What’s the point of fans praising their faves for being great role-models…

• … when they themself are toxic as hell?

What’s the point of praising your faves for being decent human beings and being great role-models when you … you know… can’t follow their footsteps?

Don’t get me wrong, everyone can praise their faves for whatever… I just think it’s funny when I see people praising their faves for being “respectful” or having “good manners”, when I know they can turn into bullies from 0-100 real quick.

:pepe-cringe:

PS… for those who need it more specific (if they didn’t got it from the OP who I was referring too)… No, not talking about entire fandoms! Yes it’s about individuals! :-)

• Fandoms are not monoliths though. The fans who praise their idols for being great role models are not necessarily the one who are toxic.

Should people stop praising their faves just because of the minority that bully other people lol?

:whatb:

• the op specified fans though... nothing was said about entire fandom groups.

So I read the entire post and title in relation to individual fans.

Because op just mentioned "fans" I took it to mean fans in a general sense. The post makes it seems like any random fan praising their fave can turn into a bully.

It would have been better to specify imo.

• Fandoms are not monoliths though. The fans who praise their idols for being great role models are not necessarily the one who are toxic.

Should people stop praising their faves just because of the minority that bully other people lol?

:whatb:

You maybe missed that part of my OP :-)

Don’t get me wrong, everyone can praise their faves for whatever… I just think it’s funny when I see people praising their faves for being “respectful” or having “good manners”, when I know they can turn into bullies from 0-100 real quick.

How did you read this and understood fandoms? :/

• These toxic individuals are just in their fandoms for bragging rights and to gloat. Everything is a competition to them. In my own fandom, I've seen some toxic folks turn donations into a freaking competition. They're usually shut down and dragged to oblivion pretty quickly by other fans, thankfully, but I think they're cut from the same cloth as the types of people you're talking about.

• Wonderful point, OP.

I also wonder why fans praise their idols as great models or great vocalists when they are not striving to be that as well?

:eyebrowsr:

Joking aside, this kind of question is for toxic individuals (like you said), and it’s not easy to change toxic individuals. You can only change yourself. So no use worrying about things you can’t change ;-)

• These toxic individuals are just in their fandoms for bragging rights and to gloat. Everything is a competition to them. In my own fandom, I've seen some toxic folks turn donations into a freaking competition. They're usually shut down and dragged to oblivion pretty quickly by other fans, thankfully, but I think they're cut from the same cloth as the types of people you're talking about.

Oh yeah… saw donation fights too and I’m like “ I thought we are doing this for a good purpose” :eyes:

Yeah… screams like the same breed lol

• People are self-aware? I can see when someone is a better human being than me, tho I can't say this about any idol because I don't know them personally... I still can praise them for good behaviour because I am not praising myself??? Shouldn't we all aspire to be better?

• Lowkey may be unpopular not sure, but I never got putting an idol as your role model. Or any celebrity tbh. You should people in your life that have had a positive influence as a role model that you can ask for advice and really look up to on a daily basis.

You can say you admire an idol or find them inspiring but if the choice between my Mother who works hard every day but manages to find time to love her children vs my fav idol who can sing well for life advice, Imma choose my Mama lol.

~ ω

• People are self-aware? I can see when someone is a better human being than me, tho I can't say this about any idol because I don't know them personally... I still can praise them for good behaviour because I am not praising myself??? Shouldn't we all aspire to be better?

Like I said, you can praise whoever you want. But I wouldn’t call it self-aware if you can praise someone’s behavior but aren’t trying to change your own.

But you do you I guess. lol

• yeah I was thinking this :pepestare: OP really thought she said something profound

like you dont have to be an artist to praise art, you dont need to be a good person to praise good people?

No, you don’t have too. But the irony is funny.

also praising someone’s art isn’t the same as praising someone’s personality.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!