Did Kpop create artists' fandom names?

• I always wondered about that and the only thing I found was that sherlock holmes fans were known to have a certain name "first fandom" but that is not a music artist's fan name. Beatles fans were called Beatlesmaniacs but that's just a description for the crazy fans which people used to describe other artists' fans as well. Michael Jackson fans were not named Moonwalkers when he was alive but only got the name in recent years because he was called moonwalker in his old movie (based on his moonwalk dance duh) in fact he once described fans like warriors but didn't mention a specific fandom name like moonwalkers.

Eventually from what I found in search results (which I am not sure about), it said that the first western artist that had a popular fandom name was Justin Beiber but Kpop artists like Super Junior, TVXQ, and SNSD had fandom names before that. Even traced it to old groups in 1996 H>OT had Fandom Name. So I am really curious because now it seems like an essential thing for artists to have from all around the world.

lt64IYu.gif

Edited once, last by Yumeku ().

• No, I don't think so. I think that fandom names from music artists are based off of fandom names for books, movies, show series, sports teams, etc. I think they come from those since fandom names have been around for a long time (especially in sports, I believe) like the Red Sox Nation was a fandom name made in 1986.

ღ Happy Birthday / 10.18.2005 ღ

6f2600f9ca710c96c5228757df28dbe5d21c9ff1.gifv giphy.gif 84e36da9f196e239f5a3bc0d2103c8cce10f4953.gifv

• Official Post

I don't think it was Trekkies, but that's the earliest name I can think of. If you include sports fans it probably goes back a ways.

• I don't know, but maybe kpop is the only one that the group themselves name their fandom? Because in all the western artists I've known it was the own fandom the one that came up with the name and then the artist would notice it and start talking about it too.

But that's just my experience

526d260695f1e6be7fc576a759a81ce9eccaa866.gifv8f41e2de19fd3e53503e1f9bbaecb661064e5000.gifv0a61d4ea7129206fb3db97ab12f606316444f603.gifv

I'm throwing you away for keeping me locked up

• No, I don't think so. I think that fandom names from music artists are based off of fandom names for books, movies, show series, sports teams, etc. I think they come from those since fandom names have been around for a long time (especially in sports, I believe) like the Red Sox Nation was a fandom name made in 1986.

I don't think it was Trekkies, but that's the earliest name I can think of. If you include sports fans it probably goes back a ways.

no I mean fandom names of music artists/singers strictly. No one read my paragraph and it shows :pepecute:

lt64IYu.gif

• I don't know, but maybe kpop is the only one that the group themselves name their fandom? Because in all the western artists I've known it was the own fandom the one that came up with the name and then the artist would notice it and start talking about it too.

But that's just my experience

Yeah that is what usually happens.

• In the sports world, especially football, supporters of teams have had nicknames/fan names for decades - even for more than a century in some cases, and even within a teams supporter group there are occasions where a specific group of ultras has its own name. Why do kpop fans have to say everything starts from kpop. Is it a form of validation or something?

• It's actually Mariah Carey her fans were called Lambs, and the fandom is called Lambily

:pepe-toast:

Edit: She talks about the origin of Lambily in this video at 1:10min

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• In the sports world, especially football, supporters of teams have had nicknames/fan names for decades - even for more than a century in some cases, and even within a teams supporter group there are occasions where a specific group of ultras has its own name. Why do kpop fans have to say everything starts from kpop. Is it a form of validation or something?

I literally asked about music artists.

lt64IYu.gif

• Tbh I don't know many fandom names but from my observation western fandoms are just named after artist's name (like arianators, if I am correct about the name of course lol) while in kpop (and maybe among asian musical acts in overall) name of an act and fandom's name are mostly very different (like BTS- army, TXT-moa) so yeah, mayhaps you're right and in kpop it's more creative at least cause it comes directly from company, they create and announce it, while it the west it just comes up by itself

Edited once, last by kirla ().

• I agree with most people there, I think there were 'fandom names', but not official ones. Kpop groups really make themselves a specific name for their fandoms, and the name isn't just a derivative of the group's name.

For example the Directionners just called that themselves, I don't think their label at some point were like 'here is your name guys'.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!