Bringing 2nd gen idols back

• Now that After School, 2PM and Nine Muses appeared on MMTG again.

Do you believe that if these idols would have debuted now during 4th gen idols era they would have the same impact like they had in the past?

You can also name other 2nd gen idols, that you think would break records now with their music and style😊

• I think they will.

I mean this isn't the greatest example (because it started with a viral moment), but Brave Girls which is technically 2nd Gen (with a 3rd Gen lineup) are literally one of the top GGs right now in SK.

These groups I think will do well

• 2NE1 debut as a 4th Gen group would be HUGE
    • Sistar debut as a Starship NGG would be huge too (assuming that Starship is as established as it is now, since Sistar kinda was the one that made Starship)
    • T-ara and Kara debuting under MBK/DPS respectively won't have a huge following at the start, but they might have a similar StayC moment
    • 4Minute debut under Cube (instead of LIGHTSUM) would probably do pretty well too
    • miss A debut would be huge as well under JYP
    • And yes lets not forget f(x) debuting under SM, they probably break records

Short answer, yes I think at least the top few groups of the 2nd Gen, would still do well or maybe even better. They definitely will sell a lot more albums, digitally it depends but it probably won't be a complete flop

• I agree with you in all points!

• Search MMTG on YT

2PM performed "My House", Nine Muses did "Dolls" and After School performed "Diva" and "Bang"

I did :-)

Just watched 2PM and AS.

I found it a bit painful for Kaeun not being there - she got excluded by Mnet from IZ*One, and now from this by her former After School members - but it was great to see AS being able to perform this.

Was it a one-time thing? Or will more 2nd gen groups follow?

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• SNSD and DBSK would have been phenomenal, if they'd debut now, they'd have seen explosive growth within the first year.

DBSK's high vocal/dance/performance talents were extraordinary, SNSD's vocal/dance/performance talent would be on a high level too and they would be completely unmatched by any 3rd/4th gen group on the variety level easily winning the hearts and minds of Korean general public.

Big Bang would most likely do very well too, Wonder Girls too.

2NE1, not sure. People have gotten used to girl crush, so they wouldn't stand out for that so much, and I feel K-pop fans would have started to expect different visuals and looks from an YG group now - the bar on visuals has been raised in general since 3rd gen and 4th gen.

But if they had Teddy's songs, they'd do well.

T-ARA, Sistar and KARA, would be slow starters. Only when they'd start getting hit songs, recognition would follow from the general public and K-pop fans. Same for 2PM and Super Junior.

But as soon as they'd start to get recognition and a few hit songs, they'd do well, just like they did in 2nd gen era.

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• True, i don't know how After School decided who would perform. Like e.g. 9Muses decided that the last members who stayed in the group will perform.

Tbh i don't really know if more are coming because T-ARA and U-Kiss also performed there a few months ago.

• Sistar debut as a Starship NGG would be huge too (assuming that Starship is as established as it is now, since Sistar kinda was the one that made Starship)

Cosmic Girls/WSJN didn't do that well, even when Sistar was on the peak of their popularity and Cosmic Girls debuted as the 2nd Starship girl group after Sistar.

Immediate success isn't a guarantee for Starship girl groups apparently, so I feel like Sistar's rise to success if they'd debuted in 4th gen era would be heavily dependent on the hit songs they'd produce over time.

Sistar also debuted in a calmer time period where the 2nd gen group dominance was past its high peak and they started to take longer and longer hiatus breaks, while the 3rd gen groups hadn't risen to their high peaks yet.

I'm not so sure if they'd have done as well with the strong competition as it is now, with a lot of groups at peak level.

SWJ1P.gif

• Cosmic Girls/WSJN didn't do that well, even when Sistar was on the peak of their popularity and Cosmic Girls debuted as the 2nd Starship girl group after Sistar.

Immediate success isn't a guarantee for Starship girl groups apparently, so I feel like Sistar's rise to success if they'd debuted in 4th gen era would be heavily dependent on the hit songs they'd produce over time.

Sistar also debuted in a calmer time period where the 2nd gen group dominance was past its high peak and they started to take longer and longer hiatus breaks, while the 3rd gen groups hadn't risen to their high peaks yet.

I'm not so sure if they'd have done as well with the strong competition as it is now, with a lot of groups at peak level.

I think maybe if Sistar would have debuted now with "Alone" or "Touch my Body" as a summer debut it would be a success because those songs/styles are something that i don't see in K-Pop now.

Of course it depends how the taste of the K-Pop listeners currently is.

• Yes i agree with you on SNSD, imagine if Gee was released now. It will again be a BOP with a signature dance. Lately i've been missing songs with signature dances like what you had with songs from 2nd gen.

For 2ne1 i believe they'd still slay the charts, yes maybe you're right about visuals but people would be blown up because of how they perform. I still think that 2ne1 stage presence is unbeatable

• But Girls generation redebuted 2018? they are 4th gen :pepe-hehe:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Cosmic Girls/WSJN didn't do that well, even when Sistar was on the peak of their popularity and Cosmic Girls debuted as the 2nd Starship girl group after Sistar.

Weird that you say that Sistar debut in a period where 2nd Gen passed it peaked. Sistar debut in 2010 and in the following years, these were their competition

• SNSD 'The Boys' in 2011
    • 2NE1 'I'm The Best' in 2011
    • Kara 'Step' in 2011
    • T-ara 'Roly Poly' in 2011

And Sistar got their first win in 2011 (granted they weren't in direct competition with those songs I mentioned). And they had a huge breakout in 2012 but it's not as if those groups are flopping. In fact, they managed to be even more popular than Big3 JYP miss A who debuted the same year as them.

Of course we wouldn't be able to properly predict how well they would do, but I think they will do pretty well. And you can't exactly use WJSM example to say that a 4th Gen group by Starship (in this example we are assuming Sistar is a 4th gen group) will not do well. I mean CLC didn't do well but (G)I-DLE did well.

Yeah sure immediate success isn't guaranteed but I don't think they will hit like super big with 'Push Push' anyway. I was thinking more of a gradual growth, like getting their first win with 'How Dare You', getting their first No.1 hit on Gaon with 'So Cool' (probably hard now), and maybe a breakout hit like they did.

Sistar had a uniqu charm to them that made them one of the top groups back then despite coming from a nugu company (yes Starship was nugu), kinda like Mamamoo. I do think that if they were a 4th Gen group, they will be able to capture the hearts of SK too

:pepelove1:  :pepelove1:

• But Girls generation redebuted 2018? they are 4th gen :pepe-hehe:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

If SNSD reunion in 2025 will they be 5th Gen?

• I think they'd do pretty well. Remember 2g groups found a lot of success and achievements without any of the benefits of things like social media, bigger YouTube, easier to buy albums etc. Plus a lot of 2g groups were more popular with public than 3 or 4g groups.

• 2pm would have done well even today. Not after school but orange caramel probably would do well in Korea not so much among ifans. MissA will do well even now.

Yes 2PM they would do well! As for After School i think if their debut song is "Bang!" it will be a success because it's different

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!