Question: Could a KPop-group with a handicaped member work?

• IDK why I thought of this

Let's asume one member had only 1 arm or would sit in a wheelchair or was deaf on one ear

I know there were musucians in other countries who are handicaped (example the Japanese vocalist Ayumi Hamasaki is deaf on one ear) but IDK how this would work in KPop

For example:

Let's say there is a boygroup with 6 member. The agency saw one of them singing on the streets and even tho he sits in a wheelchair asked them if he would like to become trainee and he even made it to the final lineup of the company's new group.

Can you imagine that this could work?

A.C.E | ATEEZ | DRIPPIN| MCND | NU'EST | ONF | SF9 | Stray Kids | TFN

• that depends on whether the person went through the same training and whatnot that other trainees go through and actually had talent or visuals or something and not just a gimmick...

the worse thing is if the company merely used that handicapped person as some sort of gimmick to increase the group's image or something...

• I mean, choreography and singing is pretty important to kpop so idk. If a handicapped person could do the choreo and sing, I'd imagine that wouldn't be an issue.

But for the choreography aspect, if they can't do normal choreo, than the company would have to figure out a non-traditional structure to include the handicap member in it somehow. In which case, I'm not going to say it's impossible but I can't really see many companies wanting to put in the effort to do that...

💣🎇 P1Harmony 5th Mini Album 'HARMONY : SET IN' OUT NOW!!!💥💣
    b675bae17756d66b1c583cc777acfaac3606736b.gifv7e6700291c446212998eba09549f464a739c91a3.gifv4cd7cc8dafce05255d7d96dfae0cd85dc47c4e21.gifv

P1harmony|SHINee|ITZY|ONF|Monsta X|Purple Kiss|KARD|ONEWE|Pentagon|Billlie|NCT Dream|Ghost9|GOT7

• It doesn't seem impossible.

But in case of physical disability, because adjustments would need to be made to choreographies and the structure of the group, the company would need to be really intent on debuting said member. A big company can just choose an able-bodied trainee, whereas a small company might be afraid to take the "risk".

I hope it can happen one day, though. There must be young people out there who are physically disabled but want to be idols.

• It's not impossible-impossible, but in term of physical disabilities, I feel like it would still depend on whether or not they can do 'normal' choregraphy.

They don't have to be the best dancers, but I don't think a company would want to take the time thinking outside the box to accomodate a handicapted members - which sucks btw as it could lead to very interesting things.

• It really depends on the handicap.

Deaf in one ear can work, I'm sure there are idols that have had their hearing impacted by now but never said anything.

Missing arms can work, missing legs on the other hand would be tricky. Being fully wheelchair bound could actually work but probably only for a main vocal/center. That person would most likely have to spend most of their time in the center of the stage and it'd take a lot to get of the awkwardness. It just depends on the amount of effort a company is will to put in and sees in the artist. Honestly, I'd be interested in seeing it

• Well... Kim Hongin is deaf. (I have heard people use the word "hearing disability", but I don't know...)

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

He has not debuted in any kpop group though.

And I know that CLON has a member that sits in wheelchair. (it is because of a motorcycle accident, that happened while he was still in the group)

And I saw them at the opening ceremony of Paralympics 2018, where they had a performance that also featured two back up dancers sitting in wheelchairs.

• Thinking of it, as the band ROYAL PIRATES existed. IDK if you can really call it a handicap but James inujured his hand so badly that he had to get 8 surgeries on it and he went from playing guitar to playing keyboard cause of it. All I remember is that it was said if he hadn't gotten any surgery they had ambutated his hand and cause he don't wants to loose the hand he got those 8 surgeries since he even years later gets a lot pain in his hand all the time.

BTW I think it was also said back than that the band had either disbanded or got into a very long hiatus after James someday left. It was rumored back than that he mainly left the band cause of the pain in his hand. Not sure what the members do now, but I saw that Moon Kim was credited as an producer for multiple Japanese, Korean and American songs

A.C.E | ATEEZ | DRIPPIN| MCND | NU'EST | ONF | SF9 | Stray Kids | TFN

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!