HYBE, SM, JYP & YG Reveal Their 2nd Quarter Profits For 2021

• HYBE, SM, JYP and YG reveal their 2nd quarter profits for 2021

HYBE-SM-JYP-and-YG-reveal-their-2nd-quarter-profits-for-2021.jpg

JYP Entertainment

JYP Entertainment, which reached a net income of ₩4.80 billion KRW (about $4.12 million USD) in 2021’s second quarter. The company’s operating profit was ₩9.60 billion KRW (about $8.24 million USD) after generating ₩40.6 billion KRW (about $34.8 million USD) in sales.

While none of the companies came back earlier in the year, Q2 of 2021 saw acts like DAY6, ITZY, TWICE boost sales significantly with their new releases.

SM Entertainment

SM Entertainment reached a net income of ₩16.3 billion KRW (about $14.0 million USD) in 2021’s second quarter. The company’s operating profit was ₩27.5 billion KRW (about $23.6 million USD) after generating ₩186 billion KRW (about $160 million USD) in sales.

In Q2 of 2021, SHINee and SHINee’s Taemin, Super Junior‘s Yesung, EXO, and NCT Dream all came back with new releases. The quarter also saw Red Velvet‘s Wendy and Joy make their solo debuts, further boosting sales.

HYBE

HYBE had the highest net income of 2021’s second quarter: ₩20.2 billion KRW (about $17.3 million USD). The company’s operating profit was ₩28.0 billion KRW (about $24.0 million USD) after generating ₩279 billion KRW (about $239 million USD) in sales.

After a quiet first quarter, Q2 of 2021 saw numerous HYBE artists make their comebacks: BTS, TXT, SEVENTEEN, NU’EST, and ENHYPEN, all racking up sales and streams.

YG Entertainment

YG Entertainment is the only company from the “Big 4” that failed to turn a profit in 2021’s second quarter, ending June with a loss of ₩1.50 billion KRW (about $1.29 million USD). The company’s operating profit was ₩10.4 billion KRW (about $8.92 million USD) after generating ₩83.6 billion KRW (about $71.7 million USD) in sales.

In Q2 of 2021, no YG Entertainment artists released new music, explaining the negative income figures. Sales are expected to rise significantly in the third quarter when BLACKPINK‘s Lisa makes her expected solo debut.

Source: https://www.knetizen.com/hybe-…quarter-profits-for-2021/

• YG had practically no comebacks in this period yet still had higher sales and operating profit than JYP. I guess the strength of BP’s catalog sales, streaming revenue, and endorsements are largely to be the reason for that.

YG must have a lot of debt to pay for that operating profit to turn into negative net income.

• This gives JYP a net profit margin of 12%, SM=10%, and HYBE=7%, and YG with a -2%. (higher is better).

And an operating profit margin of JYP=24%, SM=17%, and HYBE=10%, YG=12%. (again higher is better)

Previous quarter had JYP=37%, SM=SM=7%, YG=6%, and HYBE=10%. Net Margin.

• YG had practically no comebacks in this period yet still had higher sales and operating profit than JYP. I guess the strength of BP’s catalog sales, streaming revenue, and endorsements are largely to be the reason for that.

YG must have a lot of debt to pay for that operating profit to turn into negative net income.

JYP is limited to his groups. YG has many other sources of income such as YGPlus the acting group and other side ventures.

YG/SM/HYBE has other business' and divisions

JYPE is strictly idol groups

YG has around 700~ employees for example and JYPE has 250~

YG is s bigger business, this means larger income but also larger costs. This is why you would see higher sales numbers and and higher costs to YG/SM/ and HYBE as opposed to JYPE. I think JYPE is expanding so their profit should shrink a bit and their costs should rise

• this kind of reports are interesting because...

why they came back in so late august when Q2 ended in last day of June?

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• this kind of reports are interesting because...

why they came back in so late august when Q2 ended in last day of June?

It takes time for the various business units in the company to tabulate all the data. After that they need to put it into a tabulated report for an official release. This takes a while as there are monetary and legal reasons why it must be 100% accurate. These are filed with stock exchange, banks etc... It's a fairly big endeavor and if there are errors can lead to some serious consequences.

• I’m shocked that SM came so close to HYBE tbh. It feels like HYBE runs at such a low cost compared to other companies abs obviously BTS turns a PROFIT m, SMS big groups have been in their end phases recently, kind of winding down and usually around this time their profits dip but I guess SHINee and Aespa???

'*•.¸♡ NewJeans ♡¸.•*'

all this time. . . .。・:*˚:✧。

• I’m shocked that SM came so close to HYBE tbh. It feels like HYBE runs at such a low cost compared to other companies abs obviously BTS turns a PROFIT m, SMS big groups have been in their end phases recently, kind of winding down and usually around this time their profits dip but I guess SHINee and Aespa???

Hybe has made some big business ventures like acquiring Ithaca and some other investments. So not surprised about the profit figure. Maybe after BTS release their upcoming album they may see something

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!