The biggest 3rd generation groups in Japan

• 1. BTS: Since Dynamite success (still top 10 on Japan Hot 100 after 49 weeks) BTS status skyrocket in Japan, they are leading streaming and physical sales. Currently have 3 songs in the top 10 on Japan Hot 100 and have the best selling album in Japan in 2021.

2. TWICE: In the last two years their sales have been decreasing due to back to back releases, in the streaming area they are doing insanely well proving their relevancy among GP. They are the second artist with the most streaming certifications in Japan and the best selling kpop gg in 2021 so far.

3. SEVENTEEN: Their latest Japanese single Not Alone debuted at #1 on Japan Hot 100 being the first korean artist to do so in 2021, You Choice (a korean album) has sold over 200k units on Oricon which is super impressive and more than what others do with Japanese releases.

4. BLACKPINK: They haven’t release yet a original Japanese song or album and still are slaying in Japan. They are the 3rd group of the gen with the most streaming certifications and I’m pretty sure their new Japanese album is about to do numbers specially after seeing Lovesick girls reentering to many streaming charts and the Japan Hot 100 list.

5. EXO: SM didn’t care that much about Japan (they were more focus on China) yet EXO name is well known and they are one of the best selling groups in Japan and have sold out Domes.

I think this is the solid top 5 as now, do you agree with the ranking? If you don’t then what is yours?

• Personally I'll put EXO and BP on the same rank, since EXO have better physical sales and touring number it seems. And maybe I'll put Ikon at no 5.

Anyway, overall 3rd gen groups are very weak compared to 2nd gen groups in Japan. From 2nd gen groups we have TVXQ, Bigbang, KARA, SNSD doing extremely well in Japan, other groups like 2pm, Suju, Shinee were doing pretty good as well.

• Personally I'll put EXO and BP on the same rank, since EXO have better physical sales and touring number it seems. And maybe I'll put Ikon at no 5.

Anyway, overall 3rd gen groups are very weak compared to 2nd gen groups in Japan. From 2nd gen groups we have TVXQ, Bigbang, KARA, SNSD doing extremely well in Japan, other groups like 2pm, Suju, Shinee were doing pretty good as well.

Overall, it seems like only BTS and TWICE would really be able to compete with or do better than 2nd gen in Japan.

• Switch 1 and 2. BTS have 3 songs in the top 10 right now, and the entire top 3 in streaming. They shatter streaming records with their singles and they have the best-selling album in Japan for the first half of 2021. Saying BTS is anything but #1 is just lying to yourself.

• Switch 1 and 2. BTS have 3 songs in the top 10 right now, and the entire top 3 in streaming. They shatter streaming records with their singles and they have the best-selling album in Japan for the first half of 2021. Saying BTS is anything but #1 is just lying to yourself.

nobody cares, those are fandom numbers, BTS has low public recognition. For example last night BTS ranked number 1 in the hot 100, and it was not a trend, nobody talked about it (they were overshadowed by naniwa debut)

gp recognition:

E2-CB-lXEAECHFb?format=png&name=large

• Streaming is a niche in Japan, mostly done by teenagers

GP recognition:

GP knowing your name not equal GP buying or streaming your music. Here we are talking about who is the biggest base on NUMBERS not on public opinion.

• GP knowing your name not equal GP buying or streaming your music. Here we are talking about who is the biggest base on NUMBERS not on public opinion.

but they are still fandom numbers xd similar to the American Billboard numbers xd

also, the average Japanese is 45 years old, they don't listen to kpop xd

• Streaming is a niche in Japan, mostly done by teenagers

GP recognition:

When was this data collected and where does it come from? You keep spamming this graphic without giving any context, and it clearly is not matching the music that is being consumed the most in Japan.

• but they are still fandom numbers xd similar to the American Billboard numbers xd

also, the average Japanese is 45 years old, they don't listen to kpop xd

We are in 2021 physical sales and touring is fandom power obviously, no one cares from where the numbers are from if you are breaking all times records lmao.

• When was this data collected and where does it come from? You keep spamming this graphic without giving any context, and it clearly is not matching the music that is being consumed the most in Japan.

It is the 2021 public recognition ranking prepared by the Nikkei newspaper, the oldest and most prestigious newspaper in Japan.

It is still funny how all the fandoms accept this ranking, except one

• We are in 2021 physical sales and touring is fandom power obviously, no one cares from where the numbers are from if you are breaking all times records lmao.

This is the most important "j-netz" forum, look, BTS it's not a trend

ガールズちゃんねる - Girls Channel -
    女子の女子による女子のためのおしゃべりコミュニティ。女子の好きな話題にみんなでコメント、みんなで投票して盛り上がれる匿名掲示板「ガールズちゃんねる」へようこそ。
    girlschannel.net

Last night they weren't a trend either, trend number 1 was this "な に わ 男子 デ ビ ュ ー"

Japan Hot 100 is not very relevant, even the oricon digital ranking is not very relevant either

• It is the 2021 public recognition ranking prepared by the Nikkei newspaper, the oldest and most prestigious newspaper in Japan.

