Koreans don’t really care about Billboard achievements unless....

• This is not about Koreans not feeling proud of the achievement but instead about Koreans actually streaming and supporting the song/album after knowing news. I’m not korean neither live in Korea but this is base on chart performance of the song/ album on digital platforms after the news.

Koreans don’t really care about Billboard achievements unless is something so big or never being done that is literally impossible to hide from the media so obviously Koreans end up watching it in the news and it gets insane buzz.

There is a misconception among kpop fans that expect Koreans to end up streaming and supporting the song/album after charting well on Billboard charts but that doesn’t happen specially with boygroups, for example: SuperM, Monsta x, NCT 127 and TXT groups that got top 10 and even 1 debuts didn’t get any extra or special support at all.

Top 10 debut on billboard 200, which isn’t an easy feature at all, barely gets attention because now a decent amount of groups get it. Currently many 4th generation group stans think that charting on billboard will be equal to Koreans streaming their faves.

I’m not saying it doesn’t help at all but read the second paragraph; UNLESS is something so big or never being done they don’t really care enough to check out the song/album.

• This is true.

BTS have basically made Billboard something normal for K-pop; them being the first group to destroy all prior achievements from Korean acts is one thing that has made their career near impossible to recreate or even follow.

Dynamite is the cherry on top that set that song over the edge (peaking over 700k ULs 2 weeks after release), Gangnam Style was revered as one of Korea's biggest overseas accomplishments for being number 2. Dynamite reaching number 1 cemented them in music history for South Korea.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• Koreans have a lot in common with Americans because most of us don't actually care about Billboard either. :pepe-toilet:

• Top 10 debut on billboard 200, which isn’t an easy feature at all, barely gets attention because now a decent amount of groups get it. Currently many 4th generation group stans think that charting on billboard will be equal to Koreans streaming their faves.

I don't see this happening. If MX and NCT didn't get major boosts from charting on BB and they actually have Korean fanbases, then these 4G BG stans are in for a rude awakening. I'd love to be proven wrong.

I’m not saying it doesn’t help at all but read the second paragraph; UNLESS is something so big or never being done they don’t really care enough to check out the song/album.

There's nothing left.

Artist 100? BTS has the 4th most weeks on top of all time.

Hot 100? BTS has 5 #1s and they will certainly keep raising that number with time.

BB200? BTS has 5 #1s and it will keep going up as long as they release albums.

World Albums, World Digital Song Sales are child's play to them.

They're challenging the all-time record for Digital Song Sales chart.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• The last time I knew what song was #1 on BB it was was Love The Way You Lie from like 2010 Kek. :pepe-toilet:

Outside of BTS which I know about because of this forum and twitter, it's all tied to news... though Dynamite was also related to news since they were the first Korean act.

I remember Old Town Road hitting number 1 because I remember the controversy when it was pulled off the country chart and I remember "All I Want For Christmas" being the first #1 of 2020 and making Mariah the first with #1s in four different decades.

• Outside of BTS which I know about because of this forum and twitter, it's all tied to news... though Dynamite was also related to news since they were the first Korean act.

I remember Old Town Road hitting number 1 because I remember the controversy when it was pulled off the country chart and I remember "All I Want For Christmas" being the first #1 of 2020 and making Mariah the first with #1s in four different decades.

I think I knew it was very popular and very viral in the broad sense. But I didn’t like actively keep track of how many weeks it spent on top or when it reached #1 kekek

I think there was some controversy on it topping the country chart or something but that’s as far my knowledge goes kekeke

• I think I knew it was very popular and very viral in the broad sense. But I didn’t like actively keep track of how many weeks it spent on top or when it reached #1 kekek

I think there was some controversy on it topping the country chart or something but that’s as far my knowledge goes kekeke

Yeah it was a whole thing with people wanting it off the chart because it was rap (like there weren't already country rap songs). tbh I probably know more about the country charts because when I take my aunt to the doctor she listens to country radio in the car. :-D

I just looked up the Billboard 200 and I literally have no idea who #1 is so I definitely wouldn't have got it right if I had to guess.

• Tell that to the fucking losers on stan twt. No one gives a shit about it unless they like data or are just success stans.

It's such a bizarre thing to watch coming up. People probably got more heated about who was number 1 on TRL or on Casey Kasem's countdown when I was a teen (which was the last time I really followed an artist's career closely till I got into kpop).

• Yeah it was a whole thing with people wanting it off the chart because it was rap (like there weren't already country rap songs). tbh I probably know more about the country charts because when I take my aunt to the doctor she listens to country radio in the car. :-D

I just looked up the Billboard 200 and I literally have no idea who #1 is so I definitely wouldn't have got it right if I had to guess.

Unless the act is T. Swift, Adele, BTS, etc., the BB200 now is a battle of which artist has the bigger fandom in streaming or physical sales.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• Lol well i grew up watching charts.

I dont check the songs most the time billboard is filled with trash ngl lmao but i still like to be up to date somewhat.

Dont wanna wake up some day a boomer.

Same, I love random statistics and charts. As a music lover, it's natural for me to check this stuff.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• I don’t think they ever really cared that much. Billboard really just represented something else. Global success. Spreading Korean culture. They don’t care about the charts but more so that they indicate certain acts (BTS, Psy, BP) reached a certain level of international attention/success which spreads Korean culture.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!