Are there any groups that succeed mostly due to concepts?

• who do we consider successful first? Most successful groups are from big agencies anyways. So concept really matters that much for them? they will at least moderately successful anyways regardless of the concept. For non big agency group I think concept definitely helps them to stand out a lot. Like for example ATEEZ really stands out with their pirate concept/lore but also they have great music, talent and charisma to complement it.

• as I understand the word concept I would say Brave Girls

but for them (from what others here have told me) performing for the military they wouldn't have succeeded so therefore they succeeded because of that concept???

• There aren't any groups super dependent on it. Most groups who do a major concept change also change their musical direction so you can't totally say it's concept related if they succeed or fail.

• There is one rookie gg that fits this category well and it doesnt come from Big 3

you can do it

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Overall success just bc of a concept? no, no groups comes to mind

Momentarily boost in interest and success bc of concept? Yes, then it was up to the group to keep the momentum.

I do think one of the reason that SHINee floored every competition around debut was their concept. Boy groups then were all about machu style, and a bg with flowery next door concept definitely stood out.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I don't think this is necessarily a shady question.

An example that comes to mind is Orange Caramel. The members of that group were also part of After School, so you can't say it was a difference in talents, but there's a pretty strong argument that OC eventually surpassed AS's popularity. They carved out a strong niche for themselves with their quirky concept, and actually were the proof of concept that sub-units could independently be successful. I think people forget these days just how risky sub-units used to be considered.

let's be friends

e9b8a6c6366aecb3faf71dcc6b4488775b109abb.gif

• Even if your concept is the best to ever exist, if your music is trash this won't get you anywhere. Concepts/Lore help with that to create a stronger and more dedicated fandom that will think of theories, create fun stuff together. But someone who wasn't a fan of the group will hardly become one now if the only thing they like about the group is their concept.

If anything, concepts can be the thing that prevent people from stanning

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!