It is still funny how all the fandoms accept this ranking, except one

But what good does people being able to recognize an artist do when they can't match up to others in music consumption

• But what good does people being able to recognize an artist do when they can't match up to others in music consumption

is that nobody cares much if you sell a million or 100k xd if you review the Japanese sales of the last 15/20 years, many artists have sold millions, and nobody remembers them xd Shoujo Jidai (Girls Generation) is the best example

• is that nobody cares much if you sell a million or 100k xd if you review the Japanese sales of the last 15/20 years, many artists have sold millions, and nobody remembers them xd

So let's get this straight, BTS has the most people listening to their music but that is somehow invalid because random people don't recognize them on the street as much as acts who are all over TV and promote far more than they do

• Artists don't have to be known to everyone in every country. If a 80 years old grandpa living in far village dont know BTS, so what?

They are having hits. They are selling million albums. Let touring open in japan and they will shatter that records too. What else an artist can ask for? Let antis have something to breathe! BTS are brand worldwide and sells. Let grandpa oblivious to them. They are not their consumers anyways. No pop artist is

• So let's get this straight, BTS has the most people listening to their music but that is somehow invalid because random people don't recognize them on the street as much as acts who are all over TV and promote far more than they do

"BTS has the most people listening to their music", no, it's their fandom that listens to the same 5 songs 24/7, j-army is not the exception, we all know that army does that xd

• "BTS has the most people listening to their music", no, it's their fandom that listens to the same 5 songs 24/7, j-army is not the exception, we all know that army does that xd

This sounds more like "I can't accept the fact that BTS are popular in Japan, so I must resort to the tried and tested argument of mass fandom buying and streaming"

• Artists don't have to be known to everyone in every country. If a 80 years old grandpa living in far village dont know BTS, so what?

They are having hits. They are selling million albums. Let touring open in japan and they will shatter that records too. What else an artist can ask for? Let antis have something to breathe! BTS are brand worldwide and sells. Let grandpa oblivious to them. They are not their consumers anyways. No pop artist is

there's nothing wrong with being a niche act, like BTS :thumbup:

• This sounds more like "I can't accept the fact that BTS are popular in Japan, so I must resort to the tried and tested argument of mass fandom buying and streaming"

stream parties are not spam to increase the number of streams?

• there's nothing wrong with being a niche act, like BTS :thumbup:

They are among top 5 in revenue in japan. Selling million copies of an album. Learn the definition of niche. Niche is someone like indie artist.

Numbers and sales matter. Not an opinion of someone on kpop forum and some surveys to satisfy your ego.

• stream parties are not spam to increase the number of streams?

You are literally saying these things while giving no proof to back up your claims. Have you analyzed every sale and stream BTS has earned in Japan? How would you know if it's all fandom or not? By that logic, I could say anyone who has sales and streams are fandom driven because I say so.

• They are among top 5 in revenue in japan. Selling million copies of an album. Learn the definition of niche. Niche is someone like indie artist.

Numbers and sales matter. Not an opinion of someone on kpop forum and some surveys to satisfy your ego.

kpop is a niche in all countries except South Korea, and some SEA countries

• You are literally saying these things while giving no proof to back up your claims. Have you analyzed every sale and stream BTS has earned in Japan? How would you know if it's all fandom or not? By that logic, I could say anyone who has sales and streams are fandom driven because I say so.

" Dude trust me" is fact. My opinion matters more than sales and revenue lol

• You are literally saying these things while giving no proof to back up your claims. Have you analyzed every sale and stream BTS has earned in Japan? How would you know if it's all fandom or not? By that logic, I could say anyone who has sales and streams are fandom driven because I say so.

Why do you think j-army is an exception? They are still teenagers, similar to Korean, American, Indian teenagers, etc etc

They use the same tricks xd

• nobody cares, those are fandom numbers, BTS has low public recognition. For example last night BTS ranked number 1 in the hot 100, and it was not a trend, nobody talked about it (they were overshadowed by naniwa debut)

gp recognition:

I dont know what this chart about "celebrity" recognition based on showing their pictures says about BTS's musical impact. The top groups here havent released anything in years, I think, and are all in their 40s and 50s and the top group is basically a collection of TV celebs by now. Of course 70 year olds arent streaming BTS, theyre watching TV. BTS doesnt have time to appear on Japanese TV several times every day.

By the same logic no kpop group ever has had any GP relevance in Korea either, except BTS. Check Gallup for older age groups.

• This thread contains 179 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!