Are survival shows lowkey oversaturating the KPOP industy?

• I don't think so. The K-pop industry is already saturated by itself.

But they may saturate the survival audition industry. This year we had Nizi Project, Girls Planet 999, LOUD, and Wild Idol. Next year we will have Boys Planet 999, i-Land 2, Nizi Project 2, NCT Hollywood, and God knows what else.

I don't know if I'd include the Japanese Nizi project as they aren't like the other Idol shows. There really wasn't any audience participation that determined any of the outcomes. Also it has nothing to do with the KPOP industry just the Japanese industry as it wasn't even aired in Korea. It's more like the internal workings of what the normal IDOL elimination process is.

• K-pop is frightening in how far the parasocial relationship is going.

Companies and even the 'acts' might find themselves being the dogs wagged by the tail.

True, in all industries the consumer is the king, but when the product is living people and unlike with other products where consumers when dissatisfied dump and move on, organize and pressurize 'the product' to change etc.

I am not sure whether to be happy that consumers have that sort of power, because in history that invariably leads to cults and mobs.

Dune the movie is releasing, a good example of how originally the 'messiah' of the cult, eventually becomes the prisoner of his own popularity and unable to do anything about the fanaticism of the his own devotees.. goes mad.

Such used to be about religions, politics - but in entertainment ..

• Survival shows are fantastic, because Kpop is a 'Popularity-fandom' industry and nothing like a survival sport to get fans emotionally invested in the idol - in very early days itself. sort of like J-pop model.

But what Kpop companies have failed, is in converting that popularity into viable groups.

#1. The project groups should have just continued - Companies should learn to share.

#2. Or the popular contestants should have gone solo - Chungha and Kang Daniel had the good sense/circumstance to do so, others got the momentum squandered. (Somi solo, but still squandered)

#3. Or go with established sets, Jellyfish should have just done SeMiNa and not put the three into the larger group- though others of Gugudan were pretty good too.

Survival shows help idols to stand out better than in open market. Particularly from the smaller companies.

Too many survival shows - maybe. but while viewership is there, money is to be made.,

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!