You agree with this statement? Freedom of speech is also risking saying something that might offend others

• SandyBee3

Changed the title of the thread from “You agree with this statement?” to “You agree with this statement? Freedom of speech is also risking saying something that might offend others”.
  • No, for a whole lot of reasons. First, the freedom of speech doesn't mean you get to say whatever you want, there are still limits (as noted by your comment on hate speech).

But, more importantly, if we constantly worry about offending other people, then we would never say anything. Just like there is a freedom of speech, there is a freedom to be offended. Just because of someone gets offended, doesn't mean what the first person said was wrong. They're welcome to be offended, and then move on with their life.

I left my heart in LA again. Please continue taking good care of it.

• On the issue of people getting offended. People can and will get offended rightfully and wrongfully. People get offended for the most stupid reasons.

At the same time, saying something aloud on purpose one knows will offend others and use excuses like jokes or drop some "hot takes" is also stupid. Wise people just keep most of their (baseless) opinions to themselves.

With these caveats, I think people can say whatever, but at the same time every action should have consequences. Balancing freedom and consequences can be hard. You want people to be able to express ideas that may be controversial, but at the same time we don't want misinformation, lies, hate, and violence incitement to happen freely and go unpunished. Too much or lack of both sides can be harmful to society.

• If we're not talking about hate speech,

To a degree yes, generally there will always be a risk that you may offended someone regardless as we don't all think the same or feel same about things, that's always been the case.

However there's not alot you can really do about that unless you reframe from saying anything at all eliminating at chances of offending someone.

• yes...freedom of speech gives one the right to say basically whatever

BUT it also means you have to be responsible for the consequences of such words...whether those consequences are legal or otherwise...

• Yes, freedom of speech is a wonderful thing but if it’s used to offend or degrade then it’s not. People have to respect other’s opinions and beliefs without judgment and prejudice.

Personally, I’m a sensitive person who doesn’t take kindly to “bitey “ types of people who are opinionated and direct in what they think without regards to other people’s feelings or flaws. People should just think before opening their mouth or hitting that post key,

• Yes, speech should exist even if it offends people if we're going for society based on freedoms. After all who should decide what is offensive in a secular society? I'm an all or nothing person when it comes to political issues like this.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!