[enter-talk] 2 MALE IDOLS ARE CONFIRMED FOR NEW BL DRAMA IN PRODUCTION

• I remember wishing for bl kdramas recently because I like the cheesy kdrama tropes. Glad to see they're being well received enough to make more. Some of those comments aren't it though.

• I don't know why you guys assume these Knetz are the same Knetz who enjoy BL when many other Knetz already made it clear they consider real life shipping or writing fanfics as sexual harassment and probably aren't into BL to begin with. Those comments obviously do not represent all of Knetz opinions or all of BL readers opinions. These generalizations are lost on me.

• I don't know why you guys assume these Knetz are the same Knetz who enjoy BL when many other Knetz already made it clear they consider real life shipping or writing fanfics as sexual harassment and probably aren't into BL to begin with. Those comments obviously do not represent all of Knetz opinions or all of BL readers opinions. These generalizations are lost on me.

My point isn't even about the K-netz in the comments. My point is they are making this kind of content, but as a whole the way Korea treats the LGBTQ community is pretty shit. I doubt this is going to address any real issues within gay rights while profiting off of it.

Who knows, maybe content like this will help the cause. Or maybe it won't. We'll just have to see. I know it's not going to happen with the current president they have in office though.

PGDPGT PRETTY GIRLS DOING PRETTY GIRL THINGS

417aa1c7e1372f9ae29d8e2f659d3f12cf0db4d9.gifv0d1493f18550d15d02f4c2bba44c12bdc01f518d.gifv

• My point isn't even about the K-netz in the comments. My point is they are making this kind of content, but as a whole the way Korea treats the LGBTQ community is pretty shit. I doubt this is going to address any real issues within gay rights while profiting off of it.

Who knows, maybe content like this will help the cause. Or maybe it won't. We'll just have to see. I know it's not going to happen with the current president they have in office though.

And I'm talking about the people assuming that all BL fans are homophobic? Unless you were making such a point, then I don't know why you are giving me this response.

I agree though, that it's wrong how Korea treats LGBTQ community and the country as a whole still has a far way to go. But at the end of the day having more BL drama made is still an improvement rather than having no form of LGBTQ in the media at all. There obviously needs to be a starting point somewhere and if this is what it takes to open doors, then that's just how it is.

• People are weird. You want to watch BL and read it, but don't want your bias associated with it?

Get it together. Is gay marriage legalized in Korea? Let's profit off of fangirl fantasies, but let's not support the people irl who live and breathe this.

yes they'll even ship their bias and read or see ship based art/fics but don't want them to be gay or associate with gayness

• And I'm talking about the people assuming that all BL fans are homophobic? Unless you were making such a point, then I don't know why you are giving me this response.

I agree though, that it's wrong how Korea treats LGBTQ community and the country as a whole still has a far way to go. But at the end of the day having more BL drama made is still an improvement rather than having no form of LGBTQ in the media at all. There obviously needs to be a starting point somewhere and if this is what it takes to open doors, then that's just how it is.

Because this is my thread. :eyes:

417aa1c7e1372f9ae29d8e2f659d3f12cf0db4d9.gifv0d1493f18550d15d02f4c2bba44c12bdc01f518d.gifv

• My point isn't even about the K-netz in the comments. My point is they are making this kind of content, but as a whole the way Korea treats the LGBTQ community is pretty shit. I doubt this is going to address any real issues within gay rights while profiting off of it.

if you want to wait for all of society to be accepting of LGBTQ rights before LGBT content is made, i don't know what to tell you bestie.

Representation in media IS a way to normalize.

And who said LGBT people want only stories where their "rights" are addressed? Cute love stories with no trauma are great representation as well.

• if you want to wait for all of society to be accepting of LGBTQ rights before LGBT content is made, i don't know what to tell you bestie.

Representation in media IS a way to normalize.

And who said LGBT people want only stories where their "rights" are addressed? Cute love stories with no trauma are great representation as well.

For me, it feels like they are profiting off of a marginalized group of individuals. Like, knowing the climate in Korea where celebrities can't even admit to being gay and how the only people cast as gay characters are people from unpopular groups because bigger agencies don't want to touch the media...it seems exploitative.

Like, you want to hide it and not acknowledge it, but still profit while the subjects of the content are still made to feel shameful. That would be like making a comedy about Russia and Ukraine in today's environment. I don't think all LGBTQ content should be tragic, but it feels weird to me that the only stuff they show on television in regard to LGBTQ characters is a romanticized version of it. Why not have both?

Maybe that's what we are moving toward, which would be great, but at least acknowledge the hypocrisy and that we aren't all the way there yet. That's my stance.

• For me, it feels like they are profiting off of a marginalized group of individuals. Like, knowing the climate in Korea where celebrities can't even admit to being gay and how the only people cast as gay characters are people from unpopular groups because bigger agencies don't want to touch the media...it seems exploitative.

Like, you want to hide it and not acknowledge it, but still profit while the subjects of the content are still made to feel shameful. That would be like making a comedy about Russia and Ukraine in today's environment. I don't think all LGBTQ content should be tragic, but it feels weird to me that the only stuff they show on television in regard to LGBTQ characters is a romanticized version of it. Why not have both?

Maybe that's what we are moving toward, which would be great, but at least acknowledge the hypocrisy and that we aren't all the way there yet. That's my stance.

You’re actually wrong a lot of LGBT content is trauma. That’s actually the vast majority of it. LGBT MCs dying or suffering. One of the things that’s lacking is more cute stories. The west LOVES to only show suffering stories for marginalized communities. Not them actually just being regular people having regular lives.

For me showing LGBTQ people living regular trauma free lives with fairy tale endings is not just “profiting” off them. And idk it feels dehumanizing to say so even if you didn’t mean it that way.

If they show like non con elements or other things that’s actually harmful then I get your point. But if it’s just going to be cute stories like another kdrama but with gay people, criticizing it feels pretty shallow.

• You’re actually wrong a lot of LGBT content is trauma. That’s actually the vast majority of it. LGBT MCs dying or suffering. One of the things that’s lacking is more cute stories. The west LOVES to only show suffering stories for marginalized communities. Not them actually just being regular people having regular lives.

For me showing LGBTQ people living regular trauma free lives with fairy tale endings is not just “profiting” off them. And idk it feels dehumanizing to say so even if you didn’t mean it that way.

If they show like non con elements or other things that’s actually harmful then I get your point. But if it’s just going to be cute stories like another kdrama but with gay people, criticizing it feels pretty shallow.

Let's just agree to disagree.

I think showing only one side of the story is bad. It's better to show all sides so that people who know nothing about that community can learn. You shouldn't only show the good or only show the bad.

• always casting straight people to play gay roles. I know there has to be at least 2 gay actors in Korea. It's like a slap to the face honestly. where are the gay people?

I don't know any except for Hong Seok Cheon

there was one K actor who came out years ago ...later he committed suicide ...I think I don't have to say more

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!