How to engage in a proper argument/debate

• So many times have I seen people arguing over arguing, arguing about different things, dismissing others opinions willy-nilly, using words which could be considered insults or otherwise not helpful to the argument.

Therefore I've created this thread that people may contribute their methods and means of making a proper argument.

Firstly I say argument I don't mean argue like you're trying to win - there is nothing gained by winning - the point of an argument here is to further debate and to create a better understanding of another's perspective.

1. don't use words like delulu or delusional or wrong/right - they don't further the argument and will only seek to antagonize the other party.

2. listen more than you talk but in forum - read and think more than you write or rather read and think before you write.

3. ask questions always - a lot of times the argument goes off track because the parties are misunderstanding the others perspectives thus ask questions like why do you think this, how, what does it mean etc

4. focus on the semantics - that is the presuppositions and implications underlying the argument - a lot of times people are arguing over different things because they don't understand the background, the meaning behind the actual argument they see only the argument they want to see.

5. accept the other's point of view - so many times we think of us vs them attitude. No one is always right and no one is always wrong thus you can acknowledge another's perspective when they make a fair point that actually shows you are reading and thinking.

There's plenty more but yeah feel free to share your own views on what makes a proper/better argument/discussion

Always seek flaws within thyself instead of blaming others.

• I’ve had quite a lot of arguments on this site which might have started with the other user writing something overly defensive or aggressive to me but have ended on a nice note with both of us slightly changing our perspective but also just accepting we see things differently.

My main advice is just stay polite, most people won’t continue being unnecessarily rude to a person who’s nice in return, and don’t intentionally misinterpret something they wrote and keep dragging up small mistakes. Try to understand what they’re saying and you might even realise that you actually agree with each other but were just talking about slightly different things.

• I think point 5 is especially important. To be able to see from the other person’s point of view is the essence of having a good and productive discussion. Unfortunately I don’t think many people, especially online and within K-pop fandoms, will follow any advice like this. lol

• I think point 5 is especially important. To be able to see from the other person’s point of view is the essence of having a good and productive discussion. Unfortunately I don’t think many people, especially online and within K-pop fandoms, will follow any advice like this. lol

I think of it like this - the people that will take the time to come to my thread and read it have already accomplished my goal of increased understanding. It is those people that will be some of the more rational people because they already have that perspective coming to my thread.

And besides there are a lot of people who read are reading this whether they are guests or otherwise that hopefully will get a different perspective on things

I can't remember the context or who said it but if my actions touch the lives of one person then it'll be worth it

• Okay I’m gonna add something that op didn’t mention but helps a shit tone if you’re talking to a person on this forum. ALWAYS LIKE THE POST YOU’RE RESPONDING TO. Even if you don’t agree give it a thumbs up to show that you’re here for a nice conversation. It’s so effective.

Done lol

• That's true and it's meant to be entertaining, but if you look at most threads, they are fighting without any sense and arguing about who's better + they are stressing and frustrating about things instead of having fun. Wouldn't hurt to learn how to debate a bit :D

Absolutely.

I think it’s partly because people often argue bc of emotions rather than facts. Also - and it’s not meant as shade - some users are in their lower teens, thus, still children.

Aaaaaaand let’s not forget there are users who actively enjoys spreading hate, such as grave racism and sexism just to make others sad and upset

• Same. I’ve been involved in scuffles with some individuals especially on the old set up. They can’t accept a difference in opinion/view and keep replying when I’ve told them to stop. In the end I didn’t bother anymore and blocked them. I’m not going to cop a warning or a ban on their part. I suppose it’s just a generation gap thing as I’m a person of considerable age and life experience, they were intimidated by me. I won’t waste my energy on such people.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!