what KBS wants - you want to confirm winning, come to our shows during promotional period.

So in the end they get plausible deniability, but get to put their finger on the scale. I'd say it's all rather quite clever by them to work it that way, in a "hey nice underhanded trick" kind of way.

If we ignore broadcast for a moment, a digital single can actually take home Music Bank, but they would need like 4 physical monsters to all come back in the same tracking period. It's the only music show that's so heavily dependent on when other people cameback (even more than just competition).