"but namjoon!" - an analysis of kpop's biggest scapegoat (part 2)

• PLEASE READ PART ONE AND THE DISCLAIMERS AT THE BOTTOM BEFORE COMMENTING!!!

Everytime I post one of these threads I get a little sinking feeling, but at the same time the first one performed so fucking well even with all the drama and the only reason I’m posting this is bc the first one had a character limit! So as always, thank you for all the love! Hopefully people don’t act like absolute morons here.

This thread exists because there was a character limit on the other one!

Now… as I was saying.

You might be thinking: “Vi, what more could you possibly need to say on this situation?!”

A little more. I didn’t think I would need to but apparently I do.

So curb your enthusiasm little antis, page 7 will be there whenever you need it!

Let’s begin.

I already broke down most player hater “nAmjOoN dId nOt ApOLoGizE!!!11!!!”/”nOt rEaL aPoLoGy!!!1!” logic in the original thread along with providing proof of growth.

And I could continue and go into more specifics, but I won’t.

Here’s why you shouldn’t either!

TLDR: Nothing BTS (or Namjoon) ever do will be good enough for some people so there is literally 0 point trying to change anyone’s opinion. Some people use k-pop as unhealthy escapism and their fave making a mistake distorts that fantasy, so they deflect to Namjoon.

Anyone here a psychology or sociology major?

Yes? No?

Let’s talk about the selective exposure theory.

The selective exposure theory refers to an individual’s tendency to favor information which reinforces their pre-existing beliefs/views while avoiding contradictory information. (It’s also been known as “confirmation bias”). People will take apart information given to them, and either reject it or accept it based on their own beliefs and mindset. They choose the idea/information that is favorable to them. When those same individuals are confronted with information that contrasts their ideas and previous information given to them, people use certain defense mechanisms in order to achieve their own peace of mind (cognitive equilibrium). The selective exposure theory is crucially based on the assumption that one will continue to seek out information on an issue that they have already established their firm (opposing) stance on.

An example of this would be the antis refusing to acknowledge any of his explanations or apologies- instead they seek out situations where he could come off as racist, etc. in order to confirm their bias. Antis will go deep diving through BTS’ videos under the guise of “being informative”, but their stance on the situation/RM has already long been established.

Ladies and gentlemen… we broke down “but namjoon”ers.

People who use the “but namjoon” argument do not have the intention of changing (and we shouldn’t try to change them).

However, we can be well-informed about his growth and what he’s done since then.

This speech speaks for itself (literally). I mean… wow. It leaves me speechless every. time.

Who even does… that? I want you to imagine going out of your way to do that. Sure, Americans/other foreigners could make the effort to understand the culture more and realize that the word doesn’t mean what they think it does- but RM closed the gap and left no room for misinterpretation. The argument that he doesn’t care quickly comes apart when you realize he did this in 2018, 5 years after that incident. It’s obvious he does care, and he does want to right his wrongs- it’s shown through his actions consistently ever since he promised to better himself during his Hello 2017 V-live where he discussed his past mistakes and issues. If he didn’t care, I don’t think he would’ve taken a precaution that some people have deemed “unnecessary”.

It’s difficult to argue someone is a bad person when they have created multiple circumstances (the rest mentioned in the other thread) throughout their lives and have subsequently used those situations as stepping stones whilst uplifting others. If you try to explain this to an anti from an objective and non-Namjoon related standpoint, you’ll REALLY get to witness the logical fallacy they got going on.

It’ll look something like this:

Person B: My fave is in a controversy again for being racist.

Person A: What?

Person B: Yeah. Some of the lyrics are iffy, but at least they’re not Namjoon.

Person A: Namjoon acknowledged and apologized for his behavior years ago. He’s also working to become a better person. He even changed the lyrics to “Fake Love” just to make sure people wouldn’t mix up the lyrics because some words sound alike!

Person B: Um. I don’t know. He hasn’t done enough. It seems kinda disingenuous.

