Why is BigBang not confined to an idol image?

• They have never been traditional idols and have always behaved freely, which has allowed them to achieve artist status and recognition among the general public. The same thing happened to Mamamoo, and to another extent to IU as well. It's a status that they owe to their talent and their way of being themselves, not to anything else.

For the 4th generation I do not see any group reaching this status for the moment. However, I can clearly see a person becoming one very soon, who is Soyeon. She follows exactly the same path.

Oooh yes, i have mad respect for Soyeon. She's an artist for sure.

• Should other idols be more free like that? It would pbly decrease the amount of delulus at least.

I think so. However, the boyfriend fantasy is a strong marketing tool so I can’t blame companies for employing it to generate profit. Many fans eat that stuff up.

• I think it has something to do with the fact that they never tried to have that “perfect image” they were just unapologetically them and put their music before their image and those who liked it became their fan, so these things didn’t shock them.

Its the fans that will decide a Groups downfall or not, I’m pretty sure the gp doesn’t really care if an Idol smokes or drinks or them being in a relationship, its the fans who get disappointed if their faves turn out to be different than how they present themself in public. If you loose your fans you’re doomed.

So it’s really more about the type of fans you have as a Group and VIP’s are very tolerant.

• Because they don't have to pander to fangirls in order to keep them afloat like 99% of boy groups.

Guys don't find them cringe or 'gay', they actually view BB as role models (as fucked up as it sounds knowing what the members have done)

• Because they don't have to pander to fangirls in order to keep them afloat like 99% of boy groups.

Guys don't find them cringe or 'gay', they actually view BB as role models (as fucked up as it sounds knowing what the members have done)

Is it the pandering to fangirls that get other groups labeled as cringe by male fans? Is it a chicken/egg thing?

Also, the member that did messed up things isn't in the group anymore, but either way, people shouldn't look to pop stars as role models.

• I think it has something to do with the fact that they never tried to have that “perfect image” they were just unapologetically them and put their music before their image and those who liked it became their fan, so these things didn’t shock them.

Its the fans that will decide a Groups downfall or not, I’m pretty sure the gp doesn’t really care if an Idol smokes or drinks or them being in a relationship, its the fans who get disappointed if their faves turn out to be different than how they present themself in public. If you loose your fans you’re doomed.

So it’s really more about the type of fans you have as a Group and VIP’s are very tolerant.

You make a great point regarding fans’ impact and influence. Additionally, people may say VIPs are older and therefore more tolerant but forgetting that older VIPs were young once too and they were already tolerant then. I think 2nd gen fans have a more blasé attitude in general.

BB actually has a 50:50 mix of male and female fans…

And GD’s androgynous look is what many would call gay, Taeyangs solos were heavily targeted towards girls.

Apart from that, I don’t see anything the members did that was so f**ed up to not consider them as role models… That one member who caused actual issues is gone and nobody knew about what he did until they were already on a long break. So you can’t really hold this against them.

• You make a great point regarding fans’ impact and influence. Additionally, people may say VIPs are older and therefore more tolerant but forgetting that older VIPs were young once too and they were already tolerant then. I think 2nd gen fans have a more blasé attitude in general.

Exactly. I mean the way you present yourself will decide what type of fans you will have and how tolerant they will be. If your fans aren’t that easy to be triggered by a “scandal” you won’t get canceled that fast.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!