[UPDATE] Students at an all-female high school in South Korea are being forced to write 'comfort' letters to soldiers by their school and are being harassed over it

• they should never be forced. Students may end up writing mean stuff cuz they were forced to write letter and some soldiers may be creeps who shouldn't have access to high-school girls..

I remember when I was in middle school we wrote Christmas letters to soldiers. But the teacher screened all the letters, and we didn't get letter back since we weren't supposed to sign our names. Privacy really matter.

You can do nice things like letters for soldiers or sending them chocolate or other goodies but it should be done in a manner that is safe and not forced.

• Something like this should be voluntary and not mandatory.

It’s not safe for the students cause some guys are creeps and it can get really dangerous for them, and it’s not helping the soldiers either if they get rude letters from students cause they were forced to write them and didn’t wanted too. It’s like their form of protesting against it.

This shouldn’t be a rule!

I agree completely! This should be optional in case some students actually want to do it to show their appreciation and know the risk(s) involved, but not forced to. That’ll just make both sides unhappy and it’s just not needed. Have a great day/night!

• they should never be forced. Students may end up writing mean stuff cuz they were forced to write letter and some soldiers may be creeps who shouldn't have access to high-school girls..

I remember when I was in middle school we wrote Christmas letters to soldiers. But the teacher screened all the letters, and we didn't get letter back since we weren't supposed to sign our names. Privacy really matter.

You can do nice things like letters for soldiers or sending them chocolate or other goodies but it should be done in a manner that is safe and not forced.

Took the words right out of my mouth and said everything I was thinking. We can, and should, appreciate people serving the country, but it should never be forced on either side so that no resentment is built up towards the other group. When it is done, it should be safely and when both sides want to do so. That’s my take on situations like these. Forcing these girls to do this is not the way to go about it. Have a great day/night!

Exactly… forcing it isn’t helping anyone and the consequences can be or will be severe for the students. It’s from 1961 according to the article, we are in 2022, like how is this still a thing and why only an All-Girls School and not an All-Boys school too? Shouldn’t they be receiving supportive letters from their brothers and sisters of the country? Why are they attached to a military base in the first place ? So many questions lol. I have the feeling that back in the days it was even worse. As a parent I would have took my daughter out of that school if the school doesn’t want to change that.

• Pinky_Peachy

Changed the title of the thread from “Students at an all-female high school in South Korea are being forced to write 'comfort' letters to soldiers by their school and are being harassed over it” to “[UPDATE] Students at an all-female high school in South Korea are being forced to write 'comfort' letters to soldiers by their school and are being harassed over it”.
  • I agree with this, I also sent letters to the soldiers, but we were not forced to do this, only whoever wanted to sent it, this seemed to me a good idea that is why I wrote several letters and also did not sign them, everything was anonymous.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!