Or maybe even this:

Anti: I am sorry for saying that very offensive word again, it’s a bad habit. I know it’s the fifth time but I swear I’ll stop. Forgive me?

Any sane person: No

Anti: But YOU OWE ME YOUR FORGIVENESS!!! YOU FORGAVE NAMJOON!!!

You see the issue here? By their own logic, no human can grow and become a better person except for them or the people they favor- and especially not RM. & yes I KNOW that seems like a given but hey, it’s better to over-explain then to under-explain.

So today I will leave you with some logical fallacies, because why not? Fun fact: an anecdotal evidence fallacy x Army TWT analysis thread should be coming soon!

Anecdotal evidence fallacy: people base their arguments on their own experiences- emotion outweighs factual evidence and they fail to realize they are generalizing just one circumstance.

Slothful induction fallacy: god this one should just be named the k-pop fallacy. This fallacy occurs when one ignores substantial evidence and makes a claim based on coincidence or something completely irrelevant to the argument. In this fallacy, there is facts and evidence that what you are saying is in fact true, the person arguing you just chooses not to acknowledge it.

Tu qoque fallacy: this should be called the AKP fallacy because half the people who will try to argue with me do this instead lmao. This fallacy occurs when the opposing side decides not to create a valid counter argument, and instead criticizes you on something unrelated or arbitrary. This is just straight up attacking someone without coming up with a logical counterclaim- a common occurrence on this forum.

There are more but these are my faves :)

Anyways, I’m so glad they finally reunited with Armys, even though I’m total lime green jello (I’m so jelly).

I thought I was okay but...

But Namjoon-

B-but Namjoon-

But Namjoon was lookin’ so good at these concerts wowee!

- Vi :borahae:

Edited once, last by FeLiNa ().

• disclaimers:

1. This thread was NOT created with the intention of changing people’s minds, it is created for opinion + educational purposes

2. The only reason this didn’t go into the last thread was because of the character limit

3. This is NOT a targeted attack at anyone on here/any group or fandom

4. There will not be a part three (duh)

5. There is a difference between being an anti and being a POC who won’t accept his apology. They are two different things. I am discussing antis. POC are entitled to their own opinions and feelings as to whether they want to accept the apology or not.

6. This is NOT some moral superiority shit.

Edited once, last by FeLiNa ().

• The fallacy fallacy (also known as the argument from fallacy) is a logical fallacy that occurs when someone assumes that if an argument contains a logical fallacy, then its conclusion must be false.

^

just take this into account aswell

LAFBL0s.gif

let us gather around for the lord’s prayer:

Nævis we love you. You are the one who protected me when i was in trouble. MY victory, one SYNK DIVE. I know your sacrifices. Let’s meet surely after the resurrection.

Æmen

:pepe-pray:

• the way i couldn't even quote you because my post would exceed the character limit that way :cryingr:

LAFBL0s.gif

let us gather around for the lord’s prayer:

Nævis we love you. You are the one who protected me when i was in trouble. MY victory, one SYNK DIVE. I know your sacrifices. Let’s meet surely after the resurrection.

Æmen

:pepe-pray:

• yes? lmao i would've included it if i didn't have to cut most of the info. arguments with logical fallacies can still be incorrect.

• Tu qoque fallacy: this should be called the AKP fallacy because half the people who will try to argue with me do this instead lmao. This fallacy occurs when the opposing side decides not to create a valid counter argument, and instead criticizes you on something unrelated or arbitrary. This is just straight up attacking someone without coming up with a logical counterclaim- a common occurrence on this forum.

I love ad hominem attacks

/s

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• FeLiNa

Selected a post as the best answer.
  • yes gurl! You go! Also mind putting me on that taglist?

I agree with this whole thing. And honestly, I think Slothful Induction fallacy and Tu qoque fallacy are things kpop fans struggle with(specifically toxic ones). Or more specifically the home page users that are trending anything that could remotely bring hate to BTS.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!