CoS: You'd "Butter" Believe That BTS's New Single Is the Song of the Summer

• External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Song of the Week breaks down and talks about the song we just can’t get out of our head each week. Find these songs and more on our Spotify Top Songs playlist. For our favorite new songs from emerging artists, check out our Spotify New Sounds playlist. This week, BTS gifted us with a clear contender for the song of the summer.

BTS, everyone’s favorite international seven-member force of nature, have generously dropped the song of the summer. “Butter” is the bop we’ve been waiting for and marks the group’s second full-length single in English since last year’s earth-shaking “Dynamite.” If “Dynamite” was a shimmering ‘70s-inspired explosion, “Butter” is the next decade’s answer — a synth-drenched, swaggering track sitting comfortably on an addictive bassline.

It’s a given that BTS understands the assignment, and often (as with today’s release) the Bangtan Boys end up tearing up the assignment completely and delivering something all their own. “Butter” feels like driving with the windows down on a sunny morning. It feels like Aperol Spritzes on a rooftop. It feels like a technicolor fever dream — but what, exactly, qualifies it as song of the summer?

Beyond the mind-boggling stats rolling in — Forbes reports that BTS broke their own record with an estimated 3.89 million viewers tuning into the live premiere of the music video — the song is, sonically, bright pop perfection. The chorus is an earworm, and Jungkook’s raspy “get it, let it roll” demands to be played time and time again. Jin slides up to his signature airy upper register before V brings us back down to earth in the second verse, where the harmonies double. Jimin characteristically floats through with ease, reminding us of his “superstar glow” — as if we could forget.

One of the most fun aspects of “Butter” is the inclusion of throwback-infused rap verses from RM and Suga and an outro from J-Hope (who, naturally, steals the dance break in the music video). Suga’s nonchalant “hate us, love us” says it all — it doesn’t matter what the masses say.

BTS is going to keep doing what they’ve been doing so well: obliterating records, delivering bops, and showing up the competition with a wink and a smile. Do we have a song of the summer? You butter believe it, baby.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Butter” feels like driving with the windows down on a sunny morning.

Nailed it. It's so euphoric.

It's such a trip, too.

Like you think the song is going one way with the smooth sexy opening, but then more instruments come in and you're like, "Oh, it's like this," and then the final climax slaps you across the face like, "no, motherfucker, it's like THIS".

Ugh.

So good.

• I am surprised you liked it seeing how you haven't been much into them.

• I think its threatening the position of my favorite BTS pure pop song. Its such a ride, theres nothing unneeded, just pure pop. The build up is so good, it makes you want to listen to it again. Perfectly constructed.

• I am surprised you liked it seeing how you haven't been much into them.

I haven't?

I didn't like Be outside of Blue & Grey, but Map of the Soul: 7 was my favourite k-pop album of 2020.

Are you mistaking me for someone else by any chance, the no-avatars probably run together in most people's minds...

• I think its threatening the position of my favorite BTS pure pop song. Its such a ride, theres nothing unneeded, just pure pop. The build up is so good, it makes you want to listen to it again. Perfectly constructed.

Definitely. I just looped it five times in a godamn row.

You're absolutely right in that it's perfectly constructed. Lean, too, considering how much there is to it. Leaves you wanting more.

I mean, to sort of go off my last post, I guess if anybody does actually know me, they know I don't go for super upbeat music in general. But sometimes you get a song like Butter that is like a wrecking ball. It's impossible to resist it, you just gotta go with it and give in the to the sheer fucking joy it contains.

• I haven't?

I didn't like Be outside of Blue & Grey, but Map of the Soul: 7 was my favourite k-pop album of 2020.

Are you mistaking me for someone else by any chance, the no-avatars probably run together in most people's minds...

I saw your criticism of BE, so thought you were also losing interest in them. Good to know it was just one album.

• She described it perfect lol

It’s like driving down the beachside in a car that does not belong to you off to a party you aren’t paying for the meal :pepemusic:

Exactly it’s like driving down the beachside and side swiping that bitch who just got her driver’s license and got dumped by her boyfriend. Just kidding. Butter is the Best

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!