Why do people think National Hits have to vibe well with elders?

• Not for long

I do play basketball tomorrow...hmmm

LSM can't be given the same credit as JYP oppa

Stream the masterpiece

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

you prefer JYP over LSM???

I'm going to crawl back to my hole now... ;(;(;(;(

• as hard at it may look, many national hits by second gen were known by every demographic in korea that's why they were called that in the first place, from babies to old people come out dancing to it. Many also change the curse of said groups career bc it move them from not being know to the nation recognizing them.

Like I said this was more prominent in second gen when people use to watch tv more and idols were basically all over tv, then it move mostly to ggs in 3r gen and 4the gen..well...yep

• Korea is a small country tho, so if a song is a national hit, at least some of the elderly need to know it. Just like even a grandma knew Cheer Up.

• This makes sense because these two categories have different tastes but how do we know wich one hit harder? Maybe search the average age of the contry's population? :melon_think::melon_think:

But only elder ppl liking it doesn't mean youngins do... And old people have way more money to "support" their faves with paid apps, wtv.

Korea's pop is aging, so if we compare the real numbers, the over-40 category is more popular which means a trot song will always be Korea's #1 song for ever.

Which is why the age groups had to be separated.

• idk i'm guessing it has something to do with older people being harder to please and having higher standards as well as less access to modern pop music so when a song resonates well with them it's seen as more worthy...

sidenote pinkcerise does not agree with this point of view

In Korea, the older people mostly listen to trot.

The problem is, in Korea 'trot' basically means everything which is suited for older people, including 'easy listening', 'adult contemporary', etc. Songs sung in the style of 1960s and 1970s are all dumped together. Many of younger trottists have ballad backgrounds and their songs are often hard to distinguish from ballads, which curiously became less popular as trot became dominant in the older segment.

Also, older people find it hard to listen to lyrics in modern kpop songs, and 'trot' singers sing the songs in a way that the words are audible, which is important among the older listeners.

• National Hit - Nation - includes everyone, all ages.

Youngsters actively seek out new experiences, whereas as you grow older you get more selective about what you consume- hence it is more a deal to impress older people.

A true hit would be able to achieve that across age groups.

Statistically it is well established that Kpop's consumption drastically drops once people enter college, jobs etc.

So all the kpoper should remember that time will not spare them either.

However even the genre will age, because people who loved the songs of their 20s will keep them as the benchmark-nostalgia even as they age, so the 1st gen 2nd K-poppers, who would be in their 30s/40s would still enjoy them, but may not enjoy 3rd gen/4th gen - nostalgia value is huge.

That is also why all consumable industries actually prefer to target the teens, because that is the age where most our tastes/worldviews are firmed, sure there will be some evolution after that, but the base is the food liked, the music enjoyed etc. in the teens, for the majority.

So a truly national hit will be popular with both the teens and the older groups.

• I guess some people think for a song to be considered a national hit, it has to be liked by more than just young Kpop fans. National implies the whole nation, and the GP is a lot bigger than just young Koreans in their teens and 20s.

I dont buy this though. It's impossible to write a song that appeals to everyone. I believe in stats, not hearsay about who is listening to a song in Korea.

A national hit for me starts when a song reaches 850M Gaon Points for songs from 2020 and later. For songs before then 900M-1B should be the threshold. Once a song reaches these thresholds, then we can talk about whether it truly qualifies. Some songs are borderline like those songs that never peaked at #1 but stayed on the charts for years at #30 or whatever to accumulate enough points, while other songs that have gone on to reach 1B to 1.5B Gaon points are clearly national hits.

Even songs above 1B are just normal smash hits, a very small number of those songs are in the top tier.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!