Posts by sleeplessnights

As a driver, I had a couple of close calls, but managed to avoid them luckily. First incident I was driving relatively fast because it was like 2am and streets were empty. All of a sudden a guy tried to cross the street and almost jump in front of my car, but I managed to evade him in time. Second incident I did a U turn a little too fast and almost rolled over.

As a pedestrian, a car rear run over me, but it didn't cause serious injuries, but it did hurt.

As a cyclist, I was going downhill fast and for some stupid reason I just pressed break too hard and I flew over. I probably did a 360 or two before landing in my butt in a sitting position. It didn't cause injuries luckily. It could have been pretty bad as I landed on asphalt. it was embarrassing thou.

More and more experts expressed that herd immunity was impracticable due to the duration of the effectiveness of the vaccine and the speed of the mutation of the virus.

That was before the Delta variant became the dominant one and how vaccines and this variant work with each other. These original plans didn't take these in consideration at the time as these data were still monitored. When I say herd immunity, it is just the target they wanted for November which is covering most of the population and was the buzz word used at the time.

As comparison with the graph, probably Italy would be better comparison as they are closer in population and economy size.

Well at least their graph are moving. USA is stuck in the 50%ish mark way too long :(

It's really odd to see Korea and Japan having such a low rate of vaccination, they toke really strict measures when during the beginning of the pandemic but her they're with low vaccine rate, do people refuse to take the vaccine or the countries aren't doing a good job at sensitizing people ?

Actually Japan wasn't that strict with their measures due to trying to salvage the Olympics at the time. They did close schools early on and restricted flights from China and SK as well when a cluster hit Daegu (at the time SK was one of the epicenters of the pandemic). It was mostly initiative of their citizens taking precautions than Japanese government acting. Otherwise, the central government itself took it sweet time for bigger restrictions. Even during the last Olympics, they failed to implement stricter guidelines.

It's not much refusal of the locals, more like both governments didn't take actions as a priority initially compared to EU or USA, missing bids for the vaccine, and possible backdoor deals as well. There is local frustrations from how both countries handled it. Looking at SK timeline, they already missed July's target, they will miss September's target, and their herd immunity target for November seems unlikely.

Judging from what you watched, just check the newer popular ones like Boku no Hero Academia, Attack on Titan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Jojo, and Kimetsu no Yaiba.

For more romantic genre beside already recommended:

Nodame Cantabile (my personal favorite)

Akagami no Shirayuki-hime

Your Lie in April

Emma: A Victorian Romance

Saiunkoku Monogatari

Akatsuki no Yona

Fruits Basket

Nana

Air TV and Clannad

Maybe some oldie like Fushiji Yuugi

For generally good ones not yet listed:

check movies from Satoshi Kon (Paprika)

Mushishi

Planetes

Monogatari series

Violet Evergreen

Sound! Euphonium

They call it self-insertion? right ?

It's sexist and hypocryte,

sad things about training

Dunno if it's the same idea of self-insertion. More like the idea the idol is the perfect gf or bf material fantasy. That's why they have these ridiculous rules for not dating and shit. There are sexual connotations as well. That's why there is too much focus on looks and beauty standards and not so much for singing or dancing (unless the main ones). There is focus on archetypes as well like maknae. That's why some criticize Kpop as being fabricated.

Now SK fans being sexist and hypocrite? Yeah, Korean society in general is still pretty patriarchal and sexist. It was worse before, but it should be better by now.

Got Pfizer really long time ago (got it during the second wave to "essential workers"). First one, no big deal. Just some discomfort during the first day. Second one, I had to be in bed for a day and was feeling sick for 2 days at least.

My sisters had similar reaction. My brother-in-law and mom didn't feel as bad and even went to work the next day like nothing happened.

Do you mean the fans in SK, right? I don't think international Kpop community cares much about these sorta scandals.

Now for SK (Japan and China as well), idols are treated as a public figures who need to be held in higher standards and they are selling a fantasy idea with their idol image package. Any blemish will stain their image which they are selling.

For smoking, I think female idols get more criticisms for that than male idols. Still, the maximum they may get is criticism. I don't think they get cancelled per se. Their image may suffer a bit, but smoking is quite widespread in SK society. It's kinda similar to plastic surgery. Idols hide or don't mention it even if it's obvious with very few being open about it.

Now with drugs, it is a crime there. We can all argue about the morality x legality of drugs and people should be allowed to be free to use them, but idols involved in criminal activities is a big no-no and harshly penalized (even if a citizen uses drugs in a place where it is legalized). Using drugs is viewed as a lack of morality strength and shit like that. The history of opium may also influenced the strong negative view of drug use. There are some recent relaxation toward cannabis for medicinal usage, but that's about it. Even bringing non-regulated medicine to SK even if it's legal in a different country is viewed negatively which to me it should just be a fine and move on instead of being a scandal.

