Why do so many Big 3 group songs have to be "listen to it many times so you can like it"?

• Have you noticed this? For example, when GIDLE released Hwaa people either liked it or didn't. When Mamamoo released their song most people didn't seem to like it, and then they just left it at that. But when it comes to Big 3 groups it's mandatory to give it many many many listens until you start to like it.

• Groups under the big 3 are held up to higher expectations and many people don't want to feel bad if they don't like their song. If you don't like their song, you have to apparently make yourself like it so you feel validated towards that group.

This is a very flawed way of thinking since not every group is going to make good music. But big 3 groups are priveldged in the sense that many fans don't want to believe that they made a bad song, and this means success because that particular song is getting streamed over and over.

• I will give myself as an example here.

I like Twice, not to the point of being a stan, so when they release some song i will listen and knowing that the song isn't bad, just not my taste, i will listen to the song yet again just to make sure if I will put it in my playlist or not.

About others groups, well, they aren't that special in my heart for me to give them "another chance". I think it's more about liking the group/girls and wanting to keep up with their promotion period bc their personalities are great!

• There's no reason besides "it's the big 3" therefore people are more accepting towards them.

Now, keep in mind it's not a bad thing to give a second listen to something you didn't like at first. Sometimes a song is not appreciated only because it doesn't match what people expected of it. But once you listen to it for what it is and not for what you thought it would be, there's a chance you may actually like it.

Of course, there are also people who gonna give many listens to a song, until it clicks, because this song is hot in the moment and they don't want to feel like they're missing out. They don't want to be the weirdo who doesn't like what everyone else likes.

• Groups under the big 3 are held up to higher expectations and many people don't want to feel bad if they don't like their song. If you don't like their song, you have to apparently make yourself like it so you feel validated towards that group.

talk about being a pushover

• Official Post

gidle is a terrible group to bring up because they are the #1 group I've heard "that song just had to grow on me" about.

This is a very flawed way of thinking since not every group is going to make good music. But big 3 groups are priveldged in the sense that many fans don't want to believe that they made a bad song, and this means success because that particular song is getting streamed over and over.

Sounds like peer pressure

• Hmm. This is a tough one. How do you explain something to people who're so rigid and set in their ways, that they'll only believe in 1 possible explanation, namely that people are brainwashing themselves into liking something that they shouldn't have? :/

Aah well... let's try, in baby steps.

1. OP's wrong, completely, right from the start: it's not just Big 3 groups, at the least it's Big 4 groups, but even more, it extends to all kinda songs, regardless the company.

2. Asking other posters to give the same prejudiced conclusion that you already gave in the OP ('it's mandatory to give it many many listens until you like it') is basically asking others to join a circle j*rk :wellr:

3. It's a natural fact of life that there'll be things that you like right from the start, and things that you only like after having experienced it multiple times over time or in other settings, or that you might not like even then. This applies to all kinda things in life.

4. Same for music, music genres and songs. Some you'll like immediately, some you'll only start to like after having listened to it several times. Some you'll never like.

5. Depending on the group and the group's and the song's popularity, K-pop fans might either never give a song a listen, only give it a listen once, or give it a listen several times (nobody got time to listen to every single K-pop album and song that gets released, so choices are made).

6. If a group is popular or the song is popular, chances are higher that people will give the song a listen at least once, and if it's from their bias even several times.

7. Groups of the Big 4 have a lot more fans that stan them. So the chances are higher that fans will give their songs a listen at least once or more.

8. However, fans of a group that isn't from the Big 4 will give their bias group's songs also 1 or more listens.

9. Songs that get multiple listens - due to their popularity, their group's popularity or bc it's someone's bias group - have a higher chance that listeners who didn't like it at first, will start to appreciate it after a few listens (see point 3).

10. The fact that it happens sometimes that people start to like a song after a few times listening to it, doesn't mean they'll always start to like a song after a few times listening to it (see point 3 again).

Ok, that rounds it up nicely. Good luck with it :eyebrowsr:  :danceb:

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• the question is leading your honor!

so many times i've listened to a song and i didn't like it immediately. and not just kpop. Either i hear it again somehow or watch performances and i just end up liking the song. There's no conspiracy or deep meaning to it. Hot Sauce for example, was so jarring on first listen but it kept popping up on my fyp and it got stuck in my head i ended up singing it randomly everywhere. So i went to listen to the whole song again and i liked it. Simple :groovins:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!