Being an idol isn't easy, but they all know what they are getting into. Sadly even the ones who got caught don't speak up much about changing this too restrictive view of idols or fighting for causes like decriminalization of recreational drugs. I guess they know normal people don't get their politics from celebrities in SK (beside regulations and censorship) and idols aren't taken seriously as well. Watching some ex-idols, they kinda accept these as facts that can't be changed.

I'm more sorry about they being recruited so young and have to sculpt their lives around this lifestyle. Very few of them get to taste true success.

I think it was too early for something like as compulsory vaccination because these vaccines were quite new tech. They are breakthroughs and now we can apply this new tech to other diseases (like for flu and HIV).

Maybe compulsory vaccination should be on the table. I think in some more sane places like Western Europe, carrot and stick measures like vaccine papers seem to work pretty well even if it's not popular. In the USA which was at some point spearheading vaccination rates and now it's embarrassingly stuck at half way point, politicians don't have cojones to apply necessary measures that aren't popular (if not pandering antivaxxers). The more we wait to take the bitter pill, the worse and costly this gets.

People are saying "where's my freedom" bullcrap, but compulsory vaccinations happened in the past and helped with eradication of dangerous diseases. Also, I think it is backwards thinking. Because of antivaxx people, people who chose the responsible action are the ones who have their freedom restricted and being penalized. There are important issues to fight for when referring to liberties and freedom, but this one is the wrong hill for that.

Companies and institutions are the one forcing people now. When money and stability are on the line, they will act and not care for our freedoms.

The problem I see is equating this issue with tutoring issue. It could be just separated issues instead of a wide plan to fight dubiously their baby bust. Unless I see a similar article for gaming restrictions as a measure for presenting baby bust, I don't see it much as like using gaming as scapegoat for morality/mental health reasons as I stated before.

Well you could say tutoring is being used as scapegoat as their reasoning behind it seems pretty flawed. Still not surprising as they reluctantly revised their child policy at least one decade too late and now they may go for bandage solutions like this.

It seems more like the tutoring part is more about addressing social inequality and therefore it causes a baby bust or it seems to be the logic in the article. They are just cracking down on "disorderly expansion of capital". It does have some logic behind it as youth may not be able to have enough safety net to have a family due to inequality, but cracking down on these small things seem more like bandage to cover a deep wound. Again, not a surprise as it is just propaganda to say they are addressing the issue.

Going back to gaming, it is still weird to me to frame this as "solution" for the baby bust. I do get the framing of moral/health issue that may affect birthrate and therefore we need to fight this to improve it (kinda like their fight against obesity as well).

Reiterating what I said, it is still weird, but I didn't say it is surprising as CCP is prone to some baffling roundabout ways to solve issues (like their water problem).

I think it is all related to their plummeting birthrate.

They took a look at South Korea and Japan and their idol and game culture and seemingly apocalyptic demographics trend and they see China going in the same direction.

They are clobbering massive industries with billions in revenue and massive amount of jobs in China like entertainment and gaming (and cram schools and tutoring, outside the AKP's normal discourse.) It looks like they want to change the direction of their society and not end up like Korea who has a suicidal birthrate right now.

I think it is a weird conclusion to get. I'd consider people at top think this is a moral failing to let their youth rot under bad influence or similar excuse as they are more focused on stability and control at all cost. As far I see it is just framed as fighting against addictions. I believe they had similar measures before, but it didn't garner attention at news at the time and had no relation to birthrates.

Not sure if this is a secret reason to limit gaming. SK had similar limitations (maybe not as harsh, but coincidentally they are ending their curfew restrictions)when they had people dropping dead for playing too much happening. Demographics weren't used for such restrictions.

Assuming that's their true intention, this would be pretty weird way to combat it. Their recent child policy change is quite timid attempt. I don't doubt that could be used as a reason, but they aren't framing it this way.

Can we see indian idols or turkish idols in future kpop groups because kpop companies want to capitalise on those markets? Imagine a country of a population 100 times higher than korea supporting one idol from a kpop group just because they belong to the same country? How is that not considered an advantage?

Doesn't Turkey and India have their own decently sized music scene? Why would they try their chances in a far away place unless they really love Korea for some reason (kinda like some weebos try their luck in animation despite conditions and pay being pretty poor).

Now I'm trying to imagine a country with 100 times higher population than SK. This would be 50m x 100=5bi :pepe-hehe: . SK isn't that puny to make such statement.

Dunno why people think SK population is very small. For most of history, Korean peninsula was at top 20/30 in terms of population. Both Koreas together would be 75m which would be higher than France and Italy. I know what you tried to mean, but it's quite a funny hyperbolic statement.

Lot of watchers are casual enough to not check for fillers, so they will watch it because the episode is available and complain later. It is an obvious advice, but a good chunk of watchers never bother with these tips. Lot of anime watchers don't bother exploring as well.

I guess younger people don't have patient or the ease of social media just made everyone vocal. In my time before the internet, people watched 100+ episodes, filler or no filler. We didn't make any distinction. We were happy to watch what we could get. Ranma and DB had filler episodes and I was happy to just watch them canon or not. Imagine getting a mailed subbed episode of whatever show and getting a filler and sending a letter to the subber